New to me 2002 KTM 250EXC

Picked up an 02 EXC250 for a price that couldn't be passed up, the bike sat for 7 years with an unknown history. My first two stroke in a while. After clearing the fuel tank petcock the bike fired right up but only ran on the choke (sorta expected that). Ran strong though, wheelies without effort in first and second without trying (I'm 57, I don't try to wheelie ). Pulled exhaust to peer into cylinder and the piston looked pretty good. You can even see some horizontal machining lines on the piston (looks sorta new). Nothing significant on the cylinder wall. 
So here is my question, I bought it with the negotiation that I need at least a top end and maybe a bottom end. Based on the inspection via the exhaust would you bother to open the top or just ride it until it shows indications of needing a top end? The pic peering into the exhaust is horribly out of focus but shows no sign of blow by the rings. I believe there is supposed to be an O ring on the exhaust spigot, there was none and that's what I'm blaming for the oil mess at the exhaust ? ..

Also posted this on ADV rider

Any comments greatly appreciated

Mike

Left side.jpg

Peering in.jpg

12 hours ago, Center Punch said:

Does it still only run while choked ?

If so, that's a tell-tale sign of a blocked pilot jet.

Jet was clogged. Bike is in pieces :) It was definitely rode hard. Shock heim joint-shot, rear wheel bearings-toast, the aluminum sub frame is well worn due to rubbing of the plastic on the sub frame. Interesting is the fact that there is a new front wheel and brakes. Cold weather is coming so it keeps me occupied out in the garage :)

I going the "ride and enjoy" route. Tearing it down is fun too

Mike 

old bearings and heim joint-1.jpg

w-out shock 1.jpg

Got a few hours on her when the shifter is worn to a knife edge!  I picked up a 450 MXC like that....been rode hard, went through her, new bearings, jets, ect...awesome bike now.  Will last you many years.

• Like 1

Is the rear brake banjo bolt a 1.25 pitch or a 1.0 pitch on a 2002 KTM250EXC? Reason being is that I want to add a rear brake light to make it legit (sort of).

If someone with more forum knowledge than me wants to move this to the KTM 2 Stroke forum it is fine with me

Edited by Mike944