Sign in to follow this  

Sub Frame lower rails bolts/position

Quick question. This is my third YZ250. The one in question is an 18’250x. I noticed when removing the two 12mm bolts from the lower rails on each side; there is a fair amount of play. So when reinstalling these two bolts I have to hold the sub frame rails centered so it threads easily. Should I tighten in this position or when finger tight let the rails slide down a couple mm’s then torque? Probably doesn’t make a bit of difference, but I didn’t notice on my previous YZ’s. Thanks

Never cared. Subs are the same from 02 up, and I've always just slid them in, wiggled to get the bolt started, and then to the other side, and top. Then tighten them all to spec and forget about it. 

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC

Never cared. Subs are the same from 02 up, and I've always just slid them in, wiggled to get the bolt started, and then to the other side, and top. Then tighten tham all to spec and forget about it. 

Figured as much. Thanks Doc!
I’m gonna use my hand torque wrench on the two lower ones and use a bit of anti-seize. Hate tightening to 21 ft.lbs into the main frame...just seems damn tight [emoji15]
  • Like 2

Figured as much. Thanks Doc!
I’m gonna use my hand torque wrench on the two lower ones and use a bit of anti-seize. Hate tightening to 21 ft.lbs into the main frame...just seems damn tight [emoji15]

I always just tighten them by hand to what feels adequate. I don’t bother torquing them. I pull my sub frame off a lot and have never had an issue. KTM sub frames on the other hand..........
  • Like 1