Sign in to follow this  

Trans Fluid: More than the recommended amount???

Do you put more transmission fluid into your transmission than the manual says to? Do you only use Transmission fluid???

900ml Penrite HD50. Every 10 hours. Being an 09 model it probably doesn't need the extra but it never spits the excess out (unlike my KTM)

I know of people that put up to a quart on the trans side.....mostly guys that ride a lot of street.  Personally I put about 800 - 850 ml in mine.....over what the manual says but a bit under a quart.  I use the same oil on both sides....fully synthetic ester fortified Maxima Pro Plus 10w30 motorcycle specific.  Seems to hold up really well.

• Like 1

I use the Honda transmission oil and only put the recommended amount from the manual. Bike has 100 hrs and no problems what so ever. Still stock clutch too. 1 race and a lot of hard miles in those hours. Bike started its life with the Honda gold oil in the trans. Just recently started changing the trans fluid every other engine oil change. Just realized every time I drain the trans oil it was perfectly red still. I change my engine oil quite often. After just a couple rides depending on the mileage. 

05-08 I believe had the trans oil issue so most everyone runs a full quart in there to prevent seizing on long stretches of wide open throttle. I have a 2005 and have always run a full quart of the Honda recommended oil on this side with no issues. 

• Like 1

The '05's and a few serial numbers into '06 had the oiling issue. I put 800 cc's in my '08 for absolutely no reason, and the results are invisible.