Sign in to follow this  

JETTING AFTER NEW TOP END

I've had this 2006 125 KTM for about 7 years, it was like new when I bought it.  The kids mom said she thought he was scared of it, I got a good deal.  I recently had it leaned over against the wall of my shop and I think it must have upset the float and flooded the bottom end.  I noticed when I kicked it over that it seemed hard to kick.  When it started it was blowing brown smoke. So I figured I blew out the main seals.  I didn't want to work on it myself so I took it to a local shop and had them replace the seals and do a top end.  The bike still had the stock original piston in it.  I elected to use a double ring piston instead of the stock single ring piston because I ride single track and thought it might help low end.  Got it back and it runs like crap, top end isn't bad but low and mid are lacking power.  If I give it to much throttle coming out of a corner it will fall on its face and almost die.  My question is, would the new top end increase the compression enough to require new jetting? and if so would it richen or lean it.  I'm  just looking for a starting point.  Thanks for any advice (good) 

If it previously ran fine on the same jetting specs, (even if it was long ago) it is not jetting related.

Was the carburetor ever cleaned and overhauled? Perhaps some partially blocked jets and passageways.

With decent top end but lack bottom end, I'd first confirm the power valve is assembled and functioning correctly.

Worn / damaged reeds may also contribute to this problem.

Thanks Mlatour,   It always ran a little rich but performed well, so I just left it like that.  The mechanic said he cleaned the power valve, would that change it's settings?? Maybe I need to adjust it (power valve). I remember playing with it when I first got the bike, it really changed the characteristics of the power band but I don't remember it running quite like this, but kinda similar I guess, so maybe I should play with that.

I won't go into why I'm not just going back to the mechanic that worked on it, I could but would prefer to try on my own before doing that. THANKS

• Like 1