Sign in to follow this  

Best YZ250 model years?

The TT Search tool is your friend.

Edited by CaptDan
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Even if there was a 'fastest engine year'

if the 10+ year old suspension components are in need of a refurb

you're not going to be going fast off-road with pogo-stick-like suspension.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:

+1 for 04. Steely frames rule. 99-04 steelies have the same engine as a 2018 so parts are no worry. If you're mx rider, you may want an 06+ but woods guys like the steel flex.

Always hear steel better for woods. Raced 2 brandnew aluminum frame ones before going to 450. Now have 04 steel one only ride mx i cant tell difference feels just like aluminum frame ones i dont get it lol of well

• Like 2

My sons 02 (of course I built it) is faster than his friends 06. Seat of the pants test by 06 owner, and early in a drag race (driver error). 

02-04, 04 being the best steel. Woods, trail, desert.

06 up Aluminum MX. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

My sons 02 (of course I built it) is faster than his friends 06. Seat of the pants test by 06 owner, and early in a drag race (driver error). 

02-04, 04 being the best steel. Woods, trail, desert.

06 up Aluminum MX. 

But the steel frame ones were very good a d popular for mx. I just dont get why everyone thinks different.  If you can tell difference and feel frames flexing than guess you're better mx racer than i lol ? only difference i can tell between 04 have now a d my last 09 race bike is 09 has better front brakes.  But the 04s are good enough.  Other than that feels same even suspension with same spring rates. Maybe i just dont pay attention to little stuff idk 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

But the steel frame ones were very good a d popular for mx. I just dont get why everyone thinks different.  If you can tell difference and feel frames flexing than guess you're better mx racer than i lol ? only difference i can tell between 04 have now a d my last 09 race bike is 09 has better front brakes.  But the 04s are good enough.  Other than that feels same even suspension with same spring rates. Maybe i just dont pay attention to little stuff idk 

You know there is no way in the world I can/could tell the diff. 

I just go off what everyone "thinks". :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

But the steel frame ones were very good a d popular for mx. I just dont get why everyone thinks different.  If you can tell difference and feel frames flexing than guess you're better mx racer than i lol [emoji16] only difference i can tell between 04 have now a d my last 09 race bike is 09 has better front brakes.  But the 04s are good enough.  Other than that feels same even suspension with same spring rates. Maybe i just dont pay attention to little stuff idk 
I can't tell the difference on a track, it's pretty obvious in the woods though.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
12 minutes ago, Motox367 said:
But the steel frame ones were very good a d popular for mx. I just dont get why everyone thinks different.  If you can tell difference and feel frames flexing than guess you're better mx racer than i lol emoji16.png only difference i can tell between 04 have now a d my last 09 race bike is 09 has better front brakes.  But the 04s are good enough.  Other than that feels same even suspension with same spring rates. Maybe i just dont pay attention to little stuff idk 

Read more  

I can't tell the difference on a track, it's pretty obvious in the woods though.

How so ? Its still a 250 twostroke lol idk my problem is had a stupid 450 messed everything up in between lol ill have to try back to back this next year on track . I do know 04 carves a nice inside rutt

I'll never go back to a steel frame in the woods. It's all about engine and suspension anyway. Too many things I like more about the aluminum but I never argue...until now ha ha Ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 2 STROKE YZ DOC said:

You know there is no way in the world I can/could tell the diff. 

I just go off what everyone "thinks". :doh:

Ik thats what everyone thinks but are they even good enough to really tell  ?? that is the question ?

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

I'll never go back to a steel frame in the woods. It's all about engine and suspension really. Too many things I like more about the aluminum but I never argue...until now ha ha Ha

if we switched out frames without you knowing would you be able to tell difference?? for woods why would frame matter . Kant Take Much's still use steel and they pretty much rule the woods

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

if we switched out frames without you knowing would you be able to tell difference?? for woods why would frame matter . Kant Take Much's still use steel and they pretty much rule the woods

Probably not, I don't know. Big part of it is probably the newerness factor, less clapped out in general. Probably didn't have my Steeley's set up as well as my last bikes but the aluminum just feels sharper and more consistent. you can push them very hard with no weirdness. I don't know! I always just smile when I hear everyone claim that steel is the only way to go in the woods ha ha
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

Probably not, I don't know. Big part of it is probably the newerness factor, less clapped out in general. Probably didn't have my Steeley's set up as well as my last bikes but the aluminum just feels sharper and more consistent. you can push them very hard with no weirdness. I don't know! I always just smile when I hear everyone claim that steel is the only way to go in the woods ha ha

Im with ya bro lol and totally agree. Big difference between tight and clapped out 

• Like 1

If we're talking current gen aluminium frame bikes that would depend on where you are.  But the 2006 thru 2010 was the last of the u.s. spec models that had slightly higher compression head and stiffer suspension stock. Better jetting better silencer and no idle gear position sensor on the left center case.

• Like 2

I use to ride Steel frame YZ's in the desert.  6'4" 235lbs 60 mph through some nasty whoops those things would be all over the place.  Much prefer the aluminum if the suspension is set up correctly.  Slower speed in the woods or if I was a bit lighter maybe I would like the steel more.

10 minutes ago, mikedabike said:

I use to ride Steel frame YZ's in the desert.  6'4" 235lbs 60 mph through some nasty whoops those things would be all over the place.  Much prefer the aluminum if the suspension is set up correctly.  Slower speed in the woods or if I was a bit lighter maybe I would like the steel more.

4-5lbs +- between steel and aluminum. I don't think weight is the issue, it's 100% suspension and set up.

All KTM's, Husky, Gasgas and Betas must suck as 2 strokes, they are still steel. 

Just saying..

• Like 2