Snotrub

newmexico Haystack in Roswell?

Can someone give me some intel on Haystack Mountain OHV outside of Roswell?  I'm in Roswell often and have wanted to ride there, I just haven't had the chance.  Is it double track, sandy, technical, open fire road, etc?  Is it worth hauling my bike with me the next time I'm there?  Thanks in advance.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, Snotrub said:

Can someone give me some intel on Haystack Mountain OHV outside of Roswell?  I'm in Roswell often and have wanted to ride there, I just haven't had the chance.  Is it double track, sandy, technical, open fire road, etc?  Is it worth hauling my bike with me the next time I'm there?  Thanks in advance.

Look at riding at Cloudcroft not too far from Roswell,Lincoln National Forest There are several trails there.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:50 AM, Huskydog14 said:

Look at riding at Cloudcroft not too far from Roswell,Lincoln National Forest There are several trails there.

Thanks for the reply.  Cloudcroft is on my list to ride, but I'm in Roswell quite often for a day or two at a time, sometimes a whole weekend.  It's only a 3 hour drive from my house and I go there to shoot skeet and for competitions.  I just don't know if it would be worth to to haul my bike with me.

1 hour ago, Snotrub said:

Thanks for the reply.  Cloudcroft is on my list to ride, but I'm in Roswell quite often for a day or two at a time, sometimes a whole weekend.  It's only a 3 hour drive from my house and I go there to shoot skeet and for competitions.  I just don't know if it would be worth to to haul my bike with me.

A group of us are going to be there in mid May to ride for 5 days maybe you could meet up with us . We are renting cabins in the area,this is taking the place of our usual Moab meet up, so there are guys from all over coming.

21 hours ago, Huskydog14 said:

A group of us are going to be there in mid May to ride for 5 days maybe you could meet up with us . We are renting cabins in the area,this is taking the place of our usual Moab meet up, so there are guys from all over coming.

Sounds fun. Keep me posted on your dates.  👍

It's all of that. There are many miles of trails there, with varied conditions. Our club hosts a trials there several times a year, and with all the rocks it's a great place for that. Be aware that even the easiest trails can be too much for some riders. I have seen a few that couldn't leave the parking lot because the start of the ride was too hard. But if you have a good dirt bike and are somewhat experienced you'll have a great time. It's a very big place, with no shade or water once you're away from the parking lot so be prepared. You can be a long way from help in a short time. Enjoy!

8 minutes ago, nobade said:
On 11/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, Snotrub said:

It's all of that. There are many miles of trails there, with varied conditions. Our club hosts a trials there several times a year, and with all the rocks it's a great place for that. Be aware that even the easiest trails can be too much for some riders. I have seen a few that couldn't leave the parking lot because the start of the ride was too hard. But if you have a good dirt bike and are somewhat experienced you'll have a great time. It's a very big place, with no shade or water once you're away from the parking lot so be prepared. You can be a long way from help in a short time. Enjoy!

Thank you.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I've been in the parking lot loop and wondered to myself where the trails start.  I saw the steep drop off on the right side of the loop and figured that was the beginning.  Looked interesting to me. 

I probably should ride alone my first time there.  I followed a group from Roswell on FB that hosts rides throughout the year, but haven't seen any rides posted lately. It's called: Dirt Bike, MX, Dual Sport, Trials and Enduro Riders of Roswell.  

There is a map posted on the kiosk right by the bathrooms that gives you an overview. I don't know if the local rangers have maps or not, possibly on their web site. Trails start either next to the caretaker parking site or over in the NE corner of the parking lot. They all connect out and about just off that Mesa.

• Like 1

Damn, that looks fun.  I guess I take my XCW the next time I head to Roswell.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Snotrub said:

Damn, that looks fun.  I guess I take my XCW the next time I head to Roswell.  Thanks for posting.

A lot of it is like what we have up here, and it is fun.  I love high desert riding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

A lot of it is like what we have up here, and it is fun.  I love high desert riding.

Man our area sucks, people shouldn’t waste their time, it’s all better everywhere else...😎

3 minutes ago, TeamGreenPilot said:

Man our area sucks, people shouldn’t waste their time, it’s all better everywhere else...😎

Yeah, like Roswell. :lol:

I was able to ride Haystack Saturday and it was AWESOME!!!  The FB page I follow and I noted in a previous post were getting together for a group ride and I got to tag along.  What an amazing place.  As mentioned earlier, even the easiest trails were more technical than I'm used to.  I made it through though and am sore as he'll today.  Worth it , though.

• Like 1