Sign in to follow this  

yz125 good trail/enduro bike?

so lately ive been seeing loads of YZ125 for sale for very cheap!! I was wondering how these guys perform on single track/double track climbs and technical stuff like rock and climbs with logs / ruts / rocks etc. no i wont be doing grahm jarvis stuff haha although I wish!!! 

ive read somewhere that yz125 are tiring on trail riding and require a lot of work....not sure how if these things weigh 200 lbs

It depends on what your definition of technical is, your skill level, and how much you weigh. There's essentially no low end torque, then a huge hit when it comes on the pipe. The suspension is very firm, so you'll be ricocheting off of rocks until you get it revalved. They stall easily, and are geared quite high. All of this can be addressed, and it can be made to be very effective. But out of the box they're not ideal unless your trails look like a MX track.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nobade said:

It depends on what your definition of technical is, your skill level, and how much you weigh. There's essentially no low end torque, then a huge hit when it comes on the pipe. The suspension is very firm, so you'll be ricocheting off of rocks until you get it revalved. They stall easily, and are geared quite high. All of this can be addressed, and it can be made to be very effective. But out of the box they're not ideal unless your trails look like a MX track.

oh darn i think that answered my question on the low end torque. I weigh about 230lbs with gear. so i think the firm suspension might be good. technical would be like 4 - 7 inch rock climbs stacked maybe even some 1 foot drop. nothing crazy like 4 feet rock lol.

I just saw the price and was like woah!! certain trails are like MX tracks in Colorado haha!! but since you mentioned they stall easy, prob not what im looking for :( although my klx250 stalls pretty easy when im riding slow

YZ250 probably would be a better place to start given your size and altitude if you're in CO. They have way more torque and are much easier to turn into a trail bike. Plus the steel framed ones are nicer riding and can be bought for less than the aluminum frame models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willc86 said:

oh darn i think that answered my question on the low end torque. I weigh about 230lbs with gear. so i think the firm suspension might be good. technical would be like 4 - 7 inch rock climbs stacked maybe even some 1 foot drop. nothing crazy like 4 feet rock lol.

I just saw the price and was like woah!! certain trails are like MX tracks in Colorado haha!! but since you mentioned they stall easy, prob not what im looking for :( although my klx250 stalls pretty easy when im riding slow

What's the pricing? Too lazy to look on craigslist.

I have two; a 1997 and a 2001.  I revalved both sets of forks for off-road and shortened them about 3/4" - I'm 5'10" and for woods stuff I like to be able to dab.  The shocks are great stock.  The '97 has a 36mm carb and has good low end, with a strong rev-out.  With these bikes you just need to learn technique to raise the front at low speeds...trials style.   The 2001 was horrible in the tight hill trails if you had to stop and go up a hill from a dead stop - the 38mm carb on it just wouldn't let the engine start to pull - so I put a keihin 35mm carb on it and it does much better.  Both are geared down and have FMF pipes and spark arrestors,  V3 reeds, kickstands.  They are an absolute blast and don't beat you up like a larger bike...you just have to choose your lines carefully and they'll do it all within reason.  You can change lines in an instant.  I agree that it is much easier to ride a larger displacement bike if you're not too experienced.

Edited by kawagumby
  • Like 1