Sign in to follow this  

83 CR60R - Restore? or Part out?

Hello all, 

I recently found a very dilapidated 83 CR60R in a junk yard.  This was my first bike, got one brand new back in 84, its the bike that gave me the bug!  I was struck with nostalgia so I bought it from the guy for $200. Had the intentions of restoring it but after digging in I'm reconsidering, I dont even have spark. I had no idea how difficult it would be to find key parts.  Ex - coil hanger, CDI box, chain guide, intake boot, etc etc etc. 

I've been looking at Rocky mountain ATV and many of the parts are not made any more, does anyone have any tips for finding companies that manufacture old discontinued parts? At this point, I'm considering parting it out because the restoration task seems quite daunting.  I'd much rather restore this thing but dont want to spend more than a $1000.

Adivse??

20181125_105534.jpg

eBay is probably your best bet for used parts. There comes a point a bike is not worth restoring. In your case there's some sentimental value in the bike that makes it harder to put a number on it. You need to see what a running bike in good condition is selling for. If you can buy everything you need for that price then definitely go for it. If the cost of parts are going to more than 125% of it's value then it's probably not worth it. Your better off just buying a complete working bike. 

I've done several older bikes now myself and just about every one I put more money in than what it's worth. Just don't get carried away and spend to much. 

• Like 1

eBay is probably your best bet for used parts. There comes a point a bike is not worth restoring. In your case there's some sentimental value in the bike that makes it harder to put a number on it. You need to see what a running bike in good condition is selling for. If you can buy everything you need for that price then definitely go for it. If the cost of parts are going to more than 125% of it's value then it's probably not worth it. Your better off just buying a complete working bike. 
I've done several older bikes now myself and just about every one I put more money in than what it's worth. Just don't get carried away and spend to much. 
Yeah i hear ya, ive seen some that are going for around 1K to 1.5K, this seems like a lost cause, i'll be smarter with my next restoration project, thanks for chiming in brotha!

I bought two good running CR60's on Craigslist a few years ago. An 83 ($350) and an 84 ($400). The 84 was clean, original, and had new tires. Here's a neighbor kid on the 84. He loves it...

As others have said, parts are getting scarce for these old bikes. Probably be best to part yours out, sadly...

image.jpeg.43ed208b49e39ea8dcc1645c9a5a2c6c.jpeg

Randy

• Like 2

Kid looks pretty stoked on that thing! great post, i agree i can find another one. Some guy around town keeps asking me to buy his for about 1.5 K but after seeing your post, i think i'll keep looking, bound to be a better deal out there. Would love to have another '83 thanks for your input man, appreciatcha bro.

I was looking at one about 12 years ago that needed a new exhaust. After searching for parts online I realized that those bikes were made in such limited numbers parts would be hard to find. I really wanted my son to race nothing but Honda’s so it would have been nice to have one but I decided against it because I didn’t want to get stuck having to find something in a hurry. If you’re heart is set on it keep that one and buy another that’s intact and running. Then you have a source for parts should you need them. 

• Like 1