Sign in to follow this  

newmexico Winter ADV/Dual Sport Ride

I'm looking to get out of the CO. winter, starting to plan winter ride.
1. Is the Lincoln N.F. in Souther New Mexico ridable in winter.
2. Has anyone done any type of big loop encompassing Lincoln N.F. Roswell, South Eastern New Mexico
3. Looking for mostly off-road, dirt roads, two tracks and moderately challenging single track for fully loaded Dr650, etc. Some nice pavement is always welcome as a break/connector.
4. looking at January/February as ride time.
5. probably 4-5 day riding, camping on the trail, etc.
Any help would be appreciated
I am looking at other winter get aways, this is just one option on the table.

• Like 1

It can get pretty cold during that time.  But then again, it could be 60+ degrees.  I guarantee it will be cold at night and I wouldn't want to camp during that time there.  Sounds like a fun loop though and I'm sure there are plenty of options for trails/roads in that area.

Just as an example, I was in Roswell a couple years ago for a competitive skeet shoot in mid February.  Saturday it was close to 70 degrees and absolutely beautiful.  Sunday morning a front moved in from the north and dumped 6 inches of snow.  It was miserable.  The drive back to Amarillo, which normally takes 3 hours, took nearly 5.  UGH!  

It can get pretty cold during that time.  But then again, it could be 60+ degrees.  I guarantee it will be cold at night and I wouldn't want to camp during that time there.  Sounds like a fun loop though and I'm sure there are plenty of options for trails/roads in that area.
Just as an example, I was in Roswell a couple years ago for a competitive skeet shoot in mid February.  Saturday it was close to 70 degrees and absolutely beautiful.  Sunday morning a front moved in from the north and dumped 6 inches of snow.  It was miserable.  The drive back to Amarillo, which normally takes 3 hours, took nearly 5.  UGH!  
But did you make Amarillo by morning?

2 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
34 minutes ago, Snotrub said:

But did you make Amarillo by morning?

Haha, no.  Amarillo by bedtime.  😏

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, Black Cat 76 said:

I'm looking to get out of the CO. winter, starting to plan winter ride.
1. Is the Lincoln N.F. in Souther New Mexico ridable in winter.
2. Has anyone done any type of big loop encompassing Lincoln N.F. Roswell, South Eastern New Mexico
3. Looking for mostly off-road, dirt roads, two tracks and moderately challenging single track for fully loaded Dr650, etc. Some nice pavement is always welcome as a break/connector.
4. looking at January/February as ride time.
5. probably 4-5 day riding, camping on the trail, etc.
Any help would be appreciated
I am looking at other winter get aways, this is just one option on the table.

I'm wondering about the same for a ride around New Years. Was looking at Red Sands OHV south of Alamogordo. It says the average high for January is 58 but I can see it being either beautiful or freezing when I get there. haha

Thanks for getting back to me with some local info. I think I'll end up saving this ride area for spring time. Off to the desert west I suppose, just need to get on the bike no matter what.