Sign in to follow this  

Handling Beta xtrainer 300 2018 vs ktm exc-f/sherco se-f 250

How is the handling and ease of use if you compare the xtrainer vs some of the newer 250f. Ktm exc-f 250 or maybe sherco 250 4t. Also curious how its feels compared to a 125cc. 

I just bought a xtrainer 300 2018 and im still figuring out if I like it or not ?

The bike is light and low, thats the biggest reason I bought it, but Im not sure about if it was the right choice. 

I think its the 2t thats feels strange now in the beginning. I know i liked the 4 stroke feel. Last bike was a Suzuki rmz 250f -04. Everything feels kind of different now, not sure if its in a good way. 

36y, intermediate, 5'7, 150 lbs 

Just want a easy to ride, good handling bike. 

Whats your thoughts? 

The stock XT is about as close to a 4 stroke as 2 strokes get. 2 strokes don't have the consistent, planted feel response that 4 strokes have. On the reverse side you'll find that to can let that 2 stroke idle down to almost 0 rpm, open the throttle and it will refuse to stall.

As far as handling, the XT feels more like a large mini and is super easy to manhandle. Is set up very soft for slow and trials like riding. Unless you speak spatter's and jap zap the cheap and easy way to dramatically improve handling is to change the left fork leg fluid to 575cc's of 15 WT. This will allow you to ride at faster speeds without blowing through the travel and rebounding like a pogo stick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The stock XT is about as close to a 4 stroke as 2 strokes get. 2 strokes don't have the consistent, planted feel response that 4 strokes have. On the reverse side you'll find that to can let that 2 stroke idle down to almost 0 rpm, open the throttle and it will refuse to stall.

As far as handling, the XT feels more like a large mini and is super easy to manhandle. Is set up very soft for slow and trials like riding. Unless you speak spatter's and jap zap the cheap and easy way to dramatically improve handling is to change the left fork leg fluid to 575cc's of 15 WT. This will allow you to ride at faster speeds without blowing through the travel and rebounding like a pogo stick.

Thx for the answer. So what about the "four strokes are so much easier to ride." that I read everywhere? I havent tried any newer enduro 250f so I got nothing to compare with. Is the xtrainer easier to ride than a 250f?

Thx for the answer. So what about the "four strokes are so much easier to ride." that I read everywhere? I havent tried any newer enduro 250f so I got nothing to compare with. Is the xtrainer easier to ride than a 250f?
Depends. A 250F is more traceable so that has advantages in certain circumstances. However, the 300 2T has the advantage of torque and *hp (*derestricted) which is handy sometimes as well. They also feel lighter even if the weights are the same.

Describe the type of riding you'll be doing?

In the end it comes down to personal preference. I learned it ride on a 92 XR100R 4 stroke but switched to a 93 KX80 a year later. 2 strokes are what I grew up with and feel most comfortable on. I tried the 250F 1st in 03 and again in 14 but to me a 250 2 T just feels more natural.

4 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Depends. A 250F is more traceable so that has advantages in certain circumstances. However, the 300 2T has the advantage of torque and *hp (*derestricted) which is handy sometimes as well. They also feel lighter even if the weights are the same.

Describe the type of riding you'll be doing?

In the end it comes down to personal preference. I learned it ride on a 92 XR100R 4 stroke but switched to a 93 KX80 a year later. 2 strokes are what I grew up with and feel most comfortable on. I tried the 250F 1st in 03 and again in 14 but to me a 250 2 T just feels more natural.

Well, mainly kind of slow technical riding, also a reason I went for the XT. Its just that it feels so strange from what I remebered from how a dirt bike felt from 10 years ago when I had my rmz 250f ?

It doesent feel bad, just.. Strange. Who knows, I might love it after im getting used to it. ?

EIn 2014 I returned to dirtbike riding after some years. Before that I had a 2011 Husqvarna TE310, which was a real good bike.

I rode about 20 diferent bikes. In the end there stood a Sherco 300 f and a Beta RR300.

They were very similar to each other. But big difference to others. So the easy riding of the Sherco I didnt find at an other 4 stroke. (Maybe the CRF450 I liked much, but no estart and wrong gearing for my purpose).

so I took the Sherco at first. But it stalled and didnt start so much times. I stood in the woods, trying to get the engine running and it didnt. Then the estart wheels broke.

the worst thing was, that the importer was not able to seriously try to help me.

than I brought the Sherco back to my dealer and and took the 2014 RR300, standing there.

I still ride this bike with the tx setup. First I needed to learn 2stroke riding after having ridden only 4s for about 15 years. its a real good bike.

but both, the Sherco f and the 300 beta are good and easy to ride bikes, fo me better than many others. On your place I would just keep, what I have!

edith: my son had a 125 Husqvarna at that time. I liked it very much for fast ridings, but tecnical ridings are easier with the 300 2t

Edited by engl

43 minutes ago, intimdatr said:

I think the biggest change is the lack of engine braking, jumping back and forth between a 2t and 4t.  

Im not sure its so much the engine braking that feels strange. I would say its something about the throttle respons and how its reacting when pulling the throttle. Its hard to explain as I dont really know myself ?

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Put down 40 hours or so on the bike and then reevaluate. Seat time helps all.

Absolutley, thats have to be done. To bad first snow started falling 2 days ago.. ? Im just hoping that I get used to how it works and that it feels more natural with time. Probably worrying for no reason. And worst case scenario, I just have to get a 4t too. ?

1 hour ago, engl said:

EIn 2014 I returned to dirtbike riding after some years. Before that I had a 2011 Husqvarna TE310, which was a real good bike.

I rode about 20 diferent bikes. In the end there stood a Sherco 300 f and a Beta RR300.

They were very similar to each other. But big difference to others. So the easy riding of the Sherco I didnt find at an other 4 stroke. (Maybe the CRF450 I liked much, but no estart and wrong gearing for my purpose).

so I took the Sherco at first. But it stalled and didnt start so much times. I stood in the woods, trying to get the engine running and it didnt. Then the estart wheels broke.

the worst thing was, that the importer was not able to seriously try to help me.

than I brought the Sherco back to my dealer and and took the 2014 RR300, standing there.

I still ride this bike with the tx setup. First I needed to learn 2stroke riding after having ridden only 4s for about 15 years. its a real good bike.

but both, the Sherco f and the 300 beta are good and easy to ride bikes, fo me better than many others. On your place I would just keep, what I have!

edith: my son had a 125 Husqvarna at that time. I liked it very much for fast ridings, but tecnical ridings are easier with the 300 2t

Thanks! Well yes, I think I just should give it more hours and learn the thing. Spend the money on suspension instead?

Beta Xtrainer 300 :

Some engine braking but not as much as a 4 stroke ( 2/3 's maybe?? ). Snappier throttle. You can try turning in the power valve if you feel it is opening too early for your riding expectations, and also get a throttle tamer X200 or X400 cam will definitely slow down throttle response, but also inhibit that snappy power delivery off of idle, which can make some obstacles with short run up difficult/impossible. 

I had a throttle tamer in the bike for the first half of this year, but forgot I installed it, I was griping around June something was wrong with my jetting, I couldn't do a simple practical wheelie with out a huge amount of throttle opening?? Slow ass throttle response??  WTF???.  LOL.  I finally remembered the throttle tamer (actually, I was reminded by reading the forum!) so I took it out, and learned to modify my throttle hand instead. Much better now. Simple to loft the front end up a foot at walking speed only half a bike away from ledges.

I do miss firmer engine braking, but only sometimes, I am decently good at modulating the rear brake without locking it up on downhills, and this eliminates the need for engine braking, but I do miss it anyway. I have a Rekluse Radius CX installed on my Xtrainer, and my idle speed is spot on and the clutch installed gap is also adjusted properly for the Rekluse. I have engine braking, such as it is on a 2 stroke. The Rekluse only lets go near idle. I can slow down on a steep descent, and modulate both brakes as needed, no problems. The few times I have actually stalled the engine, I shut the throttle suddenly from over half open, and slammed the rear brake. I guess the Rekluse can't let go fast enough. No big deal.

• Like 1

I've ridden a buddies X trainer many times. Coming off of a counterbalanced husky 300, the X trainer engine vibration stands out. They work really well for knarly crawling over rocks, logs, streams hills, etc. For all out blasting race pace, not so much. The low rpm tractoring is really cool. Learn to short shift and lug it, that's where the traction is and where that bike shines. Ipersonally love the two stroke 300s, sold my four-strokes and now own two 300s.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pomoco said:

I've ridden a buddies X trainer many times. Coming off of a counterbalanced husky 300, the X trainer engine vibration stands out. They work really well for knarly crawling over rocks, logs, streams hills, etc. For all out blasting race pace, not so much. The low rpm tractoring is really cool. Learn to short shift and lug it, that's where the traction is and where that bike shines. Ipersonally love the two stroke 300s, sold my four-strokes and now own two 300s.

Sounds like it’s working as intended then. :ride:

On 11/26/2018 at 10:47 AM, Franken said:

Well, mainly kind of slow technical riding, also a reason I went for the XT. Its just that it feels so strange from what I remebered from how a dirt bike felt from 10 years ago when I had my rmz 250f ? It doesent feel bad, just.. Strange. 

For tight technical riding, the XTrainer is a great choice. Getting used to a 300cc two stroke takes a while. At least ten hours for me, and I road raced two strokes decades ago. It will feel strange at first. And if you try to do high speed fire roads, its going to stay strange. The XT has a suspension that is biased towards tight stuff and a bit of trials. Its not ideal for blasting at 60 with the rear hung out.

• Like 1

seat time, and adjusting the powervalve to get it where you want it. OR, if you want more power out of the bike swap to the gnarly pipe, remove the PV spacer. the XT shines in its linear power delivery in stock form, and lots of it down low. None of the 250 4T stuff I have ever ridden compares. I used to think 4T engine braking was a benefit. Now I don't like it at all. I found I was faster on steep descents with the clutch pulled in and modulated front and rear brakes. way more control and tracking than letting the rear tire drag over loose terrain. 

• Like 1

Short shifting will help quite a bit in making the bike feel more 4t like, and is where the motor likes to be anyway. One thing not mentioned is the short wheel base, This definitely makes the bike feel different than anything else you've ridden. Great for tight trails, not so much for high speed. We've got an XT, and love it. Swapping between it and my 450R requires just minor adjustments in style, but nothing major.

• Like 2