supercross Peick Injury

5 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

RacerX just posted an update.  The first surgery to repair damage done to the nose, eye sockets, shattered jaw and jaw disengagement from the skull on both sides was successful.  He is under mild sedation to help with what they describe as the tremendous pain he is enduring.  I can only imagine.

What really pisses me off is the reported medical costs.  Road2Recovery says his medical flight back to the US will cost $104,000.  Yes, $104,000 just to fly him home.  What a bunch of bullshit!  How much money are people making off his situation??????  If I ever won the lottery I’d buy a small business jet and fly people like him for free to their home countries.  Charging $104,000 for a ten hour flight just fries me.  If he is on a respirator that is one thing but if he merely needs a wheel chair to get him on the plane then wheel him into first class after giving him a handful of hydrocodone pills.  I am sure it is more complicated than this but I still can’t believe the ridiculous costs involved.

NC

he aint flying commercial at those prices.  probably a specialized aircraft with a team of doctors nurses, pilots, that bill is gonna get steep quick. 

• Like 4

RacerX just posted an update.  The first surgery to repair damage done to the nose, eye sockets, shattered jaw and jaw disengagement from the skull on both sides was successful.  He is under mild sedation to help with what they describe as the tremendous pain he is enduring.  I can only imagine.

What really pisses me off is the reported medical costs.  Road2Recovery says his medical flight back to the US will cost $104,000.  Yes, $104,000 just to fly him home.  What a bunch of bullshit!  How much money are people making off his situation??????  If I ever won the lottery I’d buy a small business jet and fly people like him for free to their home countries.  Charging $104,000 for a ten hour flight just fries me.  If he is on a respirator that is one thing but if he merely needs a wheel chair to get him on the plane then wheel him into first class after giving him a handful of hydrocodone pills.  I am sure it is more complicated than this but I still can’t believe the ridiculous costs involved.

NC

Well I am sure if he was able British airways could do it so we suspect more care is needed,

What fries me is the amount of regulation of that flight as well as the cost of durable medical goods the liability 

insurance ect ect ect.  So now look at how many pay a "Bill", all of this is just too ugly for me.   

11 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

NO BRAIN OR SPINAL CORD DAMAGE.  FULL RECOVERY EXPECTED!  That is the good news.

NC

Amazing how much everything costs these days. I’m starting to wonder if having a system like the Canadians have would be better. I know it’s not optimal but the corporations have their grimy hands all in ours. Hoping for a full recovery for Weston.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DesertCR said:

Amazing how much everything costs these days. I’m starting to wonder if having a system like the Canadians have would be better. I know it’s not optimal but the corporations have their grimy hands all in ours. Hoping for a full recovery for Weston.

Switzerland and follow the system to the letter

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

Switzerland and follow the system to the letter

Yeah but EVERYTHING in Switzerland is crazy expensive.  I took an extended tour of Europe this past summer and made the mistake of having laundry done. In Germany 5 Euros and they washed all my dirties for me.  Given that I was on a motorcycle is wasn't that much to wash.  So in Switzerland I just asked for it to be done without asking about the cost.  The bill, $60 dollars.  Each T-shirt, $5 each.  Shorts, $10 each.  I left Switzerland after three days as I was going broke.  Beautiful country, great people but the cost of living is through the roof and I don't know enough about the entire system to figure out how it works.  Met a fellow rider as I got close to Monaco and he got pulled over for speeding in Switzerland.  He was going in excess of 100 mph (not kph).  They had him on the side of the road for about 20 minutes.  They handed him a citation for $3,500 and said we either take your VISA card or you, to jail.  He handed over his card.

Having said all this I don't talk much about health care as it seems way too complicated and yet how can it be so expensive????

NC

Edit:  And yeah the bill says Lingerie you potential pervs but that is just what they call all laundry.  Four shirts at 6, not 5 and two shorts at 10.  Crazy man!

99-LaundryBillrotated.jpg

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Like 2

Yeah but EVERYTHING in Switzerland is crazy expensive.  I took an extended tour of Europe this past summer and made the mistake of having laundry done. In Germany 5 Euros and they washed all my dirties for me.  Given that I was on a motorcycle is wasn't that much to wash.  So in Switzerland I just asked for it to be done without asking about the cost.  The bill, $60 dollars.  Each T-shirt, $5 each.  Shorts, $10 each.  I left Switzerland after three days as I was going broke.  Beautiful country, great people but the cost of living is through the roof and I don't know enough about the entire system to figure out how it works.  Met a fellow rider as I got close to Monaco and he got pulled over for speeding in Switzerland.  He was going in excess of 100 mph (not kph).  They had him on the side of the road for about $20.  They handed him a citation for $3,500 and said we either take your VISA card or you, to jail.  He handed over his card.

Having said all this I don't talk much about health care as it seems way too complicated and yet how can it be so expensive????

NC

Edit:  And yeah the bill says Lingerie you potential pervs but that is just what they call all laundry.  Four shirts at 6, not 5 and two shorts at 10.  Crazy man!

Laundry I use Chinese 

48 minutes ago, DesertCR said:

To clarify the myth of free healthcare - as a natural born Canadian living in Canada from birth we are taxed by our local municipal government if we own property, taxed on income from our province and taxed in income from the federal government. We are taxed anywhere from 5-13% on every dollar we spend. Our gas (which in some cases comes from Canada) is taxed through the roof. I’m paying about $5 US per gallon which is mostly tax. At the end of the day most working Canadians take home 30 cents on the dollar and I’m being generous here.

So we don’t have free health care unless you’re an immigrant on welfare or a native indian. Enough on that. 

Whenever I race or ride my bike in the US I buy special insurance as I wouldn’t have any medical coverage as soon as I leave Canada. I would hope all the professionals would buy extra insurance if it’s available to them. 

I’m very sad this injury happened and Weston has been in my prayers for his recovery.

• Like 7

Yeah but EVERYTHING in Switzerland is crazy expensive.  I took an extended tour of Europe this past summer and made the mistake of having laundry done. In Germany 5 Euros and they washed all my dirties for me.  Given that I was on a motorcycle is wasn't that much to wash.  So in Switzerland I just asked for it to be done without asking about the cost.  The bill, $60 dollars.  Each T-shirt, $5 each.  Shorts, $10 each.  I left Switzerland after three days as I was going broke.  Beautiful country, great people but the cost of living is through the roof and I don't know enough about the entire system to figure out how it works.  Met a fellow rider as I got close to Monaco and he got pulled over for speeding in Switzerland.  He was going in excess of 100 mph (not kph).  They had him on the side of the road for about $20.  They handed him a citation for $3,500 and said we either take your VISA card or you, to jail.  He handed over his card.
NC

99-LaundryBillrotated.jpg.0767d979df7a99f2f6a3852817133d46.jpg

Commando.
  • Haha 2

This is some real shitty news as I have not been on here in days.  Since he is most likely intubated he will be severely sedated (induced coma) in order to keep him safe from himself (panicking, pulling lines/tubes, etc).  and to allow his healthcare team the ability to properly care for him.  He will at some point (may already be) have what they call, daily sedation holidays.  Decrease sedation enough to check his neuro status.  Pray for him and his family.

• Like 1

Adding to the health care cost discussion, I had surgery on my shoulder awhile back and was self pay (no insurance) The cost for the operating room alone was $4,500, for an hour long surgery. When i asked why it was so high, they told me that was the discount rate, it was normally $45,000. So if I had insurance it would have been 45k, but since I didn't it was 4,500. I guess I feel good that I got the discount, but what a joke the medical system has become. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, andyvp said:

looks like Weston got hit by the turning rear tire of subeyras bike when laying on the ground !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKLxotDTra4

I think the damage was done right before that, looks like his skid plate landed right on his head/face. The camera doesn't really catch it, but that's what looks like happens

• Like 1

you're right but the cutting wounds and the bleeding could come from the tire hitting his face i suppose ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

NC

Counterpoint...

Pay a little more for convenience services, maybe fuel too, but never have to see another friend or family member financially devastated for the rest of their lives because they got cancer?  I'd do it.  I know it's not that simple, but having had several people I am close to end up with a 300,000+ (after insurance pays their part) dollar bill when they make 60 a year is heart breaking, even worse since they can't work due to their illness.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dklassen said:

To clarify the myth of free healthcare - as a natural born Canadian living in Canada from birth we are taxed by our local municipal government if we own property, taxed on income from our province and taxed in income from the federal government. We are taxed anywhere from 5-13% on every dollar we spend. Our gas (which in some cases comes from Canada) is taxed through the roof. I’m paying about $5 US per gallon which is mostly tax. At the end of the day most working Canadians take home 30 cents on the dollar and I’m being generous here.

So we don’t have free health care unless you’re an immigrant on welfare or a native indian. Enough on that. 

Whenever I race or ride my bike in the US I buy special insurance as I wouldn’t have any medical coverage as soon as I leave Canada. I would hope all the professionals would buy extra insurance if it’s available to them. 

I’m very sad this injury happened and Weston has been in my prayers for his recovery.

You know this sounds a lot like California. And yet we have many taxes but still have to pay $ for health coverage...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

What really pisses me off is the reported medical costs.  Road2Recovery says his medical flight back to the US will cost $104,000.  Yes, $104,000 just to fly him home.  What a bunch of bullshit!  How much money are people making off his situation??????  If I ever won the lottery I’d buy a small business jet and fly people like him for free to their home countries.  Charging $104,000 for a ten hour flight just fries me.

It does seem high, but I just googled some things and LA to London (I know, he is in Paris, close enuf for this) is about 11.5 hours non-stop. I'm assuming thats commercial and like 747 plane. A private charter, via a google search, came up with the following result:

So what will it cost to fly private charter? You can expect to pay, on average, from $1,100 to $1,950 per flying hour for executive turboprops, $1,950- to $2,500 per hour for small cabin jets, $2,500 to $4,600 for mid cabin jets and $4,600 to $7,600 per flying hour for a large cabin jet charter. Apr 13, 2012

Note, that is 6 years ago, but lets use it. And assume 4000 per hour x 12 hours = 48,000.  Thats one way and the info I saw said he'll need medical assistance (or he'd just go commercial) so add in all their time, the fact that the plane needs to go round trip, etc and I can see how they get to $100k.

Dunno if you guys have seen the rest of that vid, but how they just rolled him onto the stretcher was shocking to me.  Did they even stop the race??  If I were a pro racer, there is no way I'd go to Paris for that race based on how they handled him after the accident.  TONS to lose, and what to gain??

Heres the rest of that vid, slow it to 25% to get a better look.

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I thought the same but maybe they saw something so bad they had to move him to save his life.

And if his jaw was completely gone, there may have been nothing to brace the collar that normally fits snugly underneath the chin/jaw area.

NC

The guy at the head still should have had his forearms on each side of the helmet and hands on his shoulders to stabilize the head as they rolled him.  Wouldn't have taken any longer and possibly saved further injury.  Turns out that was irrelevant, but looking at it through an emergency medic's eyes that was my initial reaction.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The guy at the head still should have had his forearms on each side of the helmet and hands on his shoulders to stabilize the head as they rolled him.  Wouldn't have taken any longer and possibly saved further injury.  Turns out that was irrelevant, but looking at it through an emergency medic's eyes that was my initial reaction.

Ahhh....I see that you posted the same concerns a couple pages back. They didn't even look at him!  Just rolled him over like a friggin sack of potatoes!  I'm no medic, but dang!!

EDIT - Ok, watched it again, the first guy to him did look into Weston's helmet/face. Obviously he would likely have seen lots of damage based on the amount of blood after they rolled him over. Still concerns me about the roll over. I'm guessing they sedated and intubated him in the ambulance.

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1

Was that a Fly F2 Carbon w/ MIPS helmet? maybe no helmet would have made a difference but sure makes you think about it. This could be any of us. Doesnt take a pro sx race to get your number called. 'Im going to look into anything ThumperTalk can do to help.  unlucky