What to buy: Beta 200rr or ????

5 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

What size lectron you put on the 230 “Lanza”? Were changes typical to how other bikes respond to the lectron? Put me down as a tse250r fan; thread hijack!

Not a lectron. Its a atp smartcarb 28mm billet the same one sold for the ktm free ride.

Turned into a tractor down low and still gained topend over the 30mm mikuni repop. Runs very clean never loads up even when setup on the rich side

• Helpful 1

200? Top end? I’m sure it’ll pull to the moon. Michigan doesn’t strike me as open desert terrain. Very likely that you’ll run out of trail before you ever run out of top end power. 
Well, I suppose I'm not really questioning the power so much as how stable it feels at higher speeds, although I'm also wondering how much itll have to scream. Believe it or not, Michigan has lots of tight trails, sand and many whoops, but alot of its trails are quad width where you can open up the throttle pretty significantly.

I'm aware that whatever I get is going to be leagues ahead of my current 230, but itd be nice to find something that does awesome in the tight stuff, but doesn't suffer at high speeds too much. Theres a fair mix of "speeds" up there.

Well, I suppose I'm not really questioning the power so much as how stable it feels at higher speeds, although I'm also wondering how much itll have to scream. Believe it or not, Michigan has lots of tight trails, sand and many whoops, but alot of its trails are quad width where you can open up the throttle pretty significantly.

I'm aware that whatever I get is going to be leagues ahead of my current 230, but itd be nice to find something that does awesome in the tight stuff, but doesn't suffer at high speeds too much. Theres a fair mix of "speeds" up there.
YZ250. The answer has been right there the whole time. [emoji57]
  • Haha 1

I actually own and ride a KTM 200 and have ridden many 90s 250s I would put my 200 against any of them. I can lug third in tight singletrack and pull woops in fifth Gear. I ride with two buddy's with 300s and I have no problem keeping up. I am six foot tall and 200 with gear. They make the same power as a 250 four stroke trust me a 200 is more than enough motor

• Like 3

YZ250. The answer has been right there the whole time. [emoji57]
Lol, the yz 250x is the fourth and, perhaps final contender on my list. Extremely tall though, I'm 5'6". Itd be nice to get something a bit more trail oriented than race oriented if possible, I hear they're still a bit snappy for someone like me who's never owned a 2 stroke. But the yz's have always been proven for reliability and their suspension is top notch I hear. I know I couldn't go wrong. Plus they're cheaper than most other 250s, of course lacking the magic button, 6 speed, and street legal components

Lol, the yz 250x is the fourth and, perhaps final contender on my list. Extremely tall though, I'm 5'6". Itd be nice to get something a bit more trail oriented than race oriented if possible, I hear they're still a bit snappy for someone like me who's never owned a 2 stroke. But the yz's have always been proven for reliability and their suspension is top notch I hear. I know I couldn't go wrong. Plus they're cheaper than most other 250s, of course lacking the magic button, 6 speed, and street legal components
I just noted you keyed in on stability. Yamaha's in general are well known for that.

7 hours ago, jmd426 said:

I would agree with that. Its pretty much the modern day kdx 200, imo its hard to beat in the tight single track will not wear you out and will lug unbelievably low without stalling. I am running a smart carb on mine tho that makes quit a difference.   Basicly its a 2017 husky with a yamaha it200/dt230 engine

ITs were air cooled, non power valved and generally older generation bikes. Nothing common to the post 88 DT engine (which also had cranckcase intake - quite a few years before the YZs). KDX 200 engine was well known for destroying KIPS exhaust valves.... 

7 hours ago, jmd426 said:

Edited by dirtbird

5 hours ago, 230 Sausage said:

I had a google video running when I rode the 200 that I reviewed the other day, and at some point I'll figure out how to edit it and post it. In any case, my comments were along this line ...

* feels just like the 125 to sit on (that is to say slightly more compact than the 250/300) I run my bar mounts in the full forward hole, back position as compared to middle forward on the 300

* pulls smoothly as soon as you open the throttle, much more like a 250 than a big 125

* standard rear brake is overkill, and grabby to the point of stalling (same thought I had on my 125 demo)

* pick a line, any line - very easy to move around on the trail. My 125RR bends around trees better than anything I've ridden.

* can be lugged or revved. At one point the trail split and I blasted around another rider to get out of the dust. No problem opening it up.

* much less clutch work than the 125. The clutch is much improved over 2018.

* so easy to ride

* light and playful

* the suspension was pretty balanced for what we rode. Personalized set up will only make it better.

I think this will be a gold star bike for Beta.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

I had a google video running when I rode the 200 that I reviewed the other day, and at some point I'll figure out how to edit it and post it. In any case, my comments were along this line ...

* feels just like the 125 to sit on (that is to say slightly more compact than the 250/300) I run my bar mounts in the full forward hole, back position as compared to middle forward on the 300

* pulls smoothly as soon as you open the throttle, much more like a 250 than a big 125

* standard rear brake is overkill, and grabby to the point of stalling (same thought I had on my 125 demo)

* pick a line, any line - very easy to move around on the trail. My 125RR bends around trees better than anything I've ridden.

* can be lugged or revved. At one point the trail split and I blasted around another rider to get out of the dust. No problem opening it up.

* so easy to ride

* light and playful

* the suspension was pretty balanced for what we rode. Personalized set up will only make it better.

Screw it. Just post up. No need to edit. My edit on my vids these days is to click on and off. It’s not that great but good enough. On most vids I watch  I scroll forward at some point usually a little. One day I’ll put the effort into learn to doing good editing. I suck for now on making good vids .. eeeh :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

* so easy to ride
* light and playful

That sounds intriguing, for sure. I hear beta is doing a demo tour, but they dont have midwest/eastern dates yet. I want to ride the 200/250 real bad. Seems like something that would fit my 5'6" 165lb frame pretty well.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 230 Sausage said:
8 hours ago, motoxgiant said:
* so easy to ride
* light and playful

Read more  

That sounds intriguing, for sure. I hear beta is doing a demo tour, but they dont have midwest/eastern dates yet. I want to ride the 200/250 real bad. Seems like something that would fit my 5'6" 165lb frame pretty well.

There are a number of options for those with shorter inseams. Suspension lowering (as much as 2") and a lower seat would go a long way to increasing your comfort. The 125/200 chassis is more compact than the 250/300, but the base seat height doesn't feel much lower.

There are a number of options for those with shorter inseams. Suspension lowering (as much as 2") and a lower seat would go a long way to increasing your comfort. The 125/200 chassis is more compact than the 250/300, but the base seat height doesn't feel much lower.
I'm actually not going to bother lowering the bike, I'm just gonna "git gud" as they say and work on the balance. Whatever I get will be somewhat tall, so I'm gonna work on my skills rather than spend money to limit the performance of the bike. If Megs Braap can do it, I'm gonna try it too damnit, lol.
  • Like 3

I do not think that the 200 has been at any demo`s yet cause of being late to arrive in the US.Other than a dealer demo a couple weeks ago. Remember the 200 will have the same seat height as the 250 and 300. The 200 is supposed to be a little lighter. If your below 5'8" your probably going to struggle with both feet on the ground. I am somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9" was able to sit flat footed on the ground with both the 250 and 300. Beta might set these bikes up to be on the soft side for the demo days. My 300 seems taller and does not compress when i sit on it like the demo bikes did. With only 5 hours on the bike i think that will get better as the suspension breaks in and i make adjustments. The low wide comfort seat will help out the shorter rider and it does not take anything away from the performance of the machine. Having somewhat of a comfort level while learning to ride a bike is important. If your consistently battling a bike, your probably not having much fun.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 230 Sausage said:
22 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
YZ250. The answer has been right there the whole time. emoji57.png

Really like the YZ 250x as a race bike. It’s a great bike. However it’s a full race bike! 

The 200 is a lot more versatile of a bike. It can be a great race bike and is also an awesome trail bike. 

Really like the YZ 250x as a race bike. It’s a great bike. However it’s a full race bike! 
The 200 is a lot more versatile of a bike. It can be a great race bike and is also an awesome trail bike. 
Yea it could be more ideal as far as versatility, but price is a big factor with me, and the yz is pretty much the cheapest before I go GPX, which is a last resort maybe. I'd much rather have a beta 200/250, trust me. I need to plant my ass on one though, but no demo days or dealers near me[emoji17]
  • Like 1

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to What to buy: Beta 200rr or ????