09 CRF450X Desert Ripper Build (Pic Heavy)

I just reenlisted a few weeks ago and got a pretty decent bonus from Uncle Sugar, so I decided to treat myself to an X that has been sitting on the lot of a local shop for the better part of a year now. They wanted $4000 for it. It was kind of beat looking, wouldn’t start because it had been sitting with old gas in it for so long, and the fork seals were leaking for the same reasons. I figured I'd take a gamble on it, so I told the dealership I would pay them $2800 OTD. They came back with $3600 plus TT&L, so I got up and walked out. They chased me out and said they'd take my offer. 

I neglected to take any before pictures, but here's the skinny: this bike is a strange case. A lot of components on this bike said it saw very little hard use (if any), but many other components spoke of neglect. I dropped the forks and shock of to my local tuner for a rebuild and revalve. He said the things were virgin, looked brand new on the inside and had the original honda oil in them. The swingarm looks great on it, no gouges on the frame, and the radiators look great. Somewhere in its life, however, some idiot decided to plastidip some of the white parts on the bike (brake line clamps, fork guards, and the IMS tank). That is always a bad sign. I was able to clean pretty much all of it off. The airbox was barely opened up, a JD jetting kit was installed, and a smog block off kit installed by someone, somewhere along the line. The carb was completely gummed up and wouldn't run without the choke on. I cleaned it out, installed new jets and a few R&D goodies. Now the thing runs great, and fires on the first or second touch of the button. Current jetting is rich for my current location, but should work for where I am moving in a couple weeks:

48 Pilot

175 Main

FS 2.25

NCYS needle, Clip 3

1 3/4 turns out on R&D Bowl (#50 Leak equivalent)

I drained the coolant and flushed the system. There was plenty of coolant, but it smelled like cattle pond water, which is something I've never experienced. Replaced with Engine Ice. Finished opening up the airbox completely and installed a new filter. Valves are in-spec. I replaced the starter clutch. The clutch basket had no grooves worn in it, and the frictions/plates looked great. If I had to make a guess, I'd say the bike has somewhere between 50 and 70 hours on it.

The plastics were original, as were the chain and sprockets. I would bet a paycheck that the spokes never saw a spoke wrench, and the rear rim had a dent in it. The front rotor was bent as well. So I ordered a new wheelset from FasterUSA with a new front rotor, and Ironman sprockets (14/50) with a DID Narrow X-Ring Chain, then threw on a set of Kenda Parker DT's (Nitromousse in the front, IRC UHD tube in the rear). New RTech Plastics all around, and a new OEM headlight shroud were installed. The original front brake line was beat, so I threw a new Galfer steel braided line on it, and a fresh set of OEM front pads for good measure. 

Greased all bearings. All of them looked great, except for the lower shock bearing, which was completely rusted, presumably from someone pressure-washing too close. Replaced with OEM.

Levers were original and looked good, but I'm a huge fan of ARC, so this bike got the full treatment. 

Spliced/soldered e-start clutch switch wiring together, and performed the pink wire mod by unclipping the contact at the connector and moving it to the dummy slot.

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_7132.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_5405.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_9712.JPG

IMG_9881.JPG

IMG_5111.JPG

IMG_7394.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 2

Side note: yes, I know I put my left Racetech fork sticker on upside down 🙃

Future plans for the bike, in no particular order:

- JCR Speed Shop Pro Circuit Spec Full Exhaust (on order with that 30% off Black Friday Deal)

- JCR Spec Cam

- Spare Head with TRX Valves

- BRP Top Clamp/Scotts Top Mount kit

- Lithium Battery

- New suede seat cover

- Split Designs SLR Honda Replica graphics, or JCR graphics kit

- TMDesignworks Slider/Chain Guide Kit

- Swingarm Reinforcement

- IMS Core Enduro Pegs with RX mounts/kickstand

- Radiator Braces

- Baja Designs Squadron Pro, stator rewind and reg/rec

- ZipTy Rear Disc Guard

- AZ Street Title/Plate 😎

Edited by CSAR FE

Don't worry so much about the battery or the rear disk guard put those low on the list. Swing arm first then also consider putting the newer style R front master cylinder on for a little better braking up front. But this thing will be one sweet bike once your done with it!

Edited by Frenchytoast

7 hours ago, Frenchytoast said:

Don't worry so much about the battery or the rear disk guard put those low on the list. Swing arm first then also consider putting the newer style R front master cylinder on for a little better braking up front. But this thing will be one sweet bike once your done with it!

What was the turn around time for your swingarm reinforcement?

I think my next move will be a BRP top clamp and damper mount.

5 hours ago, CSAR FE said:

What was the turn around time for your swingarm reinforcement?

I think my next move will be a BRP top clamp and damper mount.

He is usually just 2-4 days on turn around time. So it is pretty quick usually. 

I love riding with a steering damper so I will say that will be well worth it.

A little bit of Scott’s/BRP love in the mail today. If my bike doesn’t have a Scott’s damper on it, I won’t ride it.

My buddy bought a set of Flexx bars for his Husky and decided he didn’t want them, so I’ll be scooping them up for $150, for the X. Currently, there’s a set of Pro Taper Evo CR Highs on it. The height is good, but the CR high bend has too much sweep, and feels like a set of beach cruisers to me. My favorite bend is Renthal’s KTM high, and these flexx bars are very close to the same dimensions.

Ive been chatting with Joe Lloyd of JCR Speed Shop, and plan on picking up a new head with SS valves, and their cam here shortly.

It sounds like the JCR spec T6 exhaust system is around a month out on backorder from Pro Circuit, so I’ll be patiently waiting 😌

1FA1C28A-CEBB-464F-9A2C-94C8293845EF.jpeg

Edited by CSAR FE

I am the same way with the stabilizers. You'll love the flex bars, I always run the red rebound and the yellow compression on my bars and love it. Once you do a head upgrade and cam you will love the bike even more. 

17 minutes ago, Frenchytoast said:

I am the same way with the stabilizers. You'll love the flex bars, I always run the red rebound and the yellow compression on my bars and love it. Once you do a head upgrade and cam you will love the bike even more. 

I have never tried them before, so I’m interested to see what all the hype is about. 

Ill post up some results once I get my hands on the JCR cam, and get some seat time with it. Joe told me it is similar to the 02 cam, which is what I am looking for. The plus is I don’t have to find an 02 cam, or buy a carrier and decomp mech, since the JCR cam is a drop in replacement.

Scooped up these Flexx bars from my buddy yesterday for a cool $150, then slapped some Renthal full waffle grips. He had the softest compression dampers on them, but I didn’t want as much flex so I threw the reds on. I got lucky in that the bars came with the damper crossbars, so that saved me another $40.

My local shop had these Fastway Evo 3 pegs in today. They wanted $150, but I got them to price match Motosport.com. Saved another $30 there.

I ordered a complete head with SS valves from Joe at JCR Speedshop yesterday, along with his race replica cam. I will be ordering the rest of the parts to do a complete top end here in a few weeks, after my life settles out from this move.

487A89EA-6423-49FA-B0CD-38A0EE137F4D.jpeg

7F9DD9A3-1155-4C66-BD91-B26D5BAC39F5.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting pics. Those crossbars are a trip! That’s gonna be one sweet x!

41 minutes ago, 5Rs said:

Thanks for posting pics. Those crossbars are a trip! That’s gonna be one sweet x!

Thank you!

The crossbars are definitely odd. I tried to fit the bar pad to them, but it looks stupid. Maybe I should put it on and leave it though. These crossbars look like they’d be good at breaking a couple ribs or knocking out some front teeth in a bad wreck.

I was thinking something like that. I turned my Scott’s damper 180* to help me not get a Scott’s imprint on my chest. 

6507314B-3CE2-4A2D-B12E-B54808059900.jpeg

Edited by 5Rs

20 minutes ago, 5Rs said:

I was thinking something like that. I turned my Scott’s damper 180* to help me not get a Scott’s imprint on my chest. 

6507314B-3CE2-4A2D-B12E-B54808059900.jpeg

In all honesty though, I’ve run my dampers as a top mount on all but one of the bikes I’ve ever owne, and I’ve neved busted my face or my chest on them. You never know, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CSAR FE said:

Thank you!

The crossbars are definitely odd. I tried to fit the bar pad to them, but it looks stupid. Maybe I should put it on and leave it though. These crossbars look like they’d be good at breaking a couple ribs or knocking out some front teeth in a bad wreck.

Ive been running the flex bars like that with the stabilizer cross bar for years and raced with them for years and never had an issue with hitting or anything

• Like 1

Got settled into our new house in AZ and decided to start on the motor refresh. What better way is there to break in a new garage?

New OEM piston, head from JCR, and JCR's cam went in, along with a new cam chain tensioner and some other small bits. I was going to put a new cam chain in, but rocky mountain decided to not put it in the box, despite being on the inventory list, so I'll have to do that another time. They're giving me grief about it, but that's another discussion for another time.

Everything looked great inside the motor. The crosshatching still looked new, and the piston looked great. The head had a lot of carbon on it, so whomever had it before me was running the bike pretty rich. Got everything back together this morning, did three heat cycles, and then took it out for a quick ride. The bike is noticeably tighter-feeling. Quite a bit more power everywhere, especially in the mid and top end, and snappier throttle response. I'm excited to see how she feels after break in is complete and I can go full-throttle with it. 

I have some more JCR goodies coming, along with hand guards. Still waiting on the PC pipe. Next on the list will be new chain slider/guide, radiator braces, Hinson goodies, and probably send the swingarm out to RaceCo to beef up the chain guide mounts. I probably need to do that sooner than later, since its super rocky out here.

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_4604.JPG

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 1

Dig hearing about an x getting a good going through. Garage looks pretty sweet having just moved in! 

• Like 1

CSAR, one of these days when you have time show us your arrangement of tools in the boxes please. I like to see how guys arrange things, I'll bet your's is done right.

2 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

CSAR, one of these days when you have time show us your arrangement of tools in the boxes please. I like to see how guys arrange things, I'll bet your's is done right.

Piney, I'll try and get some pictures up for you tomorrow. I'm not sure what "right" is, but I have my own way of organizing things, and try to keep like items in the same drawers. I'm not a professional by any means, just a dude that likes to work in his garage enough to get in trouble with his wife. 

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, CSAR FE said:

Ill post up some results once I get my hands on the JCR cam, and get some seat time with it. Joe told me it is similar to the 02 cam, which is what I am looking for. The plus is I don’t have to find an 02 cam, or buy a carrier and decomp mech, since the JCR cam is a drop in replacement.

So what is involved in putting an 02 R cam into a 09 or newer x?  I am looking to get a newer bike and swap over my goodies but if the cam is a hassle I'll throw it in the wife's 05 and look to other options.  Andddd, while I'm at it I have an older 06ish head, does that go on the 09 and newer bikes straight away?

Gracias

Edited by BMRFlagstaff

6 minutes ago, BMRFlagstaff said:

So what is involved in putting an 02 R cam into a 09 or newer x?  I am looking to get a newer bike and swap over my goodies but if the cam is a hassle I'll throw it in the wife's 05 and look to other options.  Andddd, while I'm at it I have an older 06ish head, does that go on the 09 and newer bikes straight away?

Gracias

To put an 02 cam in an 09+ requires you to swap over the entire cam carrier and decompression assembly. The 08 R cam is a drop in replacement, because Honda went to the auto decompression assembly on the 08 R models, so it requires no additional parts to install in the 09 and up X models.

The 08 R cam will yield good results as well, but the 02 R cam is the most powerful/aggressive cam profile that Honda put out. I didn’t want to try and source all the parts for the 02 R cam swap because you can’t buy a new OEM one; they are discontinued. Buying one off of eBay is a gamble because there are no part numbers stamped on them, and who knows what the history is. The JCR cam costs about as much as it would be to piece together what I needed for an 02 R cam swap, but has a very similar profile and was easier to deal with. 

The head, I am unsure of.

• Like 1