Sign in to follow this  

02 yz250 knocking

Just did the top end on my bike on my own yesterday along with new air filter, spark plug and throttle cable. This was my first time rebuilding a dirtbike myself. But I got it all together everything seemed to go together good didn’t have any problems I started it up 3 times and it was revving really high and I noticed I could screw the throttle cable In more so I did that started it back up and it was normal and I was just letting it idle and I noticed there’s a knocking from the motor somewhere and it wasn’t like this before I messed with it I really don’t know anything about what it could be I’ve read lots of info on it and I can’t single out what it could be I’ve seen stuff about spark knock, bottom end bearings, power valve linkage, piston slap I just don’t even know where to start looking any ideas??

23 minutes ago, Zack1299 said:

Just did the top end on my bike on my own yesterday along with new air filter, spark plug and throttle cable. This was my first time rebuilding a dirtbike myself. But I got it all together everything seemed to go together good didn’t have any problems I started it up 3 times and it was revving really high and I noticed I could screw the throttle cable In more so I did that started it back up and it was normal and I was just letting it idle and I noticed there’s a knocking from the motor somewhere and it wasn’t like this before I messed with it I really don’t know anything about what it could be I’ve read lots of info on it and I can’t single out what it could be I’ve seen stuff about spark knock, bottom end bearings, power valve linkage, piston slap I just don’t even know where to start looking any ideas??

Are you talking about the faster knock that you can hardly hear in the video but sounds loud when your head is close to the motor. The knock that's faster than the speed of the idle?

Edited by Clutch44

Are you talking about the faster knock that you can hardly hear in the video but sounds loud when your head is close to the motor. The knock that's faster than the speed of the idle?

Yes I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or if its something to be concerned about

28 minutes ago, Zack1299 said:

Yes I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid or if its something to be concerned about

I've had many yzs and they all seem to do that. More so when the motor is cold. It really sounds loud after you tinker with it because you're on high alert. I don't know what it is though. 

• Like 1

Got a new YZ 250X in the spring and I was worried about that sound as well. Somebody told me it's the good ole Yamaha tick.... Ride Her

• Like 1

Our motors are super noisy and just sounds like rod knock or piston slap. Even after a complete top-bottom end rebuild I kicked my 04’ over and it sounded like that. You’re good brother, get out and rip!

• Like 1