The Plvis

CRF250F how its made

1 hour ago, sneaky98gt said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

Yeah, opening them up would give you a lot more control over the valving. But then you'd have to re-valve (and re-valve, re-valve, re-valve........) it to get it right. Re-valving??? Ask me how I know: re. my 05 CRF250R. (but I do have it working really well now)

Now with English CC. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, great video! I'm looking forward to more of your videos on the 250f offering English CC.

Hey Tatau! Thanks for the vid. If you’ve seen my 150/230F hybrid bike on here, then know that I’m looking to do the same thing with this 250F. Trying to put a 150F front end on it- which from your video, looks like it will bolt up. My concern is that swingarm. I’m told that the 250F swinger is an inch longer than the 230F piece. So I’m hoping to use a 230F swinger with the return spring tab ground off, and holes drilled and tapped to accept the rear brake hose holders. My question is if you could take some detailed photos of the 250F swingarm, so I can tell if the 230F unit will accept the rear disc brake and such? Thanks! —L*64

Edited by luckystar64

Hey guys! Take a look on this video. Last week we had a Hard Enduro Chalenge (local race). The overall winner (Rodrigo Cavalini) was riding a stock CRF 250F. Gopro onboard. Gnarly Track.

• Like 3

Hmmm, great, restful travel video for Greenpeace, Sierra Club, Earth First, etc.!!  Ya think he had to put his feet down a coupla times?  How bout that tall Orange Bike he passed, among others?  Somebody had a Big Time on the Bayo laying out that course.  You'ns with radiators, BEWARE!  Come, mistah tally man, tally me ba-na-na!!

Edited by BSAVictor

Excellent riding. The couple times he stopped he was breathing pretty heavy. I'd have been done about 10 minutes out. Definitely sounded uncorked.

That bike is a very slow revving considering it has a “pork chop” crankshaft.
It did not want to accelerate very well during the start when the trail was smooth.
The clutch must be bullet proof as much as it was being slipped trying to keep it running.

Front suspension must really suck for how slow he was riding and as much as it was “on it’s side”

But to be fair, not knowing the tires on the bike, and those wet rocks were probably slimy, so maybe all bikes were having issues with stalling and Falling over?

I sure hope it was bone stock with only the exhaust baffle removed.
Does not seem to impressive if the engine and suspension were modified properly before the ride.

I would like the same rider of that bike ride my 230 on the same course to get his opinion, then I could determine the 250f’s qualities/shortcomings.

• Like 2

Dude didn't even use bark busters.  Probably the best comp evnviorment for that bike; low to the ground, first gear only. 

Edited by WFO_Pete

On 11/30/2018 at 5:14 AM, luckystar64 said:

Hey Tatau! Thanks for the vid. If you’ve seen my 150/230F hybrid bike on here, then know that I’m looking to do the same thing with this 250F. Trying to put a 150F front end on it- which from your video, looks like it will bolt up. My concern is that swingarm. I’m told that the 250F swinger is an inch longer than the 230F piece. So I’m hoping to use a 230F swinger with the return spring tab ground off, and holes drilled and tapped to accept the rear brake hose holders. My question is if you could take some detailed photos of the 250F swingarm, so I can tell if the 230F unit will accept the rear disc brake and such? Thanks! —L*64

You ask...

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tatau said:

You ask...

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Hello Tatau,

Do you like the bike? Pro's / Con's

How does it compare to the mighty 230?

Hmmmm. As far as the rear brake retaining tabs go- I’m thinking I can have my fab guy grind the drum holder off, and weld on whatever it will need to the 230 swinger. Does the 230 unit bolt up to the 250?  —L*64

Someone tell me I'm not crazy...am I seeing things. How did this imbecile get his complete drive-train on the right hand side? Is this a one off CRF250F?    

Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 12.10.52 AM.png

Screenshot 2018-12-09 at 12.15.23 AM.png

Edited by The Plvis

Pics are inverted like a negative.... lettering is backwards on the seat too...

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2018 at 11:38 PM, luckystar64 said:

Hmmmm. As far as the rear brake retaining tabs go- I’m thinking I can have my fab guy grind the drum holder off, and weld on whatever it will need to the 230 swinger. Does the 230 unit bolt up to the 250?  —L*64

How much rear braking do you do? MX riders need every advantage they can get. For MX riders it makes sense. However, rocks, stumps, and logs out on the trail? Rear disk isn't the best choice. I don't believe a rear disk makes anyone faster nor do i see it slowing anyone down. But for sure a bent disk will cause you pain 20 miles out at a place called nowhere.  

The only way I could see a practical use of a rear disk for our bike would be weight reduction. But if you further want to erase the play bike look?...go for it, it should be an easy conversion.  

Edited by The Plvis
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, greenhuman said:

Be good if it was like this. Then I could fit that top end on CRF230 bottom end.

Yeah, that's what I thought: "Oooo, cam is on the correct side. Plug too. Then I saw the picture was reversed and thought; "rats".

• Like 1

How much rear braking do you do? MX riders need every advantage they can get. For MX riders it makes sense. However, rocks, stumps, and logs out on the trail? Rear disk isn't the best choice. I don't believe a rear disk makes anyone faster nor do i see it slowing anyone down. But for sure a bent disk will cause you pain 20 miles out at a place called nowhere.  
The only way I could see a practical use of a rear disk for our bike would be weight reduction. But if you further want to erase the play bike look?...go for it, it should be an easy conversion.  
I for one use my rear brakes A LOT. The majority of the time I'm breaking, I'm using them (in conjunction with my front). It's something I reluctantly learned the importance of after riding strictly street bikes for 20 years before switching to dirt bikes (I rarely touched my rear brake on the street). I have no idea what kind of terrain you ride in, but when I ride I can't go 100' without getting wet. Drums are aweful when wet. Disks aren't. People can argue the benefits of a drum brake, but after having numerous dirt bikes of all colours with rear disks, then buying (and falling in love with) my 230f with drums, I can't understand anyone preferring a drum brake over a disk. Disks grab better, don't fade, and aren't affected by water in the same way. In my opinion, there's no comparison on how much better disk brakes are over drums. I think the argument of a bent disk ruining your day is valid, but that's why they sell disk guards (which I've never used on previous bikes, and never got stranded).
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, xjnewfie said:
18 hours ago, The Plvis said:

I for one use my rear brakes A LOT. The majority of the time I'm breaking, I'm using them (in conjunction with my front). It's something I reluctantly learned the importance of after riding strictly street bikes for 20 years before switching to dirt bikes (I rarely touched my rear brake on the street). I have no idea what kind of terrain you ride in, but when I ride I can't go 100' without getting wet. Drums are aweful when wet. Disks aren't. People can argue the benefits of a drum brake, but after having numerous dirt bikes of all colours with rear disks, then buying (and falling in love with) my 230f with drums, I can't understand anyone preferring a drum brake over a disk. Disks grab better, don't fade, and aren't affected by water in the same way. In my opinion, there's no comparison on how much better disk brakes are over drums. I think the argument of a bent disk ruining your day is valid, but that's why they sell disk guards (which I've never used on previous bikes, and never got stranded).

Go 3:30 into the video and note the braking difference between the 1983 KX80 and the 2016 KX85. Sometimes we can't improve fire or the wheel no matter how much we need to push a new product out the door.

22 hours ago, The Plvis said:

• Like 1