Wilderness

200rr or ????

Yes they weigh and ride differently but the size (other than width) is similar. Amazing how much difference there is in feel between the 250/300.
Would you say the 250 or 300 is more user friendly or forgiving, power-wise? I hear the 300 has a bit too much snap for some people. Especially if they're novice with 2 strokes.

16 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

14# to be exact. 200RR wet weight without fuel is supposed to be 215#. 250/300 at 229#. ALL the bikes are narrow compared to what you are riding now. 

If this is true 229# feels heavy@!

11 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Yes they weigh and ride differently but the size (other than width) is similar. Amazing how much difference there is in feel between the 250/300.

Crank and piston mass makes same weighted bikes feel very different.

3 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:
14 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Would you say the 250 or 300 is more user friendly or forgiving, power-wise? I hear the 300 has a bit too much snap for some people. Especially if they're novice with 2 strokes.

Either are easy to ride but the 300 has more meat everywhere. 300 and alter the power delivery by the PV and or slower turn throttle. Best of all worlds.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, weantright said:

Either are easy to ride but the 300 has more meat everywhere. 300 and alter the power delivery by the PV and or slower turn throttle. Best of all worlds.

My feelings as well. 

It will feel even lighter riding it, like the 250 feels lighter than the 300.  The Beta 250/300 has a more compact feel than most other bikes of the same displacement, not just seat height.  Mine is raised and it still feels that way, why I like it a lot.  Like an old GG or KX250.  The YZ250X is a great bike for the $$, all you really need for hare scrambles and they do very well here.  Very light but taller, more of a traditional size 250.  The Beta really shines on tough trail when things get ugly, more so than racing.  They are actually common around here now.  Like Bassman, I had planned to be a 200RR early adopter but sometimes plans don't work out for reasons beyond your control.  See what happens next year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weantright said:

If this is true 229# feels heavy@!

Crank and piston mass makes same weighted bikes feel very different.

More so the rate the torque climbs when you open the throttle, making the bike want to stand up.  Lower end mass 250/300 is exactly the same.

• Like 1

I have to quit reading this thread. local dealer has 3 unsold 200RR's on order for January arrival and this year's been a good one business wise. MUST.......RESIST......ANOTHER PURCHASE. 

• Haha 1

I have to quit reading this thread. local dealer has 3 unsold 200RR's on order for January arrival and this year's been a good one business wise. MUST.......RESIST......ANOTHER PURCHASE. 
You could always help a mofo out and get me an early Christmas gift. Ol' jesus would do the decent thing..
  • Haha 2

My wife lost job, forced to retire, last day Fri.  If not I would have taken the first one Steve could get.  My 250RR stays put, worth MUCH more to me than I could get for it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GP said:

More so the rate the torque climbs when you open the throttle, making the bike want to stand up.  Lower end mass 250/300 is exactly the same.

Was a broad reference to all brands.

3 minutes ago, GP said:

My wife lost job, forced to retire, last day Fri.  If not I would have taken the first one Steve could get.  My 250RR stays put, worth MUCH more to me than I could get for it.

We've got one unallocated (not in the GM sense, but rather unspoken for) ...

5 minutes ago, GP said:

Boeing axed my mom due to age a few years back. Set her up to fail and then fired her after 35 years. Odd that her co-workers never had an issue with her performance. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, weantright said:

Was a broad reference to all brands.

All modern 250/300s of any brand share the same lower end.   In my case, I converted my 300 to a 250, did not switch bikes, so everything else exactly the same.  Also, this was a '13 300RR Race.  The porting and compression a little different than the '14+ Race, so the bike was noticeably softer off the bottom by comparison and reved better.  My brother had a '14 and I have ridden a few newer ones and for sure the newer bikes feel different.  Not a fan of this type of power, much prefer a good 250, so I built one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Boeing axed my mom due to age a few years back. Set her up to fail and then fired her after 35 years. Odd that her co-workers never had an issue with her performance. 

Not to get too off topic but my wife is a Medical Director for a large global medical company.   High level job, up the ladder for the past 30 years.  Didn't get there from being lazy, even went back after surviving Pancreatic cancer.  Her boss, who was good, left and the replacement, shall we say, is not of the same culture and does not share the same values and respect for people.  Saw my wife as a threat because my wife is good with people, so she had to go.  I will stop before I go on a cultural diversity rant.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

57 minutes ago, GP said:

Not to get too off topic but my wife is a Medical Director for a large global medical company.   High level job, up the ladder for the past 30 years.  Didn't get there from being lazy, even went back after surviving Pancreatic cancer.  Her boss, who was good, left and the replacement, shall we say, is not of the same culture and does not share the same values and respect for people.  Saw my wife as a threat because my wife is good with people, so she had to go.  I will stop before I go on a cultural diversity rant.

My condolences on your alleged tinted privilege. Whatever tint it may be. Congrats on whoopin' C's A$$. 

• Like 2

My condolences on your alleged tinted privilege. Whatever tint it may be. Congrats on whoopin' C's A$$. 

Thanks. CD is good as long as it is used along with normal corporate behavioral standards, not in place of or of a higher priority than them.

I will see a weight savings of over 20lbs compared to my 2013. That is a big deal to an aging more often injured racer who has shrunk to a surgically corrected 5' 8.5" and weighs 155lbs but should be of little concern for general riding.

Once I have fully recouperated from yesterday's and my upcoming surgery, I will present an honest comparison of the two bikes. My 2013 will be completely rebuild with fresh top, bottom, suspension, and complete bearing replacement.

You can't go wrong with any of the BETA 2 strokes. Some of the minutia people get into really cracks me up. They are all different but all great and can be used by anyone for anything except western and other wide open sustained high speed dual sport and desert riding on all those scenic open trails and mountains, and honestly in those cases why in the hell would you even have a 2 stroke?

Any slower tighter or recreational types of riding are where these BETAs are great for a beginner or a seasoned rider transitioning to 2 strokes. Any great rider can win on any bike and the dirty little secret is many of the fastest riders just buy and ride and don't mess with anything. It is amazing the conversations I have had with blazing fast guys who just add gas and kick ass.

• Like 5

I love it when the shit gets bad, that's when I make time and the bike works best.  Speed on open trail not my thing.  Too bad a lot of the harescrambles are evolving that way.  Yeah some guys can ride anything, especially young fast guys.  Some guys just accept flaws as normal, my buddy is like that.  I could valve his bike with a stack of flat washers and he'd ride it.  I can tell you from working on the suspension, fine tuning it all year that you compromise without even realizing it.   When things are set really good, you find yourself more fresh at the end of the day/race and it makes a difference especially to guys like us and especially in the rough and rocky stuff.  It also inspires confidence, and that is what lets you improve.   That said, I think a 20lb lighter bike will do some of the same.  Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted!

• Like 3

I love it when the shit gets bad, that's when I make time and the bike works best.  Speed on open trail not my thing.  Too bad a lot of the harescrambles are evolving that way.  Yeah some guys can ride anything, especially young fast guys.  Some guys just accept flaws as normal, my buddy is like that.  I could valve his bike with a stack of flat washers and he'd ride it.  I can tell you from working on the suspension, fine tuning it all year that you compromise without even realizing it.   When things are set really good, you find yourself more fresh at the end of the day/race and it makes a difference especially to guys like us and especially in the rough and rocky stuff.  It also inspires confidence, and that is what lets you improve.   That said, I think a 20lb lighter bike will do some of the same.  Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted!
I agree with you that correctly set up suspension is very important to me and I really like my current setup. Thanks.
  • Like 1

I will see a weight savings of over 20lbs compared to my 2013. That is a big deal to an aging more often injured racer who has shrunk to a surgically corrected 5' 8.5" and weighs 155lbs but should be of little concern for general riding.

Once I have fully recouperated from yesterday's and my upcoming surgery, I will present an honest comparison of the two bikes. My 2013 will be completely rebuild with fresh top, bottom, suspension, and complete bearing replacement.

You can't go wrong with any of the BETA 2 strokes. Some of the minutia people get into really cracks me up. They are all different but all great and can be used by anyone for anything except western and other wide open sustained high speed dual sport and desert riding on all those scenic open trails and mountains, and honestly in those cases why in the hell would you even have a 2 stroke?

Any slower tighter or recreational types of riding are where these BETAs are great for a beginner or a seasoned rider transitioning to 2 strokes. Any great rider can win on any bike and the dirty little secret is many of the fastest riders just buy and ride and don't mess with anything. It is amazing the conversations I have had with blazing fast guys who just add gas and kick ass.
Yup, my buddy has a completely stock TX300 and he is a top ten guy in any west coast hard enduro race. When i ask about the air fork or the Mikuni issues he always laughs and tells me to stop reading TT.
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1