Wilderness

200rr or ????

2 hours ago, Goatse said:

Oh man that poor bugger is out of shape. Or he's a hell of a mouth breather. Lol

He was just excited beyond belief that he was riding a beta 200. Bike sounded rich above idle and then fine was more fully upon the needle. 

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 3

1. My riding does not do the bike justice.
2. Unridden bike on unriden trails, very chopped up trails.
3. Trying to adapt to using a foot brake again. (Clake 2)
4. Not wanting to bin it and wreck everyones day as its the only 200 in the county (Australia).
5. Would i buy one??

6.YES...

Beta 2019 model range test ride at Mt Kembla MX track today.
My interest was mainly for the new addition to the range the 2019 RR 200 2T.
I'm currently on a 2018 RR 300 

WOW! .. what a machine, lighter in every way, great suspension and brakes, still has plenty of power and torque, I think I'm sold on it.

Credit: Justin King 

Edited by Roon
  • Like 4

Another Aussie review from a totally different location (next day to video review above):

Along with a bunch of other people, I rode the 200RR on the weekend.

Loved it.
LOVED IT.

Think "strong 125 with more grunt" and you will be close.

It is basically exactly how I want a 200 power delivery to be, and it even coped with being significantly over-geared (15T front sprocket - feels like it would be happiest with a 14T).

Compared to a typical 125, it has more bottom end, broader power/less hit, and revs out about as well. Also has an eagerness to pick up revs like a good 125.

Compared to my competition model KDX200 (FMF pipe, Boyesen RAD valve), it vibrates much less, is way more rev happy, and the power delivery is smoother. The Beta definitely makes more top end power too. 

Compared to my WR200 powered YZ125 (FMF pipe & muffler, big YZ airbox), the Beta sounds much tighter, vibrates less (the WR has a counter-balancer) and is just stronger everywhere in the rev range. Similar electric power delivery on both bikes, but the Beta would eat the WR alive and doesn't sign off as early.

Ergos are great. Usual Beta thing where the pegs are close to the seat but the bike doesn't feel cramped. Feels like the bigger Betas to sit on, but slimmer and it really does feel like a 125 to chuck around - most 200s feel lighter than 250s but do feel heavier than a 125 (who would have guessed!!).
Without having a 125 to directly compare, it was very hard to imagine the 125 feeling lighter.

The track we rode on was rock hard and covered with loose rocks and dust, plus I'm probably 15-20kg heavier than it was designed for, so I am cautious of saying anything about the suspension beyond "it seemed fine". Certainly no obvious vices in those conditions. 

Edited by Roon
  • Like 3

Do the 125 and 200 share the same transmission ratios, or is the 200 different?

Edited by GP

That was a nice video that shows the versatility of a large small bore. Or is it a small large bore. Lol. I am.guessimg that was mostly 2nd gear. Shows that it cruises so effortlessly for general.trail riding at low RPMs.

1. My riding does not do the bike justice.
2. Unridden bike on unriden trails, very chopped up trails.
3. Trying to adapt to using a foot brake again. (Clake 2)
4. Not wanting to bin it and wreck everyones day as its the only 200 in the county (Australia).
5. Would i buy one??
6.YES...
Beta 2019 model range test ride at Mt Kembla MX track today.
My interest was mainly for the new addition to the range the 2019 RR 200 2T.
I'm currently on a 2018 RR 300 
WOW! .. what a machine, lighter in every way, great suspension and brakes, still has plenty of power and torque, I think I'm sold on it.
Credit: Justin King 

6 hours ago, Roon said:

Another Aussie review from a totally different location (next day to video review above):

Along with a bunch of other people, I rode the 200RR on the weekend.

Loved it.
LOVED IT.

Think "strong 125 with more grunt" and you will be close.

It is basically exactly how I want a 200 power delivery to be, and it even coped with being significantly over-geared (15T front sprocket - feels like it would be happiest with a 14T).

Compared to a typical 125, it has more bottom end, broader power/less hit, and revs out about as well. Also has an eagerness to pick up revs like a good 125.

Compared to my competition model KDX200 (FMF pipe, Boyesen RAD valve), it vibrates much less, is way more rev happy, and the power delivery is smoother. The Beta definitely makes more top end power too. 

Compared to my WR200 powered YZ125 (FMF pipe & muffler, big YZ airbox), the Beta sounds much tighter, vibrates less (the WR has a counter-balancer) and is just stronger everywhere in the rev range. Similar electric power delivery on both bikes, but the Beta would eat the WR alive and doesn't sign off as early.

Ergos are great. Usual Beta thing where the pegs are close to the seat but the bike doesn't feel cramped. Feels like the bigger Betas to sit on, but slimmer and it really does feel like a 125 to chuck around - most 200s feel lighter than 250s but do feel heavier than a 125 (who would have guessed!!).
Without having a 125 to directly compare, it was very hard to imagine the 125 feeling lighter.

The track we rode on was rock hard and covered with loose rocks and dust, plus I'm probably 15-20kg heavier than it was designed for, so I am cautious of saying anything about the suspension beyond "it seemed fine". Certainly no obvious vices in those conditions. 

It was weird the first bikes that came into the US also had 15t counter shaft sprockets. Beta put traditional 13t on the bikes before taking them out in the dirt on the dealer demo day. 

Personally I don’t believe ride videos show anything other than and ability of the rider. Put a pro rider on the 200 and it would sound like it had no bottom end because he would be on the pipe the whole time. Put a novice on it and it would seem the bike doesn’t rev at all or run clean. I know they’re cool to watch, but not much info there to make a decision on bike buying. 

Edited by eloc
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, eloc said:

...Personally I don’t believe ride videos show anything other than and ability of the rider. Put a pro rider on the 200 and it would sound like it had no bottom end because he would be on the pipe the whole time. Put a novice on it and it would seem the bike doesn’t rev at all or run clean. I know they’re cool to watch, but not much info there to make a decision on bike buying. 

I don't completely agree with you on this. If you said that a ride video shows more about the rider than it does the bike, I'd be with you completely. But when you listen to the sound of the bike with a range of rider skills, the full story (at least the full story of how the engine performs) begins to unfold. When you add to that the descriptions of their rides from a variety of testers, it informs your ears to the nuances of the engine sounds.

Unless we're racers, we seldom get to ride a bike at the limits all the time. On a group ride, we're often behind someone who's slower than we'd like, so we know how a good bike sounds when we're just putting a gear or two high without much throttle. As @shrubitup observed about a previous video, when the rider was poking along, "...bike sounded rich above idle and then was fine more fully upon the needle." OK, that's probably a jetting problem, so no sweat. I would say that the bike goes good when you are not in "balls to the wall" mode.

When you listen to the bike when ridden at real speed, it has that angry hornet sound of a tuned 125 ripping it up (can hardly hear gear changes, just a near-constant shriek). In the words of the anonymous tester that @Roon quoted above, "Compared to a typical 125, it has more bottom end, broader power/less hit, and revs out about as well. Also has an eagerness to pick up revs like a good 125." My ears tell me some of that, and the part about more bottom end and broader power with less hit is typical of good 200s. So no unpleasant surprises there. 

What I get from watching the videos and reading the reviews is that this is a bike I must ride, and I better be prepared to spend some money before I do! But, like you say, the proof is in the riding, not before.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1