supercross Peick Injury

I was about to post the same thing you did.

It has been reported he is currently in a drug induced coma and has "no less than" ten major fractures to his face.  He is swollen and unrecognizable.  The first surgery has already been performed so he can breathe through his neck.  He was sedated as soon as he left the track.  It must have been REALLY bad.  I cannot believe it is so given that he had a full coverage helmet but maybe the frame rails from Souberas (sp?) bike crushed the helmet.

Best wishes to Peick and his family and towards a full recovery!  Anyone know how to start a gofundme for Weston Peick?

NC

From his Fiance's Instagram Post:

Thank-you for all your thoughts and prayers for Weston and I as he recovers from this awful crash. Updating is extremely difficult because I prefer privacy right now, but the outpouring of concern and questions deserves some insight. Weston has no less than ten significant facial fractures. The first surgery was spent rebuilding his jaw so he could breath through his neck. He was cut open extensively and once he awakens from an induced coma he will be in tremendous pain. He is swollen and bruised so badly that his face is unrecognizable. The road to recovery will be long and painful. More surgeries will be needed. Recovery has only just begun. We are in France and the language barrier is making things even more difficult. I am as broken as he is. 💔 There are no words to describe the pain. 

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just horrific.  I don't think I want to see a video of the crash.

Thoughts are definitely with Weston, his family & fiance.  If anyone can fight through this recovery, he sure as heck can.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

It has been reported he is currently in a drug induced coma and has "no less than" ten major fractures to his face.  He is swollen and unrecognizable.  The first surgery has already been performed so he can breathe through his neck.  He was sedated as soon as he left the track.  It must have been REALLY bad.  I cannot believe it is so given that he had a full coverage helmet but maybe the frame rails from Souberas (sp?) bike crushed the helmet.

Best wishes to Peick and his family and towards a full recovery!  Anyone know how to start a gofundme for Weston Peick?

NC

Thank-you for all your thoughts and prayers for Weston and I as he recovers from this awful crash. Updating is extremely difficult because I prefer privacy right now, but the outpouring of concern and questions deserves some insight. Weston has no less than ten significant facial fractures. The first surgery was spent rebuilding his jaw so he could breath through his neck. He was cut open extensively and once he awakens from an induced coma he will be in tremendous pain. He is swollen and bruised so badly that his face is unrecognizable. The road to recovery will be long and painful. More surgeries will be needed. Recovery has only just begun. We are in France and the language barrier is making things even more difficult. I am as broken as he is. 💔 There are no words to describe the pain. 

sounds career ending sadly

I had no idea it was that bad ,hope he gets better to at least live a normal life

• Like 2

I have watched the crash footage and have seen worse many times.  The Anderson crash at the MX of Nations looked a lot more terrifying to me.  I thought I just watched Anderson die when he took that hit to the head.

The Peick crash footage doesn't LOOK all that much different from many second turn incidents.  Think making it through the first turn unscathed and then after accelerating out of the 2nd turn you get out of shape and tumble in that section.  We have all seen that many times and nothing bad happens.  In this case Peick got landed on and even that is "somewhat" common.  However he isn't moving once his tumbling stops and is immediately placed on a stretcher.  And I watched the footage prior to learning how bad the injuries were.  One angle from way across the stadium looks very benign but the other footage from closer to the crash is pretty scary.  I won't watch it again knowing the outcome.

The fact that the first surgery will allow him to breathe through his neck has me convinced he must have had a chest tube in place.  THAT sounds really bad.  But I suspect reports indicating no brain damage must relate to the amount of time it took get him breathing again and they were concerned with oxygen starvation.  

No spinal cord injury and no brain damage are good signs so hopefully he'll recover fully with minimal visible signs.  I have seen news footage of folks who got in really bad car wrecks and it took talented plastic surgeons to get them looking pretty close to normal but many times they do just that.  Fingers crossed Peick comes out well.

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

NC

I read about it on RacerX, but it was not this detailed. How on earth did this happen? A drug induced coma! I will be praying for GOD to spare his life for sure. I am a fan.

3 hours ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

sounds career ending sadly

Weston can make it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jz125 said:

I read about it on RacerX, but it was not this detailed. How on earth did this happen? A drug induced coma! I will be praying for GOD to spare his life for sure. I am a fan.

Weston can make it.

Agree that if anyone can come back it will be Weston.  👍

I don't want to belittle his situation but if his injuries are mostly cosmetic he'll have to decide if the risk is worth it.  Now if he loses some racing ability from the injuries it will be a different situation.  I am still amazed with Roczen's comeback so who knows; especially at this early stage.

The drug induced coma is one I know nothing about.  Why do they want you like that?  + thoughts Peick and family.

NC

Edited by NumberCruncher

5 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

It has been reported he is currently in a drug induced coma and has "no less than" ten major fractures to his face.  He is swollen and unrecognizable.  The first surgery has already been performed so he can breathe through his neck.  He was sedated as soon as he left the track.  It must have been REALLY bad.  

OMG, I didn't realize it was that bad.  Wow.  Good luck in the recovery to Peick.

2 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Agree that if anyone can come back it will be Weston.  👍

I don't want to belittle his situation but if his injuries are mostly cosmetic he'll have to decide if the risk is worth it.  Now if he loses some racing ability from the injuries it will be a different situation.  I am still amazed with Roczen's comeback so who knows; especially at this early stage.

The drug induced coma is one I know nothing about.  Why do they want you like that?  + thoughts Peick and family.

NC

Cranial vault is a sealed close case and it is a way to decrease pressure with in that case. 

• Like 3

Oh man.... that's terrible

Hope he has a fast recovery

Out of curiosity, if he swells up that bad would they have to cut his helmet off? I know helmet removal is an EMT only job and no bystander should attempt to remove the helmet of an injured rider

2 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I have watched the crash footage and have seen worse many times.  The Anderson crash at the MX of Nations looked a lot more terrifying to me.  I thought I just watched Anderson die when he took that hit to the head.

The Peick crash footage doesn't LOOK all that much different from many second turn incidents.  Think making it through the first turn unscathed and then after accelerating out of the 2nd turn you get out of shape and tumble in that section.  We have all seen that many times and nothing bad happens.  In this case Peick got landed on and even that is "somewhat" common.  However he isn't moving once his tumbling stops and is immediately placed on a stretcher.  And I watched the footage prior to learning how bad the injuries were.  One angle from way across the stadium looks very benign but the other footage from closer to the crash is pretty scary.  I won't watch it again knowing the outcome.

The fact that the first surgery will allow him to breathe through his neck has me convinced he must have had a chest tube in place.  THAT sounds really bad.  But I suspect reports indicating no brain damage must relate to the amount of time it took get him breathing again and they were concerned with oxygen starvation.  

No spinal cord injury and no brain damage are good signs so hopefully he'll recover fully with minimal visible signs.  I have seen news footage of folks who got in really bad car wrecks and it took talented plastic surgeons to get them looking pretty close to normal but many times they do just that.  Fingers crossed Peick comes out well.

NC

yea sounded so bad that he could not breath.  His jaw must have got crushed.  I wanted to see a clear video to see what happen.  This was going on before he got there and how did his jaw get busted up so bad.  something came through under or over the mouth chin guard.

Edited by Havingfun

To me it looks like he kissed his front fork then got his head landed on by a crank case?

• Like 1

yea I put it in slowmo and the other riders crankcase is sure close to his head.

Maybe his helmet got crushed?  if he was landed on

Edited by Havingfun

As a former EMT what bothered me most about the crash is the way he was handled after he crashed.  No assessment of any sort, no stabilizing c spine, just rolled him over onto a stretcher and carted him off.

• Like 9

Damn. It's sucks just hearing stories like this.

Hope his recovery goes as well as possible.

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

As a former EMT what bothered me most about the crash is the way he was handled after he crashed.  No assessment of any sort, no stabilizing c spine, just rolled him over onto a stretcher and carted him off.

I thought the same thing

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1

Here's another question...
Does The Auto Trader Suzuki team have any sort of medical assistance for him to help with the Bills while he was racing (being employed) by them?

• Like 2