4 Stroke Resale Value?

Last week I bought a 2001 YZ 125 for $1400, two days later sold it for $2500 no questions asked. Pink wasn't even under my name, green sticker was one year expired. Sold 3 other YZ125's for about the same price. Again, I'm 15 lmao

Lol if you can find a buyer for my bike at $5000 I’ll PayPal you $100 no joke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2018 at 10:26 PM, onealmxwilson said:

Does it seem like the value of modern four strokes especially has decreased to anyone else? I had the plan of selling my 2014 YZ450F to purchase a YZ250 two stroke and have some extra cash leftover, but it seems like I can’t even sell my bike for what a YZ250 is going for! A few years back, I saved up $3,500 to purchase a 4+ year old 250F, and it was a struggle to find one. Now, I’m asking $3,800 OBO for my 450 and can’t seem to get a single reasonable offer. And today I saw a 2015 listed for $1,000 less and not a single comment of interest on it! Meanwhile, I’m seeing YZ250s with over a decade old technology listed for over $3,500, and these range anywhere from a 2005 to a 2014. What the hell happened that made these bikes with obsolete technology worth more than a modern four stroke?!

Here in WA State the used bike market is super strong, it REALLY picked up this summer. You literally couldn't find a KTM/Husky for sale at any price. I saw old ktm 525 from like 2006 going for 4500 bucks. 

Perhaps your trouble is that it's late in the fall? 

Here in WA State the used bike market is super strong, it REALLY picked up this summer. You literally couldn't find a KTM/Husky for sale at any price. I saw old ktm 525 from like 2006 going for 4500 bucks. 
Perhaps your trouble is that it's late in the fall? 

I would attribute it to that but I’ve been trying to sell it since summer

19 hours ago, onealmxwilson said:

I would attribute it to that but I’ve been trying to sell it since summer

Cheer up! Your bike will sell and you will lose more money than you'd like, but once it finally leaves your garage you'll have a huge smile on your face. I remember that feeling when my KX250F sold. :banana:

• Like 3

I have not read all the comments but here is the answer.... 2 main reasons that 4 strokes are on the decline.  #1 things are cyclical, when the 4 strokes were getting popular it was because advances in technology, they found out how to get more power out of 4 strokes and how to use that as an advantage in racing, now that everything is aimed at 4 strokes, track design...etc, they are finding advantages again with 2 strokes.... along with technological advances in the motors.  #2 reason is cost.  The 4 stroke repair costs are insane and so is maintenance intervals.  You can ride a 2 stroke till its low on compression if you care for everything else... air filters, clean fuel.  4 strokes need valves shimmed every few hours, timing chains and tensioners to keep them running in top shop.  most of us are sick to f***ing death of wrenching on them!!!!!!  You buy a used one, chances are that work was never done.  People ride them, beat the snot out of them and never service them so you have no clue what you are going to invest in a used machine.  I would say a good rider on a 1997 or newer 2 stroke, is just as competitive as someone on a new bike.

• Like 2

Market saturation is a big factor as there are four strokes a plenty. Really if Honda hadn’t lobbied hard on the back of environmental concerns about two stroke emissions then MX would still be mostly two stokes. Four strokes are certainly not quieter and are still heavier. To the point where the rules were changed to minimum weight limits that handicapped the two strokes. The same thing has happened in world trials where Honda “lobbied” the FIM for a min weight limit so all the two stroke manufacturers have to put weights on their skid plates to compete while a stock trials bike weights significantly less than the “factory” bikes. A lot of politics went into the adoption of four strokes. Maybe people are just not having it anymore.

• Like 4

It's wierd it costs you guys so much to rebuild, a new piston/cylinder for my 450 is cheaper than a 2t replate...

I did a cam chain and billet piston for $200, id rather shim valves than clean a pv! Both need serviced at about the same interval..

$5 oil and fuel filters every once in a while doesn't hurt too much? 2t uses both premix and gear oil... For me owning a 4 stroke costs about the same lol...

Edited by The Creature
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Creature said:

It's wierd it costs you guys so much to rebuild, a new piston/cylinder for my 450 is cheaper than a 2t replate...

I did a cam chain and billet piston for $200, id rather shim valves than clean a pv! Both need serviced at about the same interval..

$5 oil and fuel filters every once in a while doesn't hurt too much? 2t uses both premix and gear oil... For me owning a 4 stroke costs about the same lol...

Not really...  New piston and cylinder for that bike is around $280 together. 

But a normal 2t top end rebuild doesn't require a replate.  Usually you just put a new piston in and you're good to go.  

The biggest difference in cost is when you blow them up, which is something you can count on probably happening at some point if you ride dirtbikes for a long enough length of career.  There are a lot more things to go wrong in a 4t.  Camshaft, cam chain, valves, valve seals, expensive cylinder head, etc.  All of that added shit just so you can have a heavier bike with less power and then be amazed that it is "smooth" or "hooks up"....  Well obviously any time you have more weight and less power it feels smoother and it hooks up better...  If I wanted that I'd just forego the 4T grenade risk and just add 20Lbs to my 250 2t and smash the shit out of the pipe.  BOOM instantly "smooth" and "traction".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1