Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on Handguard Mounts??

Ive been looking into getting some fullwrap handguards for my bike, and I'm thinking of trying the mounts that bolt right on the handlebars replacing the upper clamp like these ones from emperor racing (MK07). Now my question is has anyone had negative experiences with mounts that go directly to the center of the bar? I think they look like a great option, but I do fall frequently, and when I dump it hard I just want to know if this will impact the mounts in the center, thus possibly ruining the clamp and the bars not being held securely?

MK-06-Emperor-1-600x600.jpg

I've used the center mounts like that from BRP for my Cycra Pro Bends with no issues for years.  Have had crashes that bent fork tubes, but still haven't had a bend to the bar mounts or any other issue with the bars.

I know this is a bit off topic but I don’t recommend the handle bar guards that go into the bar end because when you jolt forward you’ll break your wrists because the guards are solod

For 5 years I have run a BRP bar mount, with isolation bushings, and have direct mount SICASS wrap arounds.  Over the years I have had lots of drops and crashes but have never been let down by the performance of this setup.  The mounting is much more secure and in my experience is better at keeping things in alignment when the going gets tough!  With my previous conventional setup it used to be common occurrence to have my wrap around get rearranged from a crash or nasty drop.  Sometimes to the point of interfering with the clutch or the throttle which required disassembly for realignment while on the trail, much to the dislike of those riding with me. The rigid mount and the beefy structure of the wrap arounds has taken care of that malady.  I won't be going back to a traditional setup.

1 hour ago, Husqvarna1 said:

I know this is a bit off topic but I don’t recommend the handle bar guards that go into the bar end because when you jolt forward you’ll break your wrists because the guards are solod

Agree with husqvarna1 many years ago riding a KTM300 in greasy conditions hit a tree root at low speed went over the bars but my hand caught between barkbusters and handlebar broke a bone in my hand. Around same time a friend also had a crash and arm was caught in barkbusters resulting in compound fracture, bone poking out of badly broken arm. Every one in my club removed our solid guards and now ride with simple hand guards that are open at side and not mounted to end of handlebars so you can’t get hands trapped. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Husqvarna1 said:

I ran a poll on this a while back and for the majority, they've never had this happen. I think that you're just as likely to get ripped up by a foot peg than you are getting your write broken by wrap around hand guards. Possible? Sure. Highly likely or even likely? Not according the user poll results I ran.

Here's a link to the topic. Feel free to vote!

I've never broken a wrist in over 35 years of riding, but wrap around have saved my hands from getting ground into the dirt and rocks when I couldn't get my hands off the handlebars in time. Riding is a risk! :ride:

• Like 3

The only problem I see with the solid mounts is it restricts bar placement to where the full wraps connect at the bar end. I adjust my bars where I like them first, then install my guards where the need to be for me. If it were not for having full wraps on my rides my fingers would be mangled and unusable. I have broken a bone in my hand coming off the side in a high center situation cause I wouldn’t let go cause I thought I could save it. I couldn’t! Heard it snap. Rode another 45 minutes cause I knew once I stopped I wouldn’t be riding for about 2 months. Won’t ride without full wraps in the tight woods I ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I ran a poll on this a while back and for the majority, they've never had this happen. I think that you're just as likely to get ripped up by a foot peg than you are getting your write broken by wrap around hand guards. Possible? Sure. Highly likely or even likely? Not according the user poll results I ran.

Here's a link to the topic. Feel free to vote!

I've never broken a wrist in over 35 years of riding, but wrap around have saved my hands from getting ground into the dirt and rocks when I couldn't get my hands off the handlebars in time. Riding is a risk! :ride:

I was pro full wraps until a couple weekends ago when I got taken out on a straight away section during a HS. The &%$#@! just straight up hit me... plenty of room for him on the left... anyway. I got my hand stuck and was pretty sure I had broken my finger as my hand had gotten stuck between the bars abs guards. This was the first time this had happened to me and I have ridden a lot of miles since 2003. I have since ditched the full wraps and went with some Cycra open ended ones.

I have always ran full hand gaurds never had a problem and I do my far share of crashing. I know they have saved my fingers plenty of times from trees. I still plan on running full gaurds.  

• Like 2

I couple of my buddies use those fixed mount systems, rather than the usual clamp onto the handlebar ones. IMHO, any crash hard enough to bend the center mount ones are going to bend a lot of expensive stuff. One issue you  do see with  the usual ones is that in some crashes, the barkbuster mount can rotate down and clip the hoses off the clutch or brake reservoir.  The solution is to not clamp the clutch or brake on super ridged, let it it rotate a bit.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I had the standard clamp to the bar mounts on my 450 and they did fine, with this 250xcw there is a lot more of a mess up top and hopefully selecting the mounts that go directly to the handlebar center will leave a bit more room. That and also they seem more sturdy in the event of a crash. Now which ever brand I select I just have to hope they hold up well, I bent 2 sets of fullwraps on my 450 lmao

ya its off topic but I recently switched from open to full wrap guards after 8 years cus I FINALLY smashed my left hand into a tree not once but twice in the same ride. Completely destroyed the guard and luckily I only bruised my knuckles. I've always felt the open guards made me more aware of how tight the trees etc I was tiding and me a more spatially aware rider.

Anyway the DRZ400E that my buddy gave me to take gave of for him indefinitely while he's living in OZ with his family (best buddy ever 🙂 ) has older Acrebis Pro X guards and I've seen him do some stupendous crashes on the bike when he still had it and the guards never twisted and have help up extremely so I bought a pair for my CRF250R.

The new versions have IMO have a better bar clamp and I like that there are separate inserts (1-1/8 and 7/8) in the clamps so when you tighten them down the outer pushes on the inner and its looks like it will be almost impossible for the inner clamps to rotate but the guard could still rotate at the single bolt (see last comments). time will tell.

20181127_164541.jpg.eeef91b6f585ed05db9f0afa17c057b8.jpg

Back on topic

Most of my buddies with 1-1/8" bars run the BRP's (no standard 7/8" version) and I've looked at the Emperor Racing for my 7/8" bars but the brackets look longer than the BRP and not sure if they would work with the Pro X's.

BRP%20mts%203.jpg

MK-06-Emperor-1-600x600.jpg

Obviously the inserts need to be installed/tighten correctly and IMO if both this type and normal bar mount clamps had two bolts as in this pic it would prevent the guards from rotating. Might have to suggest that to a manufacture 🙂

Clipboard01sdds.jpg.a8e515224a9afdcfd6e0d1057899d950.jpg

I'm done nerding 🙂

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

the barkbuster mount can rotate down and clip the hoses off the clutch or brake reservoir.  The solution is to not clamp the clutch or brake on super ridged, let it it rotate a bit.

Ya I've seen that happen a few times on a few KTMS with bar clamps

5 hours ago, Husqvarna1 said:

I go over the bars more than I like and the full wraps are not a problem if you rotate them down low enough that some brush will go over and hit your hands. Better than catching a wrist on the top of the flag during a get off; which after using full wrap type "Bark Busters" since the 80s, I did last summer.

Full wraps only for me. When, not if, I fall I can keep my hands on the bars, pick the bike up and go. All 7 of my bikes have them.