Sign in to follow this  

2019 tx300 20 hour review

Love the bike.

1-Ended up with a jd jet kit because it was very temperamental after a 10 degree change. So far happy.

2- got an fmf fatty pipe and powercore 2.1 combo, still very quiet, both a touch lighter then stock unit which is very nice but i already dented stock pipe and the stock silencer is beautiful and will be saved.

3- smoothest and best heavy moto set up to engine is jd jet kit, fmf combo, red pv aux spring with adjuster 1.75 turns in (about a 1/4 turn out from stock) on the retarded ign map. Sand to clay it will pull harder and with more traction then a 450. I can also ride the 300 twice as long without being tired.

4- im not even going to revalve this suspension. I did have to get a couple different shock springs but settled on a 4.8 at 195lbs without gear. The high speed comp is very strong so 1.25 out is still pretty stiff, i range between 1.5 and 1.75 out, 10 out on comp and 12 on rebound (10 in sand). Forks call for 150psi for my weight....i like 140 to 145 in sand, 137 on clay. I have compression out 12 as well as rebound, all i can say is its a great fork stock. Excellent action. Does have a quirk, but very forgivable. Shock can be fidgetty if rebound is too fast.

5- this bike rocks. Best handling machine ive ever owned. Very fast and smooth. Hare scrambles or mx, if you are a vet racer brought up on 2 strokes this is the bike to have. It will renew your interest in the sport and shock you with its handling. Its that good.20181123_174401.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Helpful 3

That's an awesome review. You're setup is similar to how I'm going but I've got the Lectron and going with Fatty pipe and EE endcap on stock silencer. I'm a little heavier than you but went with same shock spring. I can't wait to get out on the bike, snow on ground now so will be a while before I can get out. 

Edited by Wrfrk
  • Like 1

That's an awesome review. You're setup is similar to how I'm going but I've got the Lectron and going with Fatty pipe and EE endcap on stock silencer. I'm a little heavier than you but went with same shock spring. I can't wait to get out on the bike, snow on ground now so will be a whole before I can get out. 
It tracks snow really well also. I feel this bike is closer to a mx bike then a off roader, but i guess with a powervalve like that you can make it whatever you want! How is the lectron? Im trying the jd kit first, so far its really good. If it didnt work i was gonna get the air stryker from jd. Ive struggled with this carb on my 03 cr250 before, already tried jetting myself and found good ground but the needle is key.... jd recommends a size rich pilot which i ran anyways and even still it is really nice, no spooge or anything

I just got the bike last Saturday so I've not even taken it out. I'm hoping to get out on a trail this coming weekend but that will depend on the weather, more snow could be coming.. I am not sure the Lectron will provide better performance as there are differeing OPs out there about it but 1 thing is for sure, it's not temperamental about climate changes or elevation changes and we go through a lot of that in UT. With the LC once I get it set I should not ever have to touch it again, that's worth a little perf loss..........

Edited by Wrfrk

If you only rode MX, would you prefer this bike to a 450, assuming you had the suspension dialed?
I do only ride mx, you can dial the stock suspension to moto. Its a better moto bike then the tc250 if you ask me
  • Like 1

If you only rode MX, would you prefer this bike to a 450, assuming you had the suspension dialed?
Here is my 450. 20180728_115359.jpeg

Nice! Decided just to keep mine and tear it down for a frame powder coat refresh etc
Good idea! I rode the 2014 back to back with my 2019....not a lot of difference except front end feel and suspension. I would keep your bike.....but fix the electric start!!

Good idea! I rode the 2014 back to back with my 2019....not a lot of difference except front end feel and suspension. I would keep your bike.....but fix the electric start!!
I'm gonna have too! Just destroyed my ACL and Meniscus so don't want to kick anymore than I have too!
  • Like 1

I'm gonna have too! Just destroyed my ACL and Meniscus so don't want to kick anymore than I have too!
The 2019 has a kickstart that only fits an inch into your boot. Its difficult healthy.

great write up......definitely on my wish list now....
The 300s are do it all bikes. Suspension tuning can make it whatever.

Just curious--have you done back to back track testing/compared lap times, etc? The "expert consensus" is that nothing is faster for moto than a 450, which I believe at the pro level, but for Vet/C class riders I wonder. I'm definitely faster on my 450SXF than I was on my old 250SX, but I miss the 2-stroke line-carving ability. I just don't miss getting roosted by 450s on every straightaway.

• Like 1

Just curious--have you done back to back track testing/compared lap times, etc? The "expert consensus" is that nothing is faster for moto than a 450, which I believe at the pro level, but for Vet/C class riders I wonder. I'm definitely faster on my 450SXF than I was on my old 250SX, but I miss the 2-stroke line-carving ability. I just don't miss getting roosted by 450s on every straightaway.
I cant say i timed my laps. I did however ride the bike the first time racing it. Not setup well and not broken in i placed in similar standings. I raced it 2 times after and placed better then this years average, better each time. The 300 lacks the hit and gains considerable amounts of bottom with a smooth ride into midrange, plenty of over rev. Im not a lugger, and feel the gear ratio is very similar to a 450, not as tight as a 250 but the bike easily pulls into the next gear without any loss of momentum. I actually feel it pulls a bit longer then my 450 in some areas. The bike is not slow. It is all the motor you would expect to compete with 450 engines. In a straight away you wont lose ground to a 450, most times i gained ground. It makes an excellent mx bike.FB_IMG_1537700960384.jpeg
  • Like 4