Sign in to follow this  

FCR float bowl level check?

Is there anyway to do a fuel height test with the FCR?

I'm guess the answer is NO because there isn't a drain at the bottom of the float bowl but I thought I'd ask just in case there was a method.

I think mine is tad high so I guess I've got suck it up and take the carb off the bike, such a fun job that one..  yes I do loosen the rear-subframe...

still sucks. 😢

There are various models of the FCR carb.  If yours does not have a drain screw, then yes I know of no way to check the wet fuel level in the carb with the carb in place.

I take the carb off and measure the float height.  I have FCR MX w/ RD Powerbowl - no drain. I'm at about 9.5mm float height.  What makes you want to measure?

Edited by Sasha Rudolfski

58 minutes ago, Sasha Rudolfski said:

What makes you want to measure?

I have been noticing that the overflow is wet often. Even if the bike is sat on the side stand (but on a chock of wood so almost level), I turn on the petcock and soon after the overflow pipe will look wet at the end.

Was out riding yesterday and whilst going up a hill (just on a smooth highway) and at a small throttle opening (say 15% throttle) the engine started to miss & surge, then let out a loud exhaust pop and then ran fine. This in all likelihood was just card icing as it was cold but it also could be due to high float bowl level I think.

Eitherway I think I'm gonna pull the carb and take a look. The bike hasn't run since the start of July so a clean out might be wise.

Yeh, that would do it.

It's done now (but not tested). I removed it last night, set the height at 9mm and have shoe horned it back in there again.

Just need to lube the cables and clean the throttle tube (for that smooth silky feel), and do a valve clearance check whilst I'm in there, and she'll be ready to roll again.

• Like 1