09 CRF450X Desert Ripper Build (Pic Heavy)

Swapped the X petcock and fuel pickup for the R parts. Pretty straightforward. I bought the R fuel line that runs from the tank to the petcock and found it to be a tad short and wanted to pinch when bolting the petcock back to the frame. Swapped it out with one of the X hoses and it works much better.

I also swapped in an 08 CRF450R front brake master cylinder. I got tired of looking on eBay for one that wasn’t trashed, so I ordered the complete assembly. For anyone who decides to go this route; the “complete assembly” isn’t exactly complete. There are a couple differences between the 08+ R model front brake master cylinder and the X model. First off, the x master cylinder doesn’t have a push rod (#23) between the lever and the piston. Second, the width of the slot in master cylinder where the lever slides into is wider on the R than on the X. This means your lever on your X mc won’t swap over to your R mc and work correctly. 

TL;DR if buying a new 08+ R front brake MC off of the microfiche for your X, you need to order numbers 3, 12, and 23, in addition to a brake lever specific to an 08+ R model.

So if anyone isn’t doing this swap and wants to buy an ARC brake lever with like 8 hours on it for a good price, let me know ?

39B442D5-8829-43D1-AC97-02B11013B468.jpeg

3B9E2051-4217-46C5-90E7-5B3B563BBAA8.jpeg

6CB47C17-C105-4EE9-A4B4-B858B71DF2CA.jpeg

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 2

Here’s a comparison of the KXF swingarm bolt (left), next to the CRFX swingarm boot (right). Although thicker, the KXF version feels lighter than the one of the X. 

If if you do this mod, make sure you order the nut and washer with the swingarm bolt. 

Shoutout to @Frenchytoast for mentioning this mod in his build thread. 

8201CFBF-8B69-45CD-A598-1B9F796C89D9.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CSAR FE said:

Here’s a comparison of the KXF swingarm bolt (left), next to the CRFX swingarm boot (right). Although thicker, the KXF version feels lighter than the one of the X. 

If if you do this mod, make sure you order the nut and washer with the swingarm bolt. 

Shoutout to @Frenchytoast for mentioning this mod in his build thread. 

What year KXF450? 

• 5 months later...

Haven't updated in a while, but I was able to get a lot of little things tidied up after getting home from my most recent deployment. 

- Swapped out ARC Clutch Perch for Works Connection Perch/Hot Start Lever setup. Over all, its much nicer and I no longer have to have the kill button in a weird position so it doesn't interfere with the hot start lever. 

- Got the CRF450R Front Brake MC finished up with the correct pivot bolt

- Swapped the Kenda Parker DT Front for a Washougal. Much better front end traction, especially in the turn.

- RX Peg Mounts and Kickstand. Looks much nicer and tucks up much higher than the legacy X kickstand. Lighter too!

- Swapped out R&D Powerbowl for new OE Bowl Setup. Replaced all mid-body gaskets, hoses, hot start cable nut and float bowl drain nut w/Tokyomods parts. New Hot Start Cable.

- New Clutch Cable

- Full Hinson Clutch

- Installed Baja Designs Dual XL Pro headlight setup

At this point, there really isn't much left to do to this bike. I may either paint the lower clamp with Steel-It, or just get the BRP lower clamp, and have the spring powder coated red (I hate that race tech makes all their springs blue). Outside of that, this product is pretty much finished. Its been an absolute blast. I love how great this bike still is, given the age of its design. I haven't ridden a more comfortable bike in the desert. I guess if its good, its good! 

I hope you all are staying healthy in these strange times. God bless you all.

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Looks amazing! I recently swapped a Washougal in for a Parker DT on the front and it’s been night and day for confidence in fast turns. Seems a Washougal up front and a Parker DT in back is a great setup for these bikes. ?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CSAR FE said:

Haven't updated in a while, but I was able to get a lot of little things tidied up after getting home from my most recent deployment. 

- Swapped out ARC Clutch Perch for Works Connection Perch/Hot Start Lever setup. Over all, its much nicer and I no longer have to have the kill button in a weird position so it doesn't interfere with the hot start lever. 

- Got the CRF450R Front Brake MC finished up with the correct pivot bolt

- Swapped the Kenda Parker DT Front for a Washougal. Much better front end traction, especially in the turn.

- RX Peg Mounts and Kickstand. Looks much nicer and tucks up much higher than the legacy X kickstand. Lighter too!

- Swapped out R&D Powerbowl for new OE Bowl Setup. Replaced all mid-body gaskets, hoses, hot start cable nut and float bowl drain nut w/Tokyomods parts. New Hot Start Cable.

- New Clutch Cable

- Full Hinson Clutch

- Installed Baja Designs Dual XL Pro headlight setup

At this point, there really isn't much left to do to this bike. I may either paint the lower clamp with Steel-It, or just get the BRP lower clamp, and have the spring powder coated red (I hate that race tech makes all their springs blue). Outside of that, this product is pretty much finished. Its been an absolute blast. I love how great this bike still is, given the age of its design. I haven't ridden a more comfortable bike in the desert. I guess if its good, its good! 

I hope you all are staying healthy in these strange times. God bless you all.

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

Nice job! Have you ridden it at night yet?   (Curious as to how you like the BD's)

The X is looking awesome. When you removed the hot start cable & redid the clutch perch, what hot start plunger did you go with on the carb? I haven’t used the hot start ever lol so would like to dump the perch/lever on the bars.

Edited by 5Rs

4 hours ago, 5Rs said:

The X is looking awesome. When you removed the hot start cable & redid the clutch perch, what hot start plunger did you go with on the carb? I haven’t used the hot start ever lol so would like to dump the perch/lever on the bars.

I just installed a new OEM hot start cable. I didn’t get rid of it.

5 hours ago, 00boob said:

Nice job! Have you ridden it at night yet?   (Curious as to how you like the BD's)

I installed them a couple days ago, and have actually been very busy, so I haven’t had the chance to take it out at night yet. 

• Like 1

You can delete the remote hot start lever and just put a stock choke pull where the hot start screws in. Works great. (I never use mine either haha.)
  • Like 1