Sign in to follow this  

How does the cold affect the efi

I have a 2014 kx 250f with an EFI and it's like 40 degrees and lower right now. The bike only starts with the throttle cracked and won't idle even when hot and adjusting the idle speed doesn't do anything. I was wondering if it was because it is too cold? 

Yes, it is designed to work at 50 degrees and above, but it will compensate for lower temps/higher air density, ONLY if you can start it with no throttle and let it idle with no throttle till it is up to full 190 degree water temp.  That's if you can start it with no throttle.

What you have to do is get it warm, all the way to the throttle body, and then it will work better.

That will take probably 10 min.

Are you filtering your fuel, and treating your fuel ? If you don't, you will contaminate the FI system, and problems with come up.

Your FI system is 4 years old, and you should have replaced/cleaned the fuel pump filter at least 4 times by now.

Lean it against your idling truck with the truck exhaust blowing right at the motor while you get your gear on. Have even seen guys tarp the bike while doing this.  40 is not cold BTW.

LOL, yeah, the system will compensate for much colder than 50, which is right in the middle of prime riding temp for me... and if you're putting in fresh, clean fuel there is no reason to think you need to overhaul your fuel system at anything under 150-200 hours of motor time.

I have a 2017 Beta 500 RR-S.  Last winter and again this winter, it was/is my snowbike.  I have had the bike start down to -10F, as long as I have given the battery a boost when it is down to 10F and below otherwise, the bike starts, idles and runs perfectly in the cold.  It also runs great in the heat of the summer.  

Fuel Injection-I thank my lucky stars I have it as it was a must-have when I was shopping for my first new-new-bike.