Sign in to follow this  

Do I need new tires?

My Crf250r came with these tyres the rears a Dunlop mx51 and apparently according to the bike shop there 6 years old. Shows how little the bike has been ridden.

its summer here in Australia so tracks can be very dry and very wet. Would you recommend new tyres?

i only ride bush atm 

D2835A7F-A4B1-4181-B959-15C7500B9AAB.jpeg

686290AA-B12F-4CE6-A311-A12ADC0395C9.jpeg

30D10265-334B-414A-915D-8C7B205A0F80.jpeg

25781EC9-7328-4977-B0C0-F9409704539D.jpeg

5B30395E-A23B-4ABA-B270-FADBB28C30DF.jpeg

Edited by HairyTrails
  • Like 1

A tire can be due to replace way before the knobs have worn down.

You can probably get some more riding out of the rear tire but

the cracks at the base of the side knobs on the front tire shows it's way past it's prime,

allowing the knobs to flex more and possibly washing out on you (from my experiences)

• Like 3

Replace them, old rubber does not perform as well. At least replace the front for more predictable handling.

• Like 1

There is a date code stamped into the sidewall of the tire. By look, they look "OK", not great but useable. But if they are six years old, throw them away.

I measure the depth of knobs when I first get a tire, and replace it when its about 50% used up. Usually, even I can notice decreased traction and poor cornering a bit before they measure as worn out. I find tire wear to be a tiny part of the normal maintenance of a dirt bike, so I change them without doing a lot of analysis. Getting an extra month on a $80 tire is simply not worth it to me. YMMV

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

That front tire is ready for the trash bin.

• Like 4

I would use them on forest service roads till they are 1/8 inch nobs on the rear, 1/4 on front. But in the Outback all alone . . . hmm.

Edited by Deb Tatum
  • Like 1

The rubber has deteriorated over the last 6 years. I would expect to see them chunk off.

• Like 1

6 years, hmm I took my old xr out for a ride last month, still on the OEM IRC VE33's that came on it back in 1990! And yes, new rubber will be put on before any sort of "real" ride as they are hardened up and slick on anything- even concrete

To answer your question, get a new front- rounded knobs suck up front- id run the rear as they don't last long anyway

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, HairyTrails said:

My Crf250r came with these tyres the rears a Dunlop mx51 and apparently according to the bike shop there 6 years old. Shows how little the bike has been ridden.

its summer here in Australia so tracks can be very dry and very wet. Would you recommend new tyres?

i only ride bush atm 

D2835A7F-A4B1-4181-B959-15C7500B9AAB.jpeg

686290AA-B12F-4CE6-A311-A12ADC0395C9.jpeg

30D10265-334B-414A-915D-8C7B205A0F80.jpeg

25781EC9-7328-4977-B0C0-F9409704539D.jpeg

5B30395E-A23B-4ABA-B270-FADBB28C30DF.jpeg

I would replace the front tire and you will get a bit longer out of the rear if you turn it around :)

As a general reply YES YES YES, nothing like a set of freshies.

A more pragmatic approach is to just keep them and run them out.  Your riding bush "very different meaning in USA" and any tire that still holds air will get you down the trail.

Ok so I’m going to replace them, can anyone recommend tyres? The tracks I ride are mostly hard clay. I’d also like 110/90-19 tires will these fit?

2 hours ago, HairyTrails said:

Ok so I’m going to replace them, can anyone recommend tyres? The tracks I ride are mostly hard clay. I’d also like 110/90-19 tires will these fit?

Ok it’s more important to know what kind of tires that work well where you ride. Getting recommendations from us can and also may not work well. Got more info than just hard clay? What do guys use riding where you ride? 

I know that for me where I ride lots of recommendations of tires from people abroad online don’t work. I have ended up just buying different tires and trying myself and or getting feedback from certain fellow riders on what tires they use.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Nah man those are still good. They still have the coloured lines and the fin thing in between the knobbies.  You're good for at least another year. If they've hardened up, that's a good thing. They'll dig in better now. :prof:

I would run them until the knobs start breaking off.  Small knobs on the front like those bite really well in dirt.  You could reverse the rear for a little more bite.  I bought a bike with some old Dunlop’s that were like new and replaced them only because I wanted specific tires for my style of riding.