Does it seem like the value of modern four strokes especially has decreased to anyone else? I had the plan of selling my 2014 YZ450F to purchase a YZ250 two stroke and have some extra cash leftover, but it seems like I can’t even sell my bike for what a YZ250 is going for! A few years back, I saved up $3,500 to purchase a 4+ year old 250F, and it was a struggle to find one. Now, I’m asking $3,800 OBO for my 450 and can’t seem to get a single reasonable offer. And today I saw a 2015 listed for $1,000 less and not a single comment of interest on it! Meanwhile, I’m seeing YZ250s with over a decade old technology listed for over $3,500, and these range anywhere from a 2005 to a 2014. What the hell happened that made these bikes with obsolete technology worth more than a modern four stroke?!

• Like 3

I'd rather be on an old-ish 2smoke than a brand new 4stroke. Sorry, if we only want a 2stroke, we might pay more for it than a comparable 4-stroke. Also, "technology" usually means jack-shit on a dirt bike. I'd seriously pay a solid $5-6K for a "refreshed" 2stroke 1998 or later. 4strokes got way too common ever since companies such as honda, suzuki & Kawasaki stopped producing (adult) 2 strokes. It's the market, along with supply & demand. Sometimes people just list a price higher than they should. There are decent $2K YZ's floating around, depending on the area. Location plays a big factor on "worth". Value is what most people will pay for something anyways. Also, in CA at least there's the whole red/green sticker thing so 02 & earlier bikes will have more worth than an 03.

Edited by Distrophe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Distrophe said:

I'd rather be on an old-ish 2smoke than a brand new 4stroke. Sorry, if we only want a 2stroke, we might pay more for it than a comparable 4-stroke. Also, "technology" usually means jack-shit on a dirt bike. I'd seriously pay a solid $5-6K for a "refreshed" 2stroke 1998 or later. 4strokes got way too common ever since companies such as honda, suzuki & Kawasaki stopped producing (adult) 2 strokes. It's the market, along with supply & demand. Sometimes people just list a price higher than they should. There are decent $2K YZ's floating around, depending on the area. Location plays a big factor on "worth". Value is what most people will pay for something anyways. Also, in CA at least there's the whole red/green sticker thing so 02 & earlier bikes will have more worth than an 03.

I would have to disagree that technology doesn’t mean anything on a dirt bike. Everything from updated suspension, frame geometry, and motor performance can be attributed to updated technology. It’s no secret that the YZs are dated at this point when KTM continues to make advancements. I’m more interested in finding out what the cause for the recent market shift is. A couple years ago, people were paying out the ass for four strokes and didn’t want anything to do with two strokes it seemed like. Now it’s done a complete 180. But what has changed? Four strokes have been the main bike for every manufacturer for over a decade. Why the recent shift back to two strokes on the resale market just now?

• Helpful 1

15 minutes ago, onealmxwilson said:

I would have to disagree that technology doesn’t mean anything on a dirt bike. Everything from updated suspension, frame geometry, and motor performance can be attributed to updated technology. It’s no secret that the YZs are dated at this point when KTM continues to make advancements. I’m more interested in finding out what the cause for the recent market shift is. A couple years ago, people were paying out the ass for four strokes and didn’t want anything to do with two strokes it seemed like. Now it’s done a complete 180. But what has changed? Four strokes have been the main bike for every manufacturer for over a decade. Why the recent shift back to two strokes on the resale market just now?

I was too critical of tech advancement w/ my explanation. The YZ250 is light, handles good & it really doesn't seem to lack much in actuality. On single track, most riders would be just as good on a well setup 10 yr old bike as on a '19 ktm or yz250(X). You're right, the latter has not had the same advancements as other brands. Without raising the price much, Yamaha would be smart to give the X model e-start & a hydraulic clutch, etc. Many people will only pay so much for a dirt bike. The '17-18 bikes are a big deal w/ things such as counter-balancing, & TPI is hot-stuff right now.  Many riders can afford newer bikes, which helps the used market when they sell their previous ride. It seems 2strokes have had a much bigger presence outside the US. Seeing a 4stroke during certain hard enduros would be like finding Waldo, lol. Yamaha is all that remains of the "big 4" producing 2 strokes, but now we have around 1/2 dozen companies w/ 2 strokes. Beta even decided to make a 200 :)

• Like 1

Resale of 4 strokes sucks. Book value of 4 strokes is wayyyy off.

I was plannimg to sell my good condition 14yz450 for around 3800 which seems too low. Trade in is more than that.

Well the dealer wont give close to trade in. And the real street value is 3k for the bike.

• Like 2

Cost and complexity to maintain / repair kills the 'recreational' ownership of 4-strokes to many.

This past season alone I've seen at least 4-5 riders at my regular track that previously had 2-3 year old 250F's switch over to brand new YZ125's

A 125 was no doubt not their first choice when getting into motocross a few years back but,

it has since become the 'logical' choice to continue their hobby on the newest bike possible and, within a certain budget.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Disagree all you want, your bike is a no buy at any price for a lot of people. Because your technology sucks.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

KYB SSS fork is still the go to.... The Xplor fork doesn't get good reviews. WP has done well with the AER fork, but durability is still an unknown.

Disagree all you want, your bike is a no buy at any price for a lot of people. Because your technology sucks.

That’s your opinion. There are many people who also feel the opposite. The previous generation Yamaha four strokes are some of the best bikes I’ve ridden. I’ve owned a 250 and 450, both 2014 and they are amazing, because of their technology. So to me, no it does not suck at all. The only reason I want a two stroke is because I’m not riding as much and could use the extra money (or what I thought would be extra money). Nothing against two strokes, I just prefer the modern fours for motocross. Especially the Yamahas.

9 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

You should go to local mx tracks and see how many out dated yz 250s are kicking ass really.  Ktm have more bling thats all it is when reall comes down to it.

• Like 2

In my experience a ktm 2 stroke 250/300 is by far the highest resale bike. In Ohio I see 2017 450s for 4500 pretty often and 18s for 5 (woods bikes costing more). The yz 250 2 stroke seems to be a odd value holder some price high some low

• Like 1

You should go to local mx tracks and see how many out dated yz 250s are kicking ass really.  Ktm have more bling thats all it is when reall comes down to it.

There really aren’t a whole lot around me. There’s a couple scattered throughout A and B class but almost all of C is still the typical teenager on a newer 250F. Most people who ride a YZ250 either just putt around trails or race woods where I live.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

There really aren’t a whole lot around me. There’s a couple scattered throughout A and B class but almost all of C is still the typical teenager on a newer 250F. Most people who ride a YZ250 either just putt around trails or race woods where I live.

Edit: The more often top-ends of a 125 would suck though, that's a con of a small-bore. Here's some proof that a lowly 125 can sweep the field. Yeah, he's in pro class & the competition on this day might've not been great, so what. Any course w/ not many long straights or wide open areas play into the hands of a light small-bore 2T.

Edited by Distrophe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

.... it seems like I can’t even sell my bike for what a YZ250 is going for! What the hell happened that made these bikes with obsolete technology worth more than a modern four stroke?!

Who you calling obsolete?
More seriously, there aren't many parts in a two stroke. As long as it has a power-valve (1980 technology) and case reed induction (1970s technology) the engines are untouched until the KTM TPI/FI models. Suspensions improve a lot, but modern bike, no matter if 2T or 4T have the same suspensions.

Modern 4T are amazing, huge power, tractable torque. They get it with technology. You rev the engine and all them valves way more than folks would dream of not that long ago. Maintenance costs are high, and service life is short on a 4T.

If you want a bike that holds its value, get a KTM 300 two stroke. But realistically, dirt bikes are just expensive toys, none hold value much. Kinda like fancy cars. In 3 years, you can't get 50% of the purchase price

• Like 4

Who you calling obsolete?
More seriously, there aren't many parts in a two stroke. As long as it has a power-valve (1980 technology) and case reed induction (1970s technology) the engines are untouched until the KTM TPI/FI models. Suspensions improve a lot, but modern bike, no matter if 2T or 4T have the same suspensions.

Modern 4T are amazing, huge power, tractable torque. They get it with technology. You rev the engine and all them valves way more than folks would dream of not that long ago. Maintenance costs are high, and service life is short on a 4T.

If you want a bike that holds its value, get a KTM 300 two stroke. But realistically, dirt bikes are just expensive toys, none hold value much. Kinda like fancy cars. In 3 years, you can't get 50% of the purchase price

I meant obsolete more in the sense of they haven’t been recently developed. I think they’re great bikes. My brother actually has a 2019 exc with TPI. It’s fun but I race Moto. I would be interested in riding a 300sx.

2 minutes ago, onealmxwilson said:

I meant obsolete more in the sense of they haven’t been recently developed. I think they’re great bikes. My brother actually has a 2019 exc with TPI. It’s fun but I race Moto. I would be interested in riding a 300sx.

Better off with 250sx for moto  

14 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

Does it seem like the value of modern four strokes especially has decreased to anyone else? I had the plan of selling my 2014 YZ450F to purchase a YZ250 two stroke and have some extra cash leftover, but it seems like I can’t even sell my bike for what a YZ250 is going for! A few years back, I saved up $3,500 to purchase a 4+ year old 250F, and it was a struggle to find one. Now, I’m asking $3,800 OBO for my 450 and can’t seem to get a single reasonable offer. And today I saw a 2015 listed for $1,000 less and not a single comment of interest on it! Meanwhile, I’m seeing YZ250s with over a decade old technology listed for over $3,500, and these range anywhere from a 2005 to a 2014. What the hell happened that made these bikes with obsolete technology worth more than a modern four stroke?!

PM Sent 

Before going back twostroke i had a 12 yz450. Had 55 hr on it could only get 2300 for it. They're worth shit only reason it sold cause the guy wanted a snow bike and heard yamahas were reliable 450 engines 

The price is about right. I sold my 14 YZ250F this spring for $3900. It only had around 12 track hours though.

A 2005 YZ250 is far from being obsolete. You can put a better rider on a 1995 YZ250 against a lesser rider on a brand new anything and the better rider will still win. That last 25 years of evolution have been nothing like the 25 year before that.

• Like 4