Sign in to follow this  

Need help on a possible wiring issue

I have a 2008 klx 140 and the previous owner installed an aftermarket headlight/taillight. I was replacing the on/off switch and I must have moved or touched some of the ignition wires. Now the bike starts fine 75% of the time, but 25% I get nothing on the starter button. If I move the handlebars to the right it will start right up. When I’m riding it, the bike will die and fire right back up quickly wile in gear and I’m moving. The loss of momentum causes me to move forward over the handlebars.

I have checked both the Off/Run switch wires and the starter button wires for anything that was pinched or loose. How do I go about finding the problem?

Chase the wires from the on/off switch back to the relay/starter etc. Since the problem goes away when you turn the head it is likely the wires are getting tight and disconnecting a connector or splice. Also test the on/off switch, shake it around, it could be a intermittent on/off switch, sometimes new parts fail. The fact it all started when you replaced the switch points to either of those. 

Chase the wires from the on/off switch back to the relay/starter etc. Since the problem goes away when you turn the head it is likely the wires are getting tight and disconnecting a connector or splice. Also test the on/off switch, shake it around, it could be a intermittent on/off switch, sometimes new parts fail. The fact it all started when you replaced the switch points to either of those. 

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a shot. Do you have any tips on finding the starter? One of the problems is that all the wires from the front go into this rubber conduit, so it’s hard to follow the individual wires.

Once they go into the protective rubber tube there should not be an issue with turn tugging and slack. Most likely the issue is at your new switch but I found this online. This wiring diagram I found online is for 2013, but Kawi typically makes almost all years of these bikes identical for many years, so this might help. The whole manual is here as well. http://mybikemanuals.com/kawasaki/kawasaki-kl-owners-manuals/#

image.png.4934eea5e6b376fd77136b044b01e4eb.png

Check the connectors mounted on the steering head  !!!! plug and unplug them I had to resoldet a connection up there !

Thanks for all the help. I found a used Run/Stop switch on eBay for my model. Installed it and the problem seems to have gone away.

• Like 1