Wilderness

What to buy: Beta 200rr or ????

9 hours ago, Wilderness said:

They told me if im lonely before it comes in im more than welcome to come up there and sit on any of the other bikes they have

If you are up for a drive west, come on by. It's 74 degrees in the shop and the fridge is full of craft beer. 

image.png.8e4d8df06fbf44d14115e10578d840cc.png

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I've ridden a lot of things in my years. 1000cc superbikes, 650cc 4 strokes, 500cc 2 strokes, all the way down to 125 2 strokes. For a woods bike, the 200 will be plenty and have a big fun factor. I restored a 2001 KDX220 for a good friend last year, and forgot how fun that size bike is. the 15# lost on the 200RR vs the 250/300 will be noticed. Not in fatigue, but in how easy it is to flick between the trees. 

I also took the 300RR out this afternoon for some adjustments, and did some hot laps around the neighborhood spinning the rear while the front is coming off the ground is PLENTY of power for anyone. demo is next weekend, I'll give my honest review of the 200RR after I ride it. 
Looking forward to it although IMI is about the worst place to test ride.

2 minutes ago, lom said:

Looking forward to it although IMI is about the worst place to test ride.

Agreed, PPIR would have been good but it is what it is. 

Edited by redhurricane

Agreed, PPIR would have been good but it is what it is. 
That's what I was thinking too. The only perk to RAM was the hills. Still a great opportunity. Turns out that my favorite bikes were the ones I wasn't interested in riding
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 230 Sausage said:
1 hour ago, lom said:
I wasn't a big fan of the 200rr. I think it's more about expectations than anything else. I was expecting it to be more like a mini 300 (linear like that) but it ended up being more like the 125. Obviously more powerful but was just expecting more lower end. Really was a fun bike to ride though, just wouldn't choose it as my only bike. Think the 250 was a happy medium.

Read more  

See that's what I'm ultimately wondering about. 250 may be where it's at. Of course for someone like me who's never ridden the 300, I may be overthinking this one..

A 200 will be way more than a ttr that you are on. In that way every Beta 2t is an upgrade. Lots of bikes are better in a variety of ways. A ttr is a solid little reliable low height bike. It sounds like you are overthinking this. A 200 is great and so is a 250 or 300. A 200 rr is special for those that miss the older 200 cc smaller lighter 125 cc basedbikes of years ago. The last 200 cc 2 strokes available are fine too but based on the 250 and 300 heavier bigger frames. Guys looking for the smaller lighter 200 cc enduro bikes from the Ktm’s of around 2001 and earlier are missing that niche bike that isn’t available anywhere else for a 200 enduro. Go ride a 250 rr or 300 rr. You can probably find a deal there. There’s a bunch of 250 and 300 of different years and you could get one of those easier than a 200. 250 and 300 rrs are awesome and easy to ride. Really it’s what flavor of ice cream do you want? It’s how crazy do you want to get. I got 3 Betas now. That’s a bit crazy but Im happy. The best still is one 2 stroke and one street legal 4 stroke I think. You are pretty much covered there.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, redhurricane said:

If you are up for a drive west, come on by. It's 74 degrees in the shop and the fridge is full of craft beer. 

Awesome! I wish! went to the pacific northwest a couple years ago and loved it. Colorado is my next western trip but for now its 45 degrees and rain.

A 200 will be way more than a ttr that you are on. In that way every Beta 2t is an upgrade. Lots of bikes are better in a variety of ways. A ttr is a solid little reliable low height bike. It sounds like you are overthinking this. A 200 is great and so is a 250 or 300. A 200 rr is special for those that miss the older 200 cc smaller lighter 125 cc basedbikes of years ago. The last 200 cc 2 strokes available are fine too but based on the 250 and 300 heavier bigger frames. Guys looking for the smaller lighter 200 cc enduro bikes from the Ktm’s of around 2001 and earlier are missing that niche bike that isn’t available anywhere else for a 200 enduro. Go ride a 250 rr or 300 rr. You can probably find a deal there. There’s a bunch of 250 and 300 of different years and you could get one of those easier than a 200. 250 and 300 rrs are awesome and easy to ride. Really it’s what flavor of ice cream do you want? It’s how crazy do you want to get. I got 3 Betas now. That’s a bit crazy but Im happy. The best still is one 2 stroke and one street legal 4 stroke I think. You are pretty much covered there.
Lol, I'm on a crf, but potayto potahto.

Yes, ultimately anything from 200-300cc is going to be an upgrade for me. I suppose it's not only about what will best suit my needs, but also what bike is going to stay with me for the longest run. I dont want to get a 200 and then 1 or 2 years later say, "meh, it's time for something with a bit more punch." I'm just hoping I get a chance to ride the bikes so I can make a more informed decision. I got time though, wont be pulling any triggers til next summer or so. Til then, I'm gonna pester everyone about the bikes I'm looking at, lol.
  • Like 1

Lol, I'm on a crf, but potayto potahto.

Yes, ultimately anything from 200-300cc is going to be an upgrade for me. I suppose it's not only about what will best suit my needs, but also what bike is going to stay with me for the longest run. I dont want to get a 200 and then 1 or 2 years later say, "meh, it's time for something with a bit more punch." I'm just hoping I get a chance to ride the bikes so I can make a more informed decision. I got time though, wont be pulling any triggers til next summer or so. Til then, I'm gonna pester everyone about the bikes I'm looking at, lol.
I don't think you would get bored of the 200, it has plenty of power compared to what you're on now. Think a few simple mods would put it where I'd want it to be.
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

I dont want to get a 200 and then 1 or 2 years later say, "meh, it's time for something with a bit more punch."

There's no comparison between the 230 and 200 power wise. The simple 30CC difference has somehow got you thinking that the 200 is not a big change for you. Given your size and weight the 200 will have power 4 years from now.

• Like 1

There's no comparison between the 230 and 200 power wise. The simple 30CC difference has somehow got you thinking that the 200 is not a big change for you. Given your size and weight the 200 will have power 4 years from now.
No no, I realize theres a massive difference between the two. I'm just speculating the possibility that I may want a bit more down the road is all, cuz I have no clue. I've ridden 125s before and even they put the 230 to shame power wise.

7 minutes ago, 230 Sausage said:

No no, I realize theres a massive difference between the two. I'm just speculating the possibility that I may want a bit more down the road is all, cuz I have no clue. I've ridden 125s before and even they put the 230 to shame power wise.

125s are irritating to ride for even 4 hours IMO. The 200 can be ridden all day with comfort unless you're a Sasquatch like me.

• Like 2

125s are irritating to ride for even 4 hours IMO. The 200 can be ridden all day with comfort unless you're a Sasquatch like me.
I believe ya

1 hour ago, 230 Sausage said:

Lol, I'm on a crf, but potayto potahtoemoji16.png.

Even one or 2 years away or more I doubt the 200 won’t deliver. You been riding a ttr for goodness sakes and a 200 will be fun and have plenty enough fun power for years.  I mean there’s a bunch that are going down from a 250 or 300 for a 200.. but yea it’s bull shittin about dirt bikes. And trying to figure how they’ll work before riding and having one. That’s fun. I wish I could and will ride a 200. The last 200 was a tricked out 98’ ktm my Dad had and our family and friends had a variety of 200’s over the years and hybrid mid 125 through 250/300 bikes made for trails. It’s that classic lighter but still got more power than a small cc bike. It’s easier to manhandle and the lower than big bore power is great. You ride it different. You wind it up and use your clutch more and it’s fun!!  I’m stoked for you guys shopping for a nice new fun 200 rr or whatever. :thumbsup:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

That's a 300 EXC (XCW) that I'm "on" in this picture.

Tahuya group ride.jpeg

You rode with Magnus! You're a brave soul😉

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, redhurricane said:

I want to hang out in Red's shop! I'll even bring some Moose Drool. The only thing is, where's the dart board?

• Like 2

Some interesting numbers:

image.thumb.png.56aa0325d3a23c7c26631ed9ae8f7116.png

These bikes are close to each other in specs, but I'm guessing that they are very different in character. I like the slightly longer stroke of the RR vs the EXC for bottom-end torque.

In an article in the August 2005 issue of Dirt Bike, Dave Simon was quoted, regarding a 2005 200 EXC he built for Malcolm Smith, as having said that the stock 200 EXC made 36hp, and his mildly modded engine (exhaust port cleanup, flow splitters, and Gnarly w/TurbineCore) made 41hp with wide and smooth powerband. I'm guessing that the 200RR fits somewhere in that range. 2015 dyno chart showed the XT making about 33hp vs 300RR's 43hp. 

Edit: can't make this redundant chart go away.

image.png

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Old Plonker said:

I want to hang out in Red's shop! I'll even bring some Moose Drool. The only thing is, where's the dart board?

I don't do well with people throwing sharp things around me. But come up and have a look. This might get me banned. 

15443993204906623541262746933901.jpg

• Like 5

If you're in it for the long haul, get the 250 IMO. The 200 would be a better 2nd bike, than an only bike, for a grown man.

• Like 1

Will do. Coming off a variety of 250/450 4 strokes, and the wife and daughter coming off 250X hondas, we all LOVE the Xtrainer and 300. the 200RR is not going to disappoint. 

[mention=461464]66chad[/mention] you better put some pics up of your purchase this weekend too. 

IMG_0134.jpg

Thanks too red hurricane we have another proud 1st beta owner my step son with this awesome xtrainer.

This x trainer will replace his crf 230. My daughter rides a klx 140.

Now red just spend some more and get that 200rr for ur daughter geez .
  • Like 5