Landy-Pilot

GasGas or Beta

Hi Guys,

I’ve been contemplating a purchase of a beta xtrainer for a while, I’d heard a little about the gassers then never investigated further.

Various things have been holding me back on a xtrainer mainly regarding the oil injection and capacitors corroding etc. I know the injection can be removed but still was nagging at me. Also the suspension didn’t sound very good but I’m used to that on my crf!

I’m new to 2 strokes btw other than my stihl chainsaws!

From what info I’ve managed to find in the last few days these gassers look really good and there doesn’t seem to be much of, if any issues with the ec300.

I know they are different animals in terms of seat height and gasser having better suspension but other than that would me as a newbie to 2 stroke enjoy a ec300? Seems from what I’ve seen they can lug and stuff?

Most of my riding would be done at slower speed, we have to share our very limited number of trails over here (UK) with a lot of other users.

In terms of maintenance/piston replacement would the gasser be similar to what I’ve seen for xtrainers? As noted above I’m a calm trail rider not a racer. Though with such a bike I may consider some enduro practice days.

The bike over here would be road registered from the dealer which is necessary for connecting our limited trails.

Also I can’t seem to see any info as to whether these are pre mix or injection? I presume premix? and what ratio would this be out of interest?

Thanks in advance guys for helping a potential newbie to the 2 stroke crowd.

Landy,

The EC300 was my intro to 2 strokes. The adjustable power valve let me kind of sneak up on a real 300 with out getting bit.

Had it set pretty mellow and backed it out ( more power) gradually over this last season til it's pretty much all I want. It is a very easy bike to ride and it's easy to stay away from the hit. No whiskey throttle worries. I was going for an Xtrainer when I saw these and the KYB suspension. Both are great bikes though.

Edited by jgl1962
Spelling

Thanks Jgl,

You sound like the perfect respondent! Have you had any problems with yours? Are they premix?

Maybe consider the gasgas ranger rather than the EC? It's more a direct comparison to the xtrainer. The suspension is pretty crap on the X trainer and the electrics are a joke. The engine is excellent. I'd take a punt on the gasgas with kyb suspension. 

Thanks black swan, I saw about the ranger but was surprised to see it’s heavier than the ec can’t understand why. Presume they’ll start to come in stock soon.

Yea it’s all those things putting me off the xtrainer the gas gas seems a more complete package right out of the crate. It looks like they’ve got a different crappy carb for the euro version though, not seen much any euro coverage.

Landy,

Yes premix.

Only issue is that the multi funtion switch that holds the lights estart and horn crapped out a coup,e of weeks ago. Looking for an alternative. I learned the value of a back up kicker which tne gg has. Aside from that 60 hrs with no other issues.

+1 on considering the Ranger. They weren't out when I got the EC. KYB too (I believe) would probably put it ahead of the Xtrainer though the Xtrainer is oil injected which I wouldn't be afraid of. 

• Like 1

Ranger is heavier and built on a bigger frame. KYB suspension, but level unsure.

XTrainer has improved electrical system, and oil injection issues not something to really worry about if you are at least somewhat cognizant of oil level in the tank. Beta estart is virtually bulletproof. Oodles of opportunities to hop up motor is desired. Smaller chassis, Nissin brakes.

• Like 3

I called in at the UK importer the other day as I was nearby and they are fairly close to me anyway.

Very nice and helpful bunch. Was encouraged to see how well stocked they are for parts etc so no worries in that regard. I’m 99% certain my next bike will be a gas gas. I’d like to sit on a ranger before deciding which, but I like how well sorted the ec300 is. Other than a bit of protection I wouldn’t be changing anything.

Here’s a little pic

IMG_8647.JPG

• Like 2

Xtrainer doesn’t hold a candle to the gas gas. I bought an xtrainer and put about 60 hours on it this summer. Then I bought an XC 300 and now my wife rides the xtrainer.  The one thing I will say the beta has over the gas gas is the starter. But that is pretty low on the priority list when you compare them across the board everywhere else. The GG has so much more power and torque (don’t buy into the power mods people talk about on the beta forum, I can tell you it hardly made a difference), it doesn’t lug quite as well but it lugs well enough. We don’t even need to talk about the suspension or handling. The GG feels so tight and planted. The xtrainer was squirrely, unpredictable, and downright scary.  I’ve read reports of guys who have dumped a ton of money into the XT suspension and still say that it’s scary at speeds, I imagine because of the smaller chassis provides a loose feeling. Claimed weight, the gasgas is heavier, but I can tell you it feels lighter when riding it, again probably because of the chassis and suspension. 

I think the xtrainer would be a good bike for someone who’s VERY short, or If you’re a very good trials rider and you want to transition your skills to a full size bike, the xtrainer would be a good link...I think this is what it was actually designed for. 

If you like going fast, climbing big hills, riding gnarly terrain and single track... get the GG. 

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, MixinGasKickinAss said:

If you like going fast, climbing big hills, riding gnarly terrain and single track... get the GG. Beta RE.

FIFY 😉

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 5:40 AM, MixinGasKickinAss said:

If you like going fast, climbing big hills, riding gnarly terrain and single track... get the GG.

Serious question: How do you ride gnarly single track fast? IMO, if you're riding fast it ain't gnarly.

6 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Serious question: How do you ride gnarly single track fast? IMO, if you're riding fast it ain't gnarly.

Don’t be silly shrub.  I didn’t say riding fast in gnarly single track. Those commas represent a separation between each thing I listed. I’m just going to assume that you’re drunk and let this one slide 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/24/2018 at 3:40 AM, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Xtrainer doesn’t hold a candle to the gas gas. I bought an xtrainer and put about 60 hours on it this summer. Then I bought an XC 300 and now my wife rides the xtrainer.  The one thing I will say the beta has over the gas gas is the starter. But that is pretty low on the priority list when you compare them across the board everywhere else. The GG has so much more power and torque (don’t buy into the power mods people talk about on the beta forum, I can tell you it hardly made a difference), it doesn’t lug quite as well but it lugs well enough. We don’t even need to talk about the suspension or handling. The GG feels so tight and planted. The xtrainer was squirrely, unpredictable, and downright scary.  I’ve read reports of guys who have dumped a ton of money into the XT suspension and still say that it’s scary at speeds, I imagine because of the smaller chassis provides a loose feeling. Claimed weight, the gasgas is heavier, but I can tell you it feels lighter when riding it, again probably because of the chassis and suspension. 

I think the xtrainer would be a good bike for someone who’s VERY short, or If you’re a very good trials rider and you want to transition your skills to a full size bike, the xtrainer would be a good link...I think this is what it was actually designed for. 

Well first of all an Xtrainer is a particular kind of bike that is in its own type of class. It’s not an xc. For a comparable bike go to a 300 rr or a 300 race edition if comparing. Beta starts an inch or so lower seat height right away from he start. You wouldn’t compare a ktm freeride to a gasgas xc. I think the freeride is also sort of in its own certain class too.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MixinGasKickinAss said:

Don’t be silly shrub.  I didn’t say riding fast in gnarly single track. Those commas represent a separation between each thing I listed. I’m just going to assume that you’re drunk and let this one slide 

Holy chit, so you’re saying the gasser does all that better than the x-trainer? Ok then, but what about commuting on it, or two up? Is the gasser better than the x-trainer for this too? :D

Keep in mind that all Beta 2-strokes are almost street legal from the factory with hi/low beam headlight, rear brake & tail light, horn, DOT knobby tires, and wired for turn signals.

2 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Well first of all an Xtrainer is a particular kind of bike that is in its own type of class. It’s not an xc. For a comparable bike go to a 300 rr or a 300 race edition if comparing. Beta starts an inch or so lower seat height right away from he start. You wouldn’t compare a ktm freeride to a gasgas xc. I think the freeride is also sort of in its own certain class too.

Yes I know. Op asked specifically about the xtrainer and gasgas so I have him an honest comparison since I have both bikes.  I’m sure the RR is comparable and then it would just come down to personal preference. 

42 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Holy chit, so you’re saying the gasser does all that better than the x-trainer? Ok then, but what about commuting on it, or two up? Is the gasser better than the x-trainer for this too? :D

I can’t imagine buying a 300 2 stroke for commuting so I’m not sure. But I can tell you that the gasgas doesn’t spooge an oily mess. It spooges 100$ bills and boobie tassels 

• Like 1