Sign in to follow this  

350 EXC-F - Newbie - Sprocket Ratio

Picked up a used '14 350 EXC-F.  First dirt bike I have had in 30+ years....last one was a '82 YZ80.  Have been riding street bikes for the past few decades but have never veered from stock setups.

The '14 came stock with 14/45 sprockets, which seems fine for the road, but I would like it to have a bit more pop down low.  A lot of people tout the 14/52 setup.  According to a gear ratio table, a 13/48 gives you almost the same ratio, but I think would allow me to use my stock chain.  

Sprocket Combo - Ratio

14/45 - 3.21

14/52 - 3.72

13/48 - 3.69

Does it matter how I get to a target ratio?

Thanks!!

As a casual rider you wouldn't notice any difference.  When you replace everything, a larger front sprocket would be nicer to your chain (slightly longer service life) since it doesn't have to bend as tight, but if I were in your shoes I would go the 13T too if that allows you keep your existing chain.  

The xcfw came stock with a 13 on front. 13-52 was the gearing if I remember correctly. Great gearing for trails but way too short for serious road work. I would not hesitate to run a 13 instead of the 14.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 4strokeridertt said:

Id leave the stock 14 on and pickup a new 52 or 50 and new chain.

Can you help me understand why?  

Adding a new chain and chain breaker would be more money and work than just changing both sprockets.  Just wanting to learn your reasoning.

I like a 14 on the front. They wear a little bit better and changing out a KTM front involves a new cup washer if you do it right.

Running a 13 and the stock chain means your wheel is going to be forward in the swingarm, I like mine back for a longer wheelbase.

All the options work. Anything to get that 45 off the bike is a good move Currently I run a 14/48 on my 500exc. We run a fair amount of tight singletrack and if I did not have a Rekluse clutch I would be inclined to maybe run at least a 50 and maybe a 52. Running a 48 I know I would stall more than I wanted to.

3 minutes ago, 4strokeridertt said:

I like a 14 on the front. They wear a little bit better and changing out a KTM front involves a new cup washer if you do it right.

Running a 13 and the stock chain means your wheel is going to be forward in the swingarm, I like mine back for a longer wheelbase.

All the options work. Anything to get that 45 off the bike is a good move Currently I run a 14/48 on my 500exc. We run a fair amount of tight singletrack and if I did not have a Rekluse clutch I would be inclined to maybe run at least a 50 and maybe a 52. Running a 48 I know I would stall more than I wanted to.

Installing a smaller sprocket should require moving the wheel back, not forward, no?

Indeed...I thought you were saying just the front sprocket. 

Carry on. 

My ‘18 350 has 14/52...I’m considering the 13...but I ride 95% off-road. Not much street duty other than transferring from one spot to another. 

Some of the tall gearing listed above seems crazy unless it’s for mostly street use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammy-56 said:

My ‘18 350 has 14/52...I’m considering the 13...but I ride 95% off-road. Not much street duty other than transferring from one spot to another. 

Some of the tall gearing listed above seems crazy unless it’s for mostly street use. 

I was about to say this. I can't imagine anything lower than 14/52, I think I'm going to jump to a 13 as well. 

• Like 1

If your serious about technical single track riding go with the xcf-w setup. 13/50. If you do it correctly this will also cost you a new chain that is slightly longer so the rear wheel stays in the correct position in the swing arm. I have a 2016 Ktm 350excf. Bike is perfect for this type of riding

13 hours ago, 4strokeridertt said:

no you don't need a new crush washer swap all the time 13-50 single track 14-50 for desert works great.

Not too much technical single track here in SE Wisconsin.  Mostly running farm fields, gullies, and some woods.  

Any recommendation on middle of the road sprocket and chain brands?  Don't need the best, but want to avoid the junk

13 hours ago, hyperlitebitt said:

If your serious about technical single track riding go with the xcf-w setup. 13/50. If you do it correctly this will also cost you a new chain that is slightly longer so the rear wheel stays in the correct position in the swing arm. I have a 2016 Ktm 350excf. Bike is perfect for this type of riding

Both sprockets are smaller so I'd think it's a smaller chain. Break the chain, take out a couple links, back together with a new master link correct?

Just looked up final drive on 2016 350 xcf-w. It's 13:52

Edited by Clack

Both sprockets are smaller so I'd think it's a smaller chain. Break the chain, take out a couple links, back together with a new master link correct?
Just looked up final drive on 2016 350 xcf-w. It's 13:52

The stock gears are 14:45. Only the front sprocket is smaller on the 13:50. The rear 50 is larger than the stock so if you want your rear wheel to be in the stock position of the swing arm then you will need to buy a longer chain. I know this for sure because I had to do this on my 2016 excf. I thought the xcfw was 13:50 as well stock but I can’t be 100 percent certain anymore. Either way 13:50 is a great setup for single track riding. The 13:52 setup would be be too low in my opinion. The 350 has more than enough grunt to handle the 50 rear. Bear in mind that I have also done a complete smog delete, euro map installed, and map selector switch set to aggressive. Hope this helps.

13 minutes ago, hyperlitebitt said:

The stock gears are 14:45. Only the front sprocket is smaller on the 13:50. The rear 50 is larger than the stock so if you want your rear wheel to be in the stock position of the swing arm then you will need to buy a longer chain. I know this for sure because I had to do this on my 2016 excf. I thought the xcfw was 13:50 as well stock but I can’t be 100 percent certain anymore. Either way 13:50 is a great setup for single track riding. The 13:52 setup would be be too low in my opinion. The 350 has more than enough grunt to handle the 50 rear. Bear in mind that I have also done a complete smog delete, euro map installed, and map selector switch set to aggressive. Hope this helps.

I'm desmogged and vortexed as well. These are the 2016 350 specs. Six Days and all XCF-W are all 13:52. Same transmission ratios as 2018. Maybe 14:45 is for the 500.

2016.jpg