Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 Jetting questions

I just bought an '07 CRF230F that has a FMF Q4 exhaust on it. Previous owner said no other mods done. I would like to add a Procom CDI and remove the airbox snorkel. Read enough about jetting that my head is spinning. What would be the proper jetting on this? Live in the Pacific Northwest and will ride below 2000'. Thanks

No two bikes are the same.  Uncorking usually is 120 MJ, 45 PJ, and 03-05 needle with clip down to fourth notch.  You can start there and then tweak it.

The OEM carb will bog if you whack the throttle off idle.  No sense in trying to fix that with different jetting.  You will need a different carb design.

• Helpful 1

Plus one( +1)on above jetting specs, BUT:

Start out with properly setting the float level.

Finish by adjusting the idle mixture screw for the highest idle speed, then reset your base idle speed where you like it best.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Plus one( +1)on above jetting specs, BUT:

Start out with properly setting the float level.
Finish by adjusting the idle mixture screw for the highest idle speed, then reset your base idle speed where you like it best.

Can't recommend this enough. I did not set the float level first, and after doing all the recommended, I'm still a little rich (with adjustment screw all the way in). The bike is running super good as it is, but I'd like to have some room for adjustment. I will soon be following all the advice I've read 100 times over on this forum to START with float level, then proceed.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

+1000 on float level...I banged my head against the wall for 3 days when I bought my bike and pulled the carb apart to clean everything.  I incorrectly adjusted the float without admitting it and wasted a lot of time chasing problems that weren't there.  This bike is so touchy with float adjustments.  Many bikes are, but this one for sure!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, tiemann1 said:

Unable to send you pm.  Check your email spam/trash folder plz. PWK/OKO questions.  Thx

Not sure if you are talking to me. I received the email notification from thumpertalk that you replied to my post so my email seems to be working.

2 minutes ago, rstews said:

Not sure if you are talking to me. I received the email notification from thumpertalk that you replied to my post so my email seems to be working.

He was pinging me. Replied by email.