Sign in to follow this  

Want a dualsport but not sure what?

Torn with what ds to try and get. I’ve been looking at new fe501’s and just looked at a 450l but not sure I want to spend that much money. And the 450l seemed super heavy. Was maybe thinking a used old xr400r or maybe a used ktm500exc that’s a few years old? I really don’t know. I would do a lot of street and dirt riding on it. 

3 minutes ago, Mad Mark said:

Torn with what ds to try and get. I’ve been looking at new fe501’s and just looked at a 450l but not sure I want to spend that much money. And the 450l seemed super heavy. Was maybe thinking a used old xr400r or maybe a used ktm500exc that’s a few years old? I really don’t know. I would do a lot of street and dirt riding on it. 

I have had 16 MX & Dual Sport bikes in the 45 years I've been riding, & I can tell you my current 2018 KTM 500 EXC-F is hands down the best bike I have ever had including my full race YZ's! It is the do all bike! I can go literally anywhere I want to go from the freeway to the Motocross track & all trails in between.

River.jpg

• Like 3

I have had 16 MX & Dual Sport bikes in the 45 years I've been riding, & I can tell you my current 2018 KTM 500 EXC-F is hands down the best bike I have ever had including my full race YZ's! It is the do all bike! I can go literally anywhere I want to go from the freeway to the Motocross track & all trails in between.
River.jpg.9753d5b14b683d894ebd5fb3ae8603eb.jpg
What have you done to your 2018? I just bought one and it dies all the time, back fires on decel and really seems to run hot. It really is a big disappointment. I really want to find out what I need to do to get this thing running right. Need help Please.... Thanks, Steve

50 minutes ago, hndardr said:
2 hours ago, rustyg61 said:

Read more  

What have you done to your 2018? I just bought one and it dies all the time, back fires on decel and really seems to run hot. It really is a big disappointment. I really want to find out what I need to do to get this thing running right. Need help Please.... Thanks, Steve

If yours is box stock you need to remove the reed valve on the intake, get an aftermarket end cap for your silencer or a whole new silencer, either a fuel tuner like JD Tuner, or Vortex Ignition, & a de-smog kit. I pulled my reeds, got a ProMoto Billet end cap, & a JD Tuner to start with. All that helped with the stalling or "Flame Outs" but it still backfired on deceleration until I did the de-smog. The backfiring is caused by the air injection valve on your exhaust header on the cylinder. ktmandhusky.com sells the de-smog kit for $25 & it worked great. The JD Tuner made it run much better than stock but it had some dead spots in the powerband & it would hit the rev limiter & cut out when I opened it up, so I sold the JD Tuner & got a Vortex ignition & now it screams with no dead spots & no dying or flame outs. If you have the money get the Vortex. They are around $700 VS $250 for the JD. Contact Jeff "aka" Bolt on here & he will give you a good deal on all the parts you need. He bought my JD Tuner back from me & sold me the Vortex even though I didn't buy the JD from him. Don't pull the reeds & open up the silencer without either getting a tuner or Vortex. It will run way too lean without modifying the fuel supply with a tuner or Vortex.

• Like 2

I had a ton of fun with a street-legal XR400 in two versions - DS set-up and a quick-change SuperMoto wheelset.  This has the Baja Designs DS kit with different lighting, but no turn signals.  I still think it's a great mid-size platform and a ton of hop-up parts (cams, pumper-carbs, big-bore kits, etc.) are still available, but three main negatives to consider...

1.  Getting pretty tough to find one in decent shape.

2.  No e-start.  Actually a pretty good theft deterrent.  If you don't have the right technique, you'll wear yourself out.  If you know how, usually 2 or 3 kicks...

3.  The 5-speed tranny ratios limit you a bit.  I spent a LOT of time and money on different sprocket setups.  The right setup for off-road will be a little buzzy on the freeway.  Gear it for top-end, and you'll lose a bit of the acceleration  fun-factor.  My supermoto gearing touches 90mph and still had decent wheelie power.  That gearing would be too high for anything but wide-open desert off-road.

Still a blast, and if I could have only one of the bikes in my garage, this would be the one.

XR400 Dual-Sport.jpg

xr400 sumo last.jpg

• Like 4

7DD4762D-EE92-44FB-9F3E-11F6F6D2D267.jpeg.e65ebacf1efc62f0ca727cc8fa600352.jpegget the 500 EXCF, remove smog and reeds out of intake, less restrictive muffler and instal Vortex Ecu. You will have the best bike available at this time. 

• Like 2

I have 2 dual sports. DRZ400 and a KLX250 lol. KLX250 feels more nimble than the drz400 but its gutless. I now want to sell my KLX250 and get either a FE350 or FE450 /(EXCF as well) down the road for trail hoping....but kind of like you...want to hit highway speeds for a short time.

If you are doing mostly street with easy trails like forest roads I would go with a 701. I think they are less maintenance. I want something thats more offroad oriented, so I think a 450 or 350 would be perfect for me and down the road just get like a 2T or something for more advanced technical riding.

i honestly want something like the CRF450L but make it weighs like a 2T lol. buddy has the crf450L and they hit 80MPH fine just feels heavy when im on it. I think I would have bought it if the service intervals were more

from what ive read, the FE350 and 450 have very nice wide gear ratios and the throttle response is nice from going slow and controlled movements to high speed riding and trail riding. This is just from the research ive done. 

if you planning to get CRF450L I would honestly consider KTM 690 enduro or FE701. They are more road friendly with offroad capabilities. 

Edited by willc86
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

Build quality on the KTM/Husqvarna is the BEST in general on the Euro bikes. They got the best fit/finish of all.

I have to agree!! seems Euro bikes seem to fit almost everyone's needs!!

• Like 3

the ktm500/husky501 are great bikes but beta's 500 runs perfect right out of the box and costs slightly less. if you have a dealer close by i would go that route. they have tons of aftermarket support and the company is doing well so parts won't be an issue. stock for stock they have more power than a ktm/husky but a modded ktm/husky will beat a beta 500 once you put some mods on them. the beta is 30cc less after all. but they are efi, 6 speed, good suspension and great handling bikes. slightly lower seat height as well.

• Like 4

There are many a choice for DS and plated dirt bikes that can fit your needs. I’ve used XRL bikes but hate to kick them and they are tall. CRF 230f, super fun in the woods, not so much on the street, but fine for connecting trails. I recently picked up a 450L and is by far better than any other I’ve owned on the road, yes it’s tall but that’s not so bad with e-start. I think it will suit me just fine for commuting, as well as For DS.

The Beta WOULD be a good choice. A well put together offering for sure. I would imagine that in the near future other manufactures are gonna get their act together and start making more bikes for this market. After the last 500 EXC was released it didn’t take long for Honda to get the 450 L out. They all won’t wanna miss their share of the sales. The future should be bright. Get your shades ready.

• Like 1

what about the KLX300R?? looking at this bike its enough to hit highway speeds, has 6 gears, cheap, and weighs 230lbs!! just get a suspension upgrade is all? heard its even pretty decent on single track! actually saw one the other day on the highway going 70 75mph lol probably on his way to a trail. prob should have gotten that instead of my dang 300lb klx250 that can barely hit 65mph

Edited by willc86

Actually, my 2018 FE 501 beat out the KTM. Basically the same bike. Manufactured by KTM. However, the suspension is different and that's what won over the critics.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 7:44 PM, hndardr said:
On 11/25/2018 at 6:05 PM, rustyg61 said:

Read more  

JD jetting makes a fuel module that plugs in that will give a little more fuel and cool it down,  Just over $200 as i recall

On 11/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, Scott Clemens said:

Actually, my 2018 FE 501 beat out the KTM. Basically the same bike. Manufactured by KTM. However, the suspension is different and that's what won over the critics.

The Husky has a rear linkage suspension, the KTM has a PDS rear shock mounted to the swing arm.  I prefer the linkage as it sticks the wheel to the ground better and feels a little more plush.  On the down side the linkage requires maintenance periodically.  The old 510's I used to ride had zerk fittings to grease it, the new ones don't

On 11/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, ar2stroke said:

I am going to sell the RM's, my DR650 and find me a KTM/Husqvarna dual sport bike. 

If you get used, stay away from Husky red heads...  those motors were built by BMW and when Husky went with KTM, BMW cut off the engine parts supply.

1 hour ago, woofhound said:

JD jetting makes a fuel module that plugs in that will give a little more fuel and cool it down,  Just over $200 as i recall

I had the JD Jetting tuner & it was a vast improvement over stock, but it had dead spots in the powerband & hit the rev limiter during wheel spin or wide open applications, so I sold it & got a Vortex Ignition. The Vortex is much better! No dead spots, higher rev limit, & more power throughout the entire power band.