supercross Peick Injury

Here's another question...
Does The Auto Trader Suzuki team have any sort of medical assistance for him to help with the Bills while he was racing (being employed) by them?

I’m sure they will help some. But I read the way the contracts are wrote up the riders are private contractors so they are reliable for their own insurance and injury’s

Holy crap.  Haven't been on the .net for a few days and this just sucks.  I hope he can have a good recovery from this.

Not to minimize his injuries at all...this may be the opportunity Dean Wilson could take advantage of.

Edited by yzernie

1 hour ago, C2.0 said:

Here's another question...
Does The Auto Trader Suzuki team have any sort of medical assistance for him to help with the Bills while he was racing (being employed) by them?

No, and that race he wasn't under their employment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I have watched the crash footage and have seen worse many times.  The Anderson crash at the MX of Nations looked a lot more terrifying to me.  I thought I just watched Anderson die when he took that hit to the head.

The Peick crash footage doesn't LOOK all that much different from many second turn incidents.  Think making it through the first turn unscathed and then after accelerating out of the 2nd turn you get out of shape and tumble in that section.  We have all seen that many times and nothing bad happens.  In this case Peick got landed on and even that is "somewhat" common.  However he isn't moving once his tumbling stops and is immediately placed on a stretcher.  And I watched the footage prior to learning how bad the injuries were.  One angle from way across the stadium looks very benign but the other footage from closer to the crash is pretty scary.  I won't watch it again knowing the outcome.

The fact that the first surgery will allow him to breathe through his neck has me convinced he must have had a chest tube in place.  THAT sounds really bad.  But I suspect reports indicating no brain damage must relate to the amount of time it took get him breathing again and they were concerned with oxygen starvation.  

No spinal cord injury and no brain damage are good signs so hopefully he'll recover fully with minimal visible signs.  I have seen news footage of folks who got in really bad car wrecks and it took talented plastic surgeons to get them looking pretty close to normal but many times they do just that.  Fingers crossed Peick comes out well.

NC

I think it is hard to tell about these kinds of injuries just from "what the crash looks like". A few millimeters one way or the other can sometimes mean the difference between brain damage, paralysis, or walking away unscathed. I have a family member who fell off a ladder from a modest height but hit his head and he has never worked or had a normal life ever again and he looks as "normal" as he did the day it happened. But believe me things have never been the same. Induced comas are usually not a good sign in my experience at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

I think it is hard to tell about these kinds of injuries just from "what the crash looks like". A few millimeters one way or the other can sometimes mean the difference between brain damage, paralysis, or walking away unscathed. I have a family member who fell off a ladder from a modest height but hit his head and he has never worked or had a normal life ever again and he looks as "normal" as he did the day it happened. But believe me things have never been the same. Induced comas are usually not a good sign in my experience at least.

The unsaid here is,

closed head injury

increased cranial pressure 

• Like 1

Hence the road2recovery funding site.
I dont work in the industry and I have never heard of road2recovery
All I know is if I get hurt at work or not I get fixed without a $100,000 bill to pay

1 minute ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

He has a contract with JGR

Yes but I thought @GBowman was saying that he wasn't working for them when it happened. Do they still cover him no matter?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

The unsaid here is,

closed head injury

increased cranial pressure 

Damn.

My family member was in an induced coma for a while too. He had to learn his way back just for the basics on recovery and did ok, but a few years later the injury induced early onset Alzhiemers. Just sucks.

1 minute ago, Chaconne said:

Damn.

My family member was in an induced coma for a while too. He had to learn his way back just for the basics on recovery and did ok, but a few years later the injury induced early onset Alzhiemers. Just sucks.

There is a big leap from induced coma to sedation, just saying.

Induced Coma was stated somewhere but his GF pain statement would

believe me to be a sedation issue.  We really do not know.  

• Like 2

Its a serious thing and he could use and needs contributions, Im going to be giving something to try to help.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

There is a big leap from induced coma to sedation, just saying.

Induced Coma was stated somewhere but his GF pain statement would

believe me to be a sedation issue.  We really do not know.  

I am sure you know way way more than me about this. I have no medical knowledge at all,  and can only go from one experience. Hope you are right.

It is a risky thing to race overseas getting hurt in another country can become wildly expensive I'm sure. 

Lots of guys fly home before receiving treatment if possible for insurance reasons, not sure exactly how it works if you owe for medical bills in a different country..

3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

As a former EMT what bothered me most about the crash is the way he was handled after he crashed.  No assessment of any sort, no stabilizing c spine, just rolled him over onto a stretcher and carted him off.

I thought the same but maybe they saw something so bad they had to move him to save his life.

And if his jaw was completely gone, there may have been nothing to brace the collar that normally fits snugly underneath the chin/jaw area.

NC

• Like 1

Regarding the $$$, he is probably on his own depending on what medical insurance he has.  If for none other than humanitarian reasons, France will likely do any repair work that is needed until he is stabilized and can fly home.  I doubt France will have any way to collect money from him other than to send him a bill whereas in the US they could come after his assets.  If he needs ten surgeries, I can see where the doctors who do the first four (say it takes four to get him stabile) would prefer to do the next six as they performed the first ones and know what they are working with.

I hope the next couple weeks sees rapid improvement.  And it will be interesting to find out what actually happened as this is the first injury of this type and severity that I am aware of.  It did look like his helmet or face area go landed on by the other bike but it’s tough to make that call based on the footage seen so far.

NC

With all the riff raff France and the rest of the western world allow in their country, taking care of Weston should be no big deal and they should do so willingly as far as I’m concerned. He’s paid more in taxes from his earnings over the years racing in France than most migrants.....

• Like 2

RacerX just posted an update.  The first surgery to repair damage done to the nose, eye sockets, shattered jaw and jaw disengagement from the skull on both sides was successful.  He is under mild sedation to help with what they describe as the tremendous pain he is enduring.  I can only imagine.

NO BRAIN OR SPINAL CORD DAMAGE.  FULL RECOVERY EXPECTED!  That is the good news.

What really pisses me off is the reported medical costs.  Road2Recovery says his medical flight back to the US will cost $104,000.  Yes, $104,000 just to fly him home.  What a bunch of bullshit!  How much money are people making off his situation??????  If I ever won the lottery I’d buy a small business jet and fly people like him for free to their home countries.  Charging $104,000 for a ten hour flight just fries me.  If he is on a respirator that is one thing but if he merely needs a wheel chair to get him on the plane then wheel him into first class after giving him a handful of hydrocodone pills.  I am sure it is more complicated than this but I still can’t believe the ridiculous costs involved.

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Like 3