Babywolf

Riding a dirt bike after knee replacement

I had both done at the same time last October, 3 months later I was on the bike. Of course I couldn't kick start it (cousin did it for me) and I had knee braces on. It hurt but I figured it was good exercise. It took another month or so before I could actually start the bike by myself.

How are you now? When did you feel your healing at finished?

Going ok now, left knee still hurts a bit and pops a lot, my thighs still hurt a bit. Healing for me will take awhile because of my autoimmune disease. Walking around is great, stairs are still slow, riding going good. About 3 months after a lot of the pain was gone, just the lingering pain in the thighs will stay for awhile especially at night, night time was always really bad for me. When your scar is white, it should be healed. For riding, knee braces are a must!!! What's messed up is that I'll have to do it again in 15-20 years, first set was done at 44.
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2019 at 9:42 AM, Ssilver2002 said:
On 2/7/2019 at 8:26 AM, Babywolf said:

Going ok now, left knee still hurts a bit and pops a lot, my thighs still hurt a bit. Healing for me will take awhile because of my autoimmune disease. Walking around is great, stairs are still slow, riding going good. About 3 months after a lot of the pain was gone, just the lingering pain in the thighs will stay for awhile especially at night, night time was always really bad for me. When your scar is white, it should be healed. For riding, knee braces are a must!!! What's messed up is that I'll have to do it again in 15-20 years, first set was done at 44.

I went riding today. No issues aside from being slow. Stairs are still a mild issue but not a big hindrance.

• Like 1

I went riding today. No issues aside from being slow. Stairs are still a mild issue but not a big hindrance.

That sounds good, I am worried about a numb pain throughout my lower leg, notified doctor, not sure what outcome will be, at nine weeks out I was expecting better pain results, seems like poor circulation caused pain but only response so far is time and exercise even though my movement is considered good. Was hoping to feel like riding, but just don’t with pain full time.

That sounds good, I am worried about a numb pain throughout my lower leg, notified doctor, not sure what outcome will be, at nine weeks out I was expecting better pain results, seems like poor circulation caused pain but only response so far is time and exercise even though my movement is considered good. Was hoping to feel like riding, but just don’t with pain full time.
I'm still numb in places, remember when the cut you, they cut everything, nerves, tendons, muscles. It takes time to heal, dont freak out, I know I did.

My concern is with the tourniquet they used above my knee to do a “bloodless” operation, heavy bruising there and at ankle. Hey, it’s nine weeks out and some folks are saying pain ended much earlier and my knee joint seems fine.

I am 63,had a heartattack at 55,right hip replacement at 61,left knee replacement atat 62 followed by a pacemaker -defibulator and still ride 3 times a week. Just keep your feet on the pegs more and be careful when you do dab. Mind over matter. 

• Like 2

I don't know much but it seems like the tourniquet caused as much discomfort as the surgery.  Mine was like the charlie horse from hell and that I was fighting that mostly through rehab. If you had prior knee like ACLs that can make recovery harder. This is from 3 people I know that had worse knees than mine. My PT was great at knowing how far  and how to push me. The manipulation was the most painful. My PT was 5'4", 140 lbs and made my palms sweat just walking up to me on the table. I'm 6'1" 260. I would laugh about it with other people at PT.

• Like 1

My concern is with the tourniquet they used above my knee to do a “bloodless” operation, heavy bruising there and at ankle. Hey, it’s nine weeks out and some folks are saying pain ended much earlier and my knee joint seems fine.

Damn, you got me on that one...

Damn, you got me on that one...

Dr seeing me tomorrow so stay tuned, I’m ok to wait it out if all checks good, just sucks it is taking longer than expected and pain is greater than expected, I might could ride some now but couple more weeks won’t hurt me either if more healing is called for.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Babywolf said:

Dr seeing me tomorrow so stay tuned, I’m ok to wait it out if all checks good, just sucks it is taking longer than expected and pain is greater than expected, I might could ride some now but couple more weeks won’t hurt me either if more healing is called for.

I would say don't rush it. I feel like I had some good mojo during my recovery. My PT was really pleased with my progress. He kept saying I was ahead of the game. I have a friend that had hers done and doesn't really remember the first 2 weeks after recovery from the pain and meds, after that she was able to hit her PT hard.  I had a co-worker that got both knees done a year apart. The first one was a piece of cake, golfing in 6 weeks, couldn't wait to get the other one done. The other knee was pure hell, had him hating life for 6 months and slogging through PT. Hang in there, everybody's story and recovery will be different.  Keep in mind, most doctors and other medical professionals have a negative knee jerk reaction to dirt bikes and racing.

• Like 2

My knee surgeon has no issue with motorcycle riders. He says "They are some of my best customers!"

• Like 3

Well I’m feeling better about it if nothing else, it does appear that every knee reacts differently and it is hard to apply standards to things like pain and healing. My problems really took off after I stopped pain meds and was still pushing my PT pretty hard, pain was bad but backing off PT helped reduce pain, gotta be a better balance I guess, now will see what dr says

My PT said to let pain be your guide. But that didn't seem to apply when she was working with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dyno_dave said:

My PT said to let pain be your guide. But that didn't seem to apply when she was working with me.

They don't call them physical terrorists for nothing. Some don't feel like they've done their jobs until they see tears.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babywolf said:

Well I’m feeling better about it if nothing else, it does appear that every knee reacts differently and it is hard to apply standards to things like pain and healing. My problems really took off after I stopped pain meds and was still pushing my PT pretty hard, pain was bad but backing off PT helped reduce pain, gotta be a better balance I guess, now will see what dr says

I got to where I only used the heavy duty stuff a half hour before PT and then lots of ice after. Tylenol and motrin kept it in check after a while.

I am 63,had a heartattack at 55,right hip replacement at 61,left knee replacement atat 62 followed by a pacemaker -defibulator and still ride 3 times a week. Just keep your feet on the pegs more and be careful when you do dab. Mind over matter.  Life is short. Do what pleases you. Just be reasonable, be careful and enjoy the ride.

Well I did ride my woods modded 2007 CRF450R after swaping to 12t front, loved it, a little tough getting started due to sitting but once running, it was like heaven. I sure do love ridding dirt bikes! The hell with knee

Had my left one done and rode trails after 3 moths. However, even after 2 years I have a bit on a mental block, and  ride more cautiously when putting my leg out, going on deep ruts, or worried of a big crash, because efing up a replaced knee would be a major disaster. :excuseme:

Edited by Dirtbug26
  • Like 1

Had my left one done and rode trails after 3 moths. However, even after 2 years I have a bit on a mental block, and  ride more cautiously when putting my leg out, going on deep ruts, or worried of a big crash, because efing up a replaced knee would be a major disaster. :excuseme:

Yes, I would agree, luckily for me the last 30 yrs of riding without my ACL taught me a few tricks, always ride feet on pegs, no dabbing, if you fall ride the bike down to ground and avoid high siding. Wear full knee braces both legs and yes ride to protect weak leg, it pays in the end. Most of my injuries stopped as caution and ridding style changed. Oh and for the most part no real mx just play ride tracks.