Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder works/ Vertex High Comp pistion

My 06 YZ450 is almost to 310 hours with about 140 on the current top end. Was going to do a top end rebuild and saw a deal on the Cylinder Works standard bore high compression piston bumping up from 12.5 to 1 to 13.5 to 1 compression. Anyone have experience with these kits with one of the 5 valve Yamaha motors? My concern mostly comes from a longevity and reliability stand point. More power would be nice but not necessarily needed. 

They produce a little more power, but the added baggage if needing to run race fuel makes it cost more every time you fill up. They will run on regular fuel (91) but you run the risk of detonation and engine damage. There is plenty of misinformation on this out there. There are products that is supposed to protect against detonation by raising octane which may work. I would buy the real deal to have some confidence in what you are putting in your machine. The increase in power may put additional stress on your engine but maybe that little bit more power is worth it. A lot of people sluff off some of the maintenance intervals and replacement of pistons, but it may be a mistake to neglect it with high compression. If you are searching for more power out of it while the top is off maybe you could splurge on some head work and a real tune by someone qualified.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

The other issue with it is it is likely a two ring piston. The stock or a three ring will last longer. 

It is a two ring piston. Im thinking it may be best just to stick with a standard piston. I plan on running this bike for a long time. Power has never been an issue for me but thought if it was harmless then to go for it but sounds like more trouble then it is worth and cause a potential hit to the long term reliability. Thanks for chiming in, I know you have a lot of experience with these 5 valves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tmeyer37 said:

It is a two ring piston. Im thinking it may be best just to stick with a standard piston. I plan on running this bike for a long time. Power has never been an issue for me but thought if it was harmless then to go for it but sounds like more trouble then it is worth and cause a potential hit to the long term reliability. Thanks for chiming in, I know you have a lot of experience with these 5 valves. 

Yeah I’ve got two left. Very reliable good bikes. But if you figure you got that many hours out of the stock set up and put in likewise it will do it again.