Sign in to follow this  

Please help I’m new to bikes

I’m new to bikes and I bought a xr650l 2005 model if that matters. Anyways I want to check spark in the bike but my starter is bad so is there a May to check spark without starter working any help would be appreciated thanks.

Not an easy way.  It will make a spark if you have a decent battery and push it in gear but you'd be a talented dude if you could do all that and watch for spark. 

I guess you could run a jumper wire from the plug wire and bite on the bare end to see if it makes you see stars...?

Edited by Hollerhead
  • Haha 3

You could secure the bike with the rear wheel in the air, take out the spark plug, and rotate the rear wheel in 3rd gear or so.

Do you know what is wrong with the starter?

If you take a heavy wire and jump from the positive side of the battery to the power post on the top of the starter, does it turn the engine?  If not, you can rebuild the starter for a reasonable amount if you're even mildly mechanically inclined.  If you don't want to rebuild, I have a spare starter that I bought when my starter died, before I rebuilt the original one - I'll make it available for a reasonable price.

I'm pretty sure holding onto the end of the spark plug wire, or holding the spark plug in your hand when turning the engine over will let you know if it is producing current for a spark.  Much easier than trying to see the spark, although "a bit less pleasant".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assuming your goal is to have a bike that runs, I wouldn't worry about spark until you figure out your starter issue. Once you get it to turn over we can help diagnose any running issue you may have.

• Like 3

Step 1 - check the voltage of your battery.  Meters to do that are pretty cheap.  If that is low, then you could try charging it.  Also, many auto parts places will check your battery for free, maybe go that route if you don't have a meter or battery charger.  

So ... with a healthy charged battery ... what happens?  Starter spinning the motor over nicely but it isn't starting?  Or starter not spinning the motor over?  

Not sure how long the bike has sat ... but the most common issues are weak/dead battery and clogged pilot jet in the carb.  

I did take a set of jumper cables and connect it to the battery and the starter and it turned over   But there is still no spark so what’s next because I’m not too sure thanks for all the previous help

Are both the key AND the kill switch on ?  Honda's  will still turn the starter with the kill switch off. Does the starter not work by the button because you blew a fuse ?

Edited by JoeRC51

Look at the easy stuff first like Joe stated. The starter will spin if you put power to it, but if the key is off it won't spark. After that I would bet on a bad CDI.