Sign in to follow this  

Fixing engine

'85 xr600 leaks oil and smokes a little. So it needs gaskets and rings, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Started in a couple kicks after being left for a few months. Should I bother with the stator or anything else since it starts and runs fine? Is there a stator out there with more power output?

Ricky Stator - DC conversion is the way to goooo. $300 of good glory. 

Aside from that, if it ain't broke don't fix it haha. Find out where the smoke is coming from first, then go from there. Could be a leaky head gasket that's dripping/burning on the heads. 

First thing you are gonna do is pull cam cover , then the  head. Send your head out for a valve job at a good machine shop . Get a new cam chain . Put in a new oil pump assembly. That means a whole assembled unit . Check , Honda east Toledo and partzilla for prices. It's been a while but I think they were around $235 . I google  a search for online Honda parts when i am pricing parts . If you spend bucks on a build and soon after your oil pump goes you'll lose everything you put into it and more . Clean the screen on the bottom of the down tube oil tank nipple where the black flex hose links the motor to the oil tank . Of course get a service manual . Oh.      When you put the black flex hoses back on after you've installed the motored in the frame , be aware that you don't  put a kink in the black oil hoses because you tighten the fittings and can twist it to the point of a stoppage of the oil flow . Again a catastrofic oil failure melt down . These are just some common mistakes people make .

• Like 1

I just went on ebay , and there is a partzilla marketplace . Brand new xr 650 l camshaft assembly is  $161.74 ,Part #14000-MAN-690 .  Brand new oil pump assembly is $109.51  .Cheaper than I remembered .