Sign in to follow this  

XR600 after market carb options

I have a 92 XR600R, the motor is 1st over size with a uni air filter and snorkel removed. Im going to order an XRs only header and can. Id like to get a lectron but cant justify dropping $1000 on one, so what other options are there?

Mikuni TM40. Easier to set up than the Keihin FCR , less complex , less expensive and you won't have to buy a used one.  The Lectron was originally a 2-stroke carb and has no accelerator pump anyway , it wouldn't be much better than your stock carb.

You'll find many have had great luck with an FCR as well as a TM40. If you find a good deal on a used FCR I don't think you'll be disappointed. I like the idea of a new carburetor when making a switch so the TM40 is what I chose. A new FCR is out of my price range but a TM40 can be purchased and built for your bike and be around $300. Either carb you choose there is plenty help on TT to get it running right.

• Like 1

I have an FCR 41 carb on my xr600r, and I do like it, but if you get the FCR MX, that most people get, it will not fit quite right due to its size. It will bump into the frame and you have to mount it on an angle. But...if you get the non-MX, known by some as the slanted slide housing, you will not have the fitment issue. You can order these through Sudco, but they are VERY expensive.  I did end up getting mine through Sudco and they supply custom made manifolds so that it bolts right up to the existing xr600r hardware. If I were starting over, I might consider the Mikuni. Also, I would put the stock airbox and filter back you your bike. Aftermarket mufflers are a personal preference thing. Try to get one where the exhaust gases exit straight out the back; the mufflers with baffle plates that shoot the hot gases out the side will burn the plastic side panels on your bike. Aftermarket header pipes make no appreciable difference in how the bike  performs...some may disagree with me on this, but I have used both aftermarket and stock headers, and highly prefer the stockers that come with a heat shield so your leg won't get burned.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Let's be clear.

He wants an FCR MX

And I've never had any fitment issues. On the 600r manifold too.

FCRMX

Why does he want an MX?  I'm glad you didn't have fitment issues on your MX, but I did, and others have too. The non-MX sold by Sudco is dubbed a "racing" carb. Not sure why they call it that, but it sure doesn't mean low-performance.  Here's a conversation I had a few years back:

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 6.23.47 PM.png

Edited by exaresix

Mine is a fcrmx also
I'm using the stock intake manifold and carb to air box pipe
If you do the same the carb will hit the frame and the cables will not fit due to the gas tank
The part that hits the frame is the cover for the cables . So I removed the plastic cover and cut the top portion of the cover on the carb . Took me 5 min with a hack saw
For the cables I whent with a single pull cable and made a small adapter to lower the position of the cable on the carb so now it no longer hits the gas tank
I'm using a small piece of pvc pipe to work as a adapter for the air box to carb pipe.
I'm also using the stock throttle with a custom made cable
I payed 100€ for the carb and just got the needle and a few jets

You can also use a xrl650 intake boot and buy a 3d printed adapter for the air box side then use a crf cables and throttle .
No fitment issues but more $$

The mx has a leak jet. Therefore you can adjust and modify the AP squirt. Also the MX has more jet accessibility through just the bowl plug. Not to mention non MX isn't standard keihin pilot jets. Also MX has the choke and hot start circuits more on point.
I had zero issues fitting. The top left section of the throttle cable drum plastic cover is wedged nicely against the frame but no interference and no need to cut anything. Snappy cable return. Crf cables and stock 600r manifold. 2" of sch40 PVC to coupler to the airbox boot. Stock tank was closer. But my Clarke's showed no interference. On two separate xr6's.
Spit on it...itll fit...!

• Like 1

The AP squirt is just fine on the non MX. The pilot jet may not be standard in your book, but it is a Keihin jet and readily available. You can order a non-MX from Sudco with a choke (I did). The hot start is not necessary. And once again, you may not have had fitment issues, but most people do with the MX. If your cable housing is “wedged nicely against the frame” then your carb is not sitting vertically. I’ve installed enough is these to know. The non-MX is a fabulous carb and I strongly prefer it, having owned both.

Edited by exaresix

Not arguing a non MX.
But I am fully promoting getting an MX vs not.
ALL my fcrmxs are vertical. ALL jetted perfectly. ALL float bowl leveled perfectly.
I've used the 600r manifold EVerytime.(on 600r's). I've also used Clarke gas tanks Every time, and had zero issues. And I've used 50 cents worth of sch40 to coupler to my boot EVerytime.
I doubt frames will be mms different enough for something the same size not to fit.
Down to race you on one on any track in So Cal. Name when and where, I'm at all of them.
To me...one of the coolest points of upgrading to an fcrmx is the fact it has a TUNABLE AP circuit. That and the fact that it uses more common keihin pilots. They'll have them AT Honda. Not have to order it and wait 1 to 3 days for it.
You're already spending the money...upgrade all the way.
FCRMX

88 xr600r
Fcrmx39
Crf cables
600r manifold
Sch40 airbox coupler.
There's nothing at all touching my cable drum. It's not even touching the top of it. You just have to wedge it past the frame. It won't just float by. But the manifolds are softer so just shove it in! ;)
But these carbs are level.
Zero cable hangups.
I don't see what the big deal is fitmentwise.20181130_043153.jpeg

• Like 1

The pull cable would still hit the tank so I lowerd it with a small bra bracket
The clearance between the frame and carb is tight
I had first intended to cut the manifold to push the carb further closer to the engine but since it was a brand new one did'nt want to do it
Anyway it's quit simple anyway and the fcrmx is much easier to find used as most mx and enduro bikes before FI used them IMG_20181130_134124.jpegIMG_20181130_134116.jpegIMG_20181130_134046.jpeg

• Like 1

What tank?
I have a 95 xr6r with an fcrmx41 and both cables and drum cover fit fine with a Clarke tank.
But didn't fit as fine under the stock tank.
Where the frame touches the drum cover, if it does, doesn't impede the throttle cable drum...for me. You look close top left but you're saying you're issue is the tank.. I think with stock tank, I took the rubber thing off the frame and stuffed a rolled up sock under the right side, lifting it a little. Away from the drum. But I've only done one xr to fcrmx with a stock tank and never saw that issue with Clarke's, and have done 4 bikes with them.

You don't have the right size barrel on the end of your cable and the cable is loose as hell.
It hasn't slipped and is working fine with that barrel . The slack is intentionally as this carb response is so immediate that I prefer it like that . Just use the adjustment in the throttle.

I can't ride with a throttle cable that's loose enough to actually SEE the slack , too imprecise.

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone input. I found a used mikuni that was on a xr600 but im not sure what it is. On the neck are the numbers T38 and directly under it is 85A. Anyone have any info on this?