What are you guys/girls doing for mirrors?

Gday all,

Went for a Thursday ride yesterday and doolsported from my driveway to some reasonably challenging terrain. By reasonably challenging I meant steep and rocky and I fell off a few times so I want to go away from factory (or no) mirrors.

Now that I have a helmet that performs acceptably at highway speed I think I am going to do this everytime now and ditch the trailer for at least 50% of my riding. 

What are you guys doing for mirrors? And does anyone unscrew their visor for the highway?

Suppose I could use stock.

fov-trail.jpg?itok=J_Z5ucPm

Touratech-Adjustable-Mirror-5.jpg

• Like 1

I have Double Takes, on my TSE250R. And Ken Sean on my TW200. Both are foldable.

I think, I'd like some of the PowerMadd's handguard mounted ones.

The Double Takes are the best "mirror", and price reflects that.

Unintended pun !

https://www.denniskirk.com/powermadd/star-series-fixed-and-fold-down-handguard-mirror-kit-34289.p397719.prd/397719.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29AiOJRuVa0qf9FHenbwln6cFFFAgNPo0IBX8G07olHgy75d9X1KJ-saAvFyEALw_wcB&ad=228601179045

• Like 5

The old ‘Dual Star’ bar mounted mirrors are great. Unfortunately, no longer made and I have not found anyplace that makes something similar.  (Like the first picture you show).

No need to fold and have darn minimal vibration.

edit:

Those ‘Trail’ mirrors look pretty similar.   But the Dual Star ones had a neat stainless bracket that attached to the handlebar.  I liked them a lot.

09164C73-ABF8-4FD8-90DF-C525A0137AF4.jpeg.6e678258e111f172096882a4654ee7ea.jpeg

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lotus54 said:

The old ‘Dual Star’ bar mounted mirrors are great. Unfortunately, no longer made and I have not found anyplace that makes something similar.  (Like the first picture you show).

No need to fold and have darn minimal vibration.09164C73-ABF8-4FD8-90DF-C525A0137AF4.jpeg.6e678258e111f172096882a4654ee7ea.jpeg

I wish you could find those dual stars or someone else picked up making them! I have thought about these, but they might hit you leg, https://soloracer.com/smmirrors.html. I'm currently using blindside's though and they are nice lower profile mirrors but I don't like that they are so exposed!

I have the HDB guard/mirror on one bike.  They are very good- more vibration than the DualStar setup, but best otherwise.

they do have one big advantage. They are more obvious when in use. I like to look as legal as possible when on the road. No use giving them a reason to pull you over.  My bikes have been checked for legal (the dirt bikes converted) but no reason to give them any excuse to pull you over and perhaps find something wrong.

• Like 2

I thought that was going to be an issue with my converted dirt bike, especially since it’s illegal to convert bikes after 2006 here. Lots of double takes, but no issues in the last three years after they’ve seen the plate. 

My only issues with the Highway Dirt Bike stuff is weight and cost.  It’s been thoroughly crash tested past the limits off my bones and body and has passed with flying colours!  One mirror sometimes buzzes at high RPM/speed a little when retracted, but that is easily remedied by just moving it a little.  

Heres my 2015 350 xcf.  They titled it wrong when it was registered, so I put the bare minimum on it and ride it from my garage...

6724D43B-4F0F-4126-9E19-129277B725DB.jpeg

4CE6A0DF-7DDA-4111-B58C-F4230C361D8A.jpeg

Edited by G.P.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for HDB hand guards an mirrors.  I had one mirror lose the glass.  I sent an email to HDB requesting to buy a replacement.  The very next day, I received a US Postal Service package with a replacement and an invoice for $0.   Their hand guards are the strongest made.  The mirrors will fold out of the way undamaged, when you crash and have forgotten to tuck them out of the way...   I have tested this feature way too many times.  

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/23/2018 at 12:17 PM, DHwreckage said:

I wish you could find those dual stars or someone else picked up making them! I have thought about these, but they might hit you leg, https://soloracer.com/smmirrors.html. I'm currently using blindside's though and they are nice lower profile mirrors but I don't like that they are so exposed!

Doubletake makes one similar to the dual stars. Check Amazon.