Sign in to follow this  

Will 250R dual exhaust fit my 250X

Just bought my 2nd 250x and would like to swap the stock 250X exhaust for the 250R dual system.  I know it's possible cause I've seen it on youtube.  Just wondering what year 250R dual systems would fit my X?  Is the dual R system lighter than the X single?

Thanks in advance

Not a direct bolt-on for sure,

a few things that come to mind is the airbox side access / left side number plate clearance and, coolant overflow tank.

IMO that mod is strictly for bling, there is no performance gains to be had by going to an R dual exhaust on an X.

Most quality aftermarket single pipe and silencers specifically designed for the X will flow plenty for the engine's potential.

Honda's theory for dual pipes is mass centralization, 

yet you don't see the other manufacturers convinced of this and, their bikes still outperform the CRF.

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

This has been covered in this forum many times but we'll cover it once again. I have performed 3 of these conversions and can advise you that it will gain you only in bling factor.

To do this properly you will need a subframe from a 06-09 CRF250R as well as every component that bolts onto that subframe. The next problem needing to be solved is a location and mounts for the battery. The 06-09R subframe bolts onto the 250X frame with no modifications and by using all the 06-09R adjoining components additional modifications are eliminated, this is necessary due to none of the 250X components bolting directly to the 06-09R subframe.

6 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

If you want the bling of dual exhausts it would be cheaper to buy a R.

If may be cheaper but you'd be lacking the e start of the X , unless you were to buy a 18-19 R model at which it would be cheaper to modify the X.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

how about a fake left muffler that's really a tool and spare tube storage ?

I actually like that idea.  Nice storage area.  Any details?  Been done?

If it's not a weight saver it's not worth the effort for the bling.  Does look good, though, just sayin ....

• Like 1

There's already a bit of storage built-in the CRF250X.....

if you cut the crusts off and use a tight fitting ziplock bag, you can fit a nice sandwich inside the airbox :ride:

Only did it once but you should have seen the other rider's faces when I pulled it out at lunch break,

said: 'ahh that's what's been causing all the hesitation in my engine, watch me fly when we get going again'

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

On 11/28/2018 at 1:44 PM, chopper61 said:

This has been covered in this forum many times but we'll cover it once again. I have performed 3 of these conversions and can advise you that it will gain you only in bling factor.

To do this properly you will need a subframe from a 06-09 CRF250R as well as every component that bolts onto that subframe. The next problem needing to be solved is a location and mounts for the battery. The 06-09R subframe bolts onto the 250X frame with no modifications and by using all the 06-09R adjoining components additional modifications are eliminated, this is necessary due to none of the 250X components bolting directly to the 06-09R subframe.

What did you end up doing with the CDI ? Assuming you included the seat in the bolt on list as the R runs different height rails to the X as well ?

5 hours ago, andrewdisco said:

What did you end up doing with the CDI ? Assuming you included the seat in the bolt on list as the R runs different height rails to the X as well ?

CDI and battery are on a combo mount that lifts up to gain access to the air filter, and yes the 06-09 R seat is needed as it is another component that bolts to the sub frame.

Nice work chopper, sounds like a quality job.  I've done 1600hrs over 8 x 05-08 250X+250R so have played alot with it all myself.  My butt will always adore the 2005 R seat.