Sign in to follow this  

RK Tech Head for a YZ250x Review

So I have a 2016 YZ250x that I have bought brand new in 2016, absolutely love this bike from the get go. So currently the mods I have on it is the FMF Gnarly and Shorty Silencer, 8.4oz Flywheel weight, G2 Throttle Tube with the Mud Cam installed and some various armor on the bike. I tell you that so you know how the bike was set up, now I did notice on the YZ250x there were some flat spots in the power and where it felt sluggish throughout the power band, heat disappation issues and some minor jetting problems. These issues were making me consider getting a Lectron Carb and a Eric Gorr 300cc Kit, roughly $1000 total to fix these problems. Well I was watching YouTube and say the dirt bike channel doing a review of the RK Tech Head. That got me interested and I went to the website thought this is a pretty cool aluminum head no idea how good it’ll be but it’s cool looking. It wasn’t until two months later when my dad purchased a TC250 and was thinking of getting did he start talking to me about it and sent me some reviews and convinced me to try it. I called up RK tech which is out of Idaho and spoke to the owner himself. Very knowledgeable about his product and how to best set it up for your bike, to the jetting you should run and where you will see improvements in the powerband. It was great speaking with him as he spoke to you like a normal person and avoided a lot of technical speak, he always asked what kind of gas you run which I thought was great, as he sets the heads up for this. I currently am running the Ethanol Free Gas from Maverick (88 Octane the same Octane he designed the head for). I ordered then and there, and he had it shipped to me. Being from Utah it only took 2 days (Ordered it Thursday had it Friday afternoon). Which that shipping will vary as he does ship it USPS. 

My first reaction upon opening the box was holy crap this thing look trick! As you can see in the pictures it is anodized blue, looks sharp. The inner head has a very interesting pattern to it as compared to the stock head (See Pictures) which improve the flow of the head and has better compression thus making your head more efficient for the detonation of the piston. So after work, I changed out of my Shorts and sweatshirt (I work from home and my wife requires I wear pants, the party pooper) went to the garage and began putting it together. Disassembly is basic, followed the manual to the T, added some dielectric grease to the gasket ring and star cross pattern the nuts back on. Though I did snap all the engine mount bolt when I tightened them to the Manual specs, so be careful with that, though Lowes will thank you for your patronage. 
After bolting everything together I fired her up, and wow did she sound mean! Seriously there was a noticeable voice change of the motor, to a deeper and meaner sounding. Sorta reminds me the sound the old Factory Two Strokes made when they were fired up. Even though I have the G2 Throttle with the Mud Cam in, the throttle response was improved, I took it for a quick spin in the neighborhood to make sure nothing would fall off then put her back. Then the next day I went to the track, first ride! All I can say is A) I don’t ride track much and pretty much suck at it, B) the low end torque was vastly improved over the stock, the bike ran like a champ in the mid and I never got her up top due to the track being tight. The following day I took her to 5 Mile or the desert where I normally ride. Holy crap! The improvements all around the board was amazing! It felt not only stronger but almost felt like I put a 300 kit on her. Improvements were everywhere, bottom, mid and top. It eliminated all the flat spots of the powerband, smoothing the powerband out. It also helped my heat problem, (My bike likes to run hot). The power was shifted for me from that point of low torque to more mid to high range, not a negative just thought I’d put that out. 

So in all I would recommend this part to everyone with a YZ, it did an amazing job transforming my bike into a fire breather and more fun to ride, also saved me about $700 as I don’t need the 300 kit or the Lectron Carb. So Give RK Tech a call or go to their website https://www.2strokeheads.comI’m not sponsored by them at all, but just want to put the word out to support these guys as they do wonderful work. 

Pros:    Easy installation

Looks Factory

Massive Improvements across the board

Fixed the jetting issues

Fixed some of the heating dissipation issues

Cons:   Changed the power delivery to more Mid to Top

Does change the voice of the bike to being a little louder (Not really an issue I just am digging to make this list)

IMG_0470.jpeg

56287707536__C7655D86-2A3F-4EF6-9041-9A57268E0112.jpg

56287717509__63B3A863-14D3-42EC-8F84-D7F66C0F54FB.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0376.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawaii-Rider said:

Nice, 

I have one on my 2018 TC250 and same reaction, performance gains and jetting ease (finally)

This thing is the real deal and a Money back guarantee if you dont like it?

WHO does that with dirt bike parts?

HR

IMG_20181110_164051.jpg

I bought one. Didn’t meet my expectation (did not improve fuel economy). Tried to return it, was denied. Not dissing the product but the 30 day return policy is fake. 

• Like 4

Yeah, increasing compression on a two stroke generally weights the power band towards the midrange.

You snapped the engine mount bolts when tightening to factory spec?  Maybe your torque wrench is out of whack.  

• Helpful 1

I'm confused... i thought correcting the squish on an X  model gained mostly low-mid increases.

It did, I got massive gains through out the motor, just the motor likes to be run more in the mid range, sorta that weird spot between mid and low, hard to explain the feeling of it.
  • Like 1

Flat spots, low power, and heat issues are not the norm for that bike. I would troubleshoot that despite the good performance with the new head.

Not really heat issues as I stated my bike likes to run hot, I’m also at over 5,000 feet elevation and in a desert. Which does contribute to the heat dissipation problem, which is why I was looking at a super cooler from Boyesen. Nothing that is cause engine problems just running hot.