Sign in to follow this  

1983-87 XR500/600 eBay NOS/Aftermarket - Cam Shaft

Hey all..  old user here with a lost user name/pass so new account haha.

I need a new camshaft. Mines not torn up, but the hard-facing is starting to go. Ran fine, but  I needed to get into the transmission and figured I'd button some other worn stuff up. . My question is, what's the deal with these NOS Cam Shafts? 

I take it they aren;t from factory. . If I were to use one of these, what else would I need to change in the head? Assuming there is anything more than rockers as well. 

- - - - -

Bonus Question- Could I get a Late (88+) Cam Shaft + 88-94' Rocker Box (Manual Decomp) + Late Cam Chain and Top/Bottom Cam Sproket + Late Cam Bearings??? And run this setup on my 1986' Dual Carb head instead of the old parts route? 

LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Honda-XR600-XR-600-XR600R-1985-1987-Camshaft-Cam-shaft-/113384234008?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

296631989_ScreenShot2018-11-26at1_13_59AM.png.f976410585f45157e35c38936b458220.png

Edited by Cleon Arrey

The xrl cam assembly would also fit on your xr to do the cam cover and chain sprockets conversion  as you said . I was going to do the same conversion only I had bought a 96 "head "and cam cover for my 83 xl 600 motor . All the 96 head and complete cam cover had  1 bad rocker which is ready available as a xrl rocker cause even the 2000 xr parts are obsolete . The xr 650 l cam can be had for under 200 bucks as an assembly. It's complete except the Bearings . I always do assembly cause there are a bunch of little parts on a camthat you have to buy plus you have to put it together. Assembly is a drop right in job . There are always xrl heads and complete rocker covers on eBay .

Hell yeah, thanks for the reply Bob. Sounds about right, Late Cam + Late Rocker Box. I have the Late Cam Sprocket top/bottom and chain already in there so i'll just swap that stuff over as well. . Seems better in the long run to switch as much over to late model parts as I can. 

What about the whole auto-decmop business? Say I can find a 87-96 manual decomp. cover, what route would I go with the auto-decmop heads? is there anything else to consider?

Edited by Cleon Arrey

I have to 1981XL 500 S   Bikes, I am looking for Chuck cables decompression cables and drum brakes.  Does anyone know where I can find these parts for these old dinosaurs?