Thoughts on upper fork guard protection

So i guess Valentina's in the market for some upper fork protection for those "whoops-a-daisy" moments that happen when we're down on the rocks.

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.658fbca04cd77b2cee0bb0e232def5a8.JPG

I hate rock rash on my bike!

I tried the carbon fiber ones but couldnt find any that would jive with how my forks are set in the triple clamps. Theyre only at the first line, but every cf guard i tried woulda made me either trim the guard or lower the forks. I've experimented the forks flush at the top and also somewhere in the middle hoping for a little bit of extra ground clearance, but like it best right where it is in the pic.

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.86106afaa8b6062f58a41dbafdacaebc.JPG

So now i think its between the polisport’s and the acerbis upper guards.

You guys got any experience with either of these?

images.jpeg.8a3ebf7294b1aa4ad040ab016d6124e6.jpeg  vs. JPG_bea0a9643bcb3008bd95e9d0b2a7d1c9.jpg.963a62f029783211b2658d8b7eb8629f.jpg

IMG_0943.JPG

Edited by surfer-dude

3 hours ago, surfer-dude said:

It would be nice if a real plastic protection company like tmd, or hyde or a company like that would make something for this most vulnerable area on all dirt bikes.

You know a friend of mine went to the harware store and made upper fork guards with black  pvc pipe for his Beta 250 rr and it actually looks nice plus it’s unbelievably cheap. He cut and slotted them and slapped them on and it’s gotta protect better too. I have to look and see if I can find a picture. 

• Like 1

A must for me on all my bikes. I run the carbon guards but with inner tube rubber bonded to the inside, for a little cushion. It has saved my fork tubes. Just a few weeks ago I had a bad crash in a race, got tangled up trying to pass a guy over a rock wall. One guard got a gash, tube was fine. Way back before carbon guards were even out we would use PVC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SinR1 said:

I run the P3 carbon guards. Been on for two years with no issues. Help saved my forks from some minor dings and scratches for sure.

20181120_211827.jpg

I went thru 4 pairs of these from 3 different vendors and 3 different brands, and they were all too long. I even had to pay a restocking fee for a pair.The ones I had went all the way up to lower triple tree, and then down past the step up part of the tube at the bottom.

I just figured it wasn't meant to be, and so thats why I'm here now.

argghh...

That's the way they are designed to fit. Maximum coverage. Why would they be shorter?

Also add the SKF scrapers or it your in the desert the version without the scraping lips. They protect the thin cross section area of the tubes by the seals from rock impacts. I have damaged tubes like that in the past.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:39 AM, surfer-dude said:

So i guess Valentina's in the market for some upper fork protection for those "whoops-a-daisy" moments that happen when we're down on the rocks.

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.658fbca04cd77b2cee0bb0e232def5a8.JPG

I hate rock rash on my bike!

I tried the carbon fiber ones but couldnt find any that would jive with how my forks are set in the triple clamps. Theyre only at the first line, but every cf guard i tried woulda made me either trim the guard or lower the forks. I've experimented the forks flush at the top and also somewhere in the middle hoping for a little bit of extra ground clearance, but like it best right where it is in the pic.

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.86106afaa8b6062f58a41dbafdacaebc.JPG

So now i think its between the polisport’s and the acerbis upper guards.

You guys got any experience with either of these?

images.jpeg.8a3ebf7294b1aa4ad040ab016d6124e6.jpeg  vs. JPG_bea0a9643bcb3008bd95e9d0b2a7d1c9.jpg.963a62f029783211b2658d8b7eb8629f.jpg

IMG_0943.JPG

I think you need a black seat cover

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 6:26 PM, surfer-dude said:

I went thru 4 pairs of these from 3 different vendors and 3 different brands, and they were all too long. I even had to pay a restocking fee for a pair.The ones I had went all the way up to lower triple tree, and then down past the step up part of the tube at the bottom.

I just figured it wasn't meant to be, and so thats why I'm here now.

argghh...

I just shopped for price and found the cheapest carbon fiber I could find. It was on ebay if I remember right for my 13 300 rr?It fit right away and I don’t remember the brand. Carbon fiber prices are pretty ridiculous expensive but it does look cool for usually not being much protection. Actually now that  aI think of it I just took off the cf fork guards off of my 01 cr 250 honda and put them on my 300 rr. When I sold my cr I was trying to scavenge goodies as it had too much bling on it. I thought all these cf fork guards were generic. I never thought forks were different by much at all.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 12:05 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

I think you need a black seat cover

I think your right i'm doing a return for that motion pro throttle tube and I think I'm gonna do this cover and the polisports:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1061/69587/Enduro-Engineering-Seat-Cover?v=13366

until I can do one of these completes: 

https://seatconcepts.com/collections/beta/products/beta-2013-17-rr-rs-x-trainer-low-oem-race2-0

https://seatconcepts.com/collections/beta/products/beta-2013-16-rr-rs-x-trainer-low

I think I'm gonna make the big girl an inch shorter so I can manhandle her a little better.... 

but gears and a new clutch setup comes first

Edited by surfer-dude

• 4 months later...