Campershell trail

Not sure of the trail name but a sweet route between El Rosario to Catavina via 2T and then ST.  Took it S to N last year.  Had to do a re-route when we were trying to head to the ocean and 2 caballeros said no trespasar.  I have the file at home with the re-route...we never did get to the ocean, instead popped out on 1 just east of El Rosario

10 hours ago, MX813 said:

Not sure of the trail name but a sweet route between El Rosario to Catavina via 2T and then ST.  Took it S to N last year.  Had to do a re-route when we were trying to head to the ocean and 2 caballeros said no trespasar.  I have the file at home with the re-route...we never did get to the ocean, instead popped out on 1 just east of El Rosario

I'll take it if you are willing to share. I will PM you my email

12 hours ago, climberevan said:

That's the Bill Nichols trail. It's good but getting a little hacked thanks to the (bastards) tour groups, who have also flagged the intersections.

I thought it was fun...didn't see any flagging at intersections.  Did see a weird billboard proclaiming "Meth Labs...5KM"

• Like 1

I'm so glad I got to ride a lot of this stuff a long time ago when it was relatively fresh. Last year when we rode the Bill Nickols after Santa Caterina on the way to Catavina we saw a couple of guys working on new fences. Anyone know if you can still ride from Santa Caterina to Catavina. The route I'm talking about is less than a half a mile south of Santa Caterina.

Thanks Mike

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, climberevan said:

That's the Bill Nichols trail. It's good but getting a little hacked thanks to the (bastards) tour groups, who have also flagged the intersections.

That's an odd comment.

I don't know of any "tour groups" that flag anything.  Most "tour groups" know where they want to go and have ways to keep the group together on the correct path.  That being said, the "tour groups" typically don't ride remote trails, they ride common known stuff.

But those of us that do ride good stuff know what's up and some of us really try to keep trail heads stealth.  No way does @bajatrailrider mark anything, he keeps his private stash on the down low.  Chilly doesn't need to mark stuff.  Those guys also make trials.   Me, I've been riding Baja all my life, I've made tons of trails, I respectfully use trails others have made, I can't spell GSP and I don'ty allow people to carry a PGS.   We can often cut into a trail head away from the trail to keep it less traveled, and we still go back to sweep out our tire marks. 

What jacks-up the trails are guys trying to race each other on them, cutting turns (what good is a straight line single track?), being too agressive.  Hell, when I have customers who aren't respecting the Baja trails it's very easy for me to stay on common stuff.  The clients will still have a total blast because Baja is awesome and they don't know there's other trails out there.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, satmike said:

I'm so glad I got to ride a lot of this stuff a long time ago when it was relatively fresh.

Yep.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, BajaBoundMoto said:

That's an odd comment.

I don't know of any "tour groups" that flag anything.  Most "tour groups" know where they want to go and have ways to keep the group together on the correct path.  That being said, the "tour groups" typically don't ride remote trails, they ride common known stuff.

But those of us that do ride good stuff know what's up and some of us really try to keep trail heads stealth.  No way does @bajatrailrider mark anything, he keeps his private stash on the down low.  Chilly doesn't need to mark stuff.  Those guys also make trials.   Me, I've been riding Baja all my life, I've made tons of trails, I respectfully use trails others have made, I can't spell GSP and I don'ty allow people to carry a PGS.   We can often cut into a trail head away from the trail to keep it less traveled, and we still go back to sweep out our tire marks. 

What jacks-up the trails are guys trying to race each other on them, cutting turns (what good is a straight line single track?), being too agressive.  Hell, when I have customers who aren't respecting the Baja trails it's very easy for me to stay on common stuff.  The clients will still have a total blast because Baja is awesome and they don't know there's other trails out there.

Yep.

When I rode this trail last year, it was an absolute blast going N by NW from Catavina.  Didn't see any flaggings anywhere.

I don't have any concrete evidence that tour groups left the marking I saw...so my comment was probably off base. I stand corrected.

My complaint with them is that in my experience they take riders who are perhaps sometimes less skilled, and who then spin their wheels and otherwise tear up trails through fragile environments. Those riders wouldn't be able go to those places on their own, so it's just increasing the use. I've seen this in our local areas as well. 

Thanks to those who build and care for trails, wherever they are!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, climberevan said:

Last time I did Nichols Trail North to South. few  years back . New fence on rt side of dirt road blocking the way to trail. We backed up on road till no more fence found a way to start trail. Wonder now ?