Sign in to follow this  

How bad have you destroyed a wheel?

I have seen bent rims, broken spokes, rims with cracks, broken hubs, etc. 

I have never seen anything like this!

Average day at Jordan river mx in SLC. Small double double section. I was overjumping intentionally (is faster imo) but like I said, nothing big. 4 ft high by 30 ish feet doubles. About 8 laps in I split my rim almost 180 degrees right down the middle! No broken spokes or hub, just ripped the nipples right through the rim. This is a warp9 elite rim laced to stock 2015 honda hub and spokes. Warp9 is replacing the rim at cost. (Would have been free if it would have been a wheel they laced)

I'm not knocking warp9. Just curious if anyone has seen this or maybe has seen worse. The tire still had air. Didn't even pop the tube.

20181105_175212.jpg

20181105_174944.jpg

20181105_174959.jpg

20181105_175030.jpg

20181028_170003.jpg

20181028_170033.jpg

• Like 1

You’re fortunate that you didn’t crash. I’ve never seen a rim go down the middle like that in 35+ years I’ve been around bikes. If it was my bike I’d skip the free replacement from Warp9 and pay for an Excel or DID rim. 

Edited by Dklassen
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

You’re fortunate that you didn’t crash. I’ve never seen a rim go down the middle like that in 35+ years I’ve been around bikes. If it was my bike I’d skip the free replacement form Warp9 and pay for an Excel or DID rim. 

+1. That doesn't look like very nice ally the way it's broken. I'd love to see it up close.

That's a wall hanger trophy right there. Never seen anything like that either. You are a very lucky man. Like the others have said since you will still need to pay for the warp9 buy a different better quality rim. Than hang that rim on your wall.

• Like 1

I’ve run Warp9 wheels for years and have never had a problem with them.

I know you said they are replacing it. Did they have anything to say about why it may have broken?

I would not have bought a Warp9 for my bike, and based on your riding style you probably shouldn't either.  I would get an Excel or DID and not look back.

• Like 1

I have never seen a rim break like what you have shown.  Looks like fatigue failure.   As the tire hits the dirt there are 2 paths for the load to be distributed. 1st The weight of the the rider and the bike are carried by the spokes at the top of the wheel putting them in tension.  2nd The force of a  impact, such as a landing, should be distributed by the tube to the entire inside of the rim.  Too big a load or tool of air pressure can allow a point load at the edge of the rim. A snake bite and tube puncture is typically the result.    What tire pressure were you riding?  Did you check it prior to the session? Did you have any indication of low pressure while riding?  When was the last time you checked the tension of your spokes? If your spokes were loose the amount of load carried in tension at the top of the wheel would be reduced and the amount of load and flex demanded of the rim at the contact patch would increase.

A combination of loose spokes and too low of inflation on the tube might have allowed the rim to flex in a manner it was not designed to do and eventually the result was metal fatigue. Based on the amount of dirt on the tire it appears the soil was soft and that might have prevented you from feeling the condition.

You are one lucky dude that the rim didn't catastrophically fail while at speed!  I would not replace that product with another rim from the same manufacture without sufficient explanation.  Its your neck.  Not theirs!

'Replacing at cost', still sounds like some $, which I would put towards a rim that is stronger than this one.

• Like 2

First off thanks for helping me realize how easily it could have been much worse!  I kind of blew it off because the last time I rode there my clutch cable broke. I feel like my bike is jinxed at this track. This is the vet track and I was minutes from going to the east (pro) track.

I left the wheel dirty so it could be seen just as it happened. I will get up close pics of it when I unlace it.

They add mulch to the track and it was freshly groomed. However, this is a hardpacked track and the lines wear in quick.

I checked spokes and tire pressure before the ride. I run 16-18 psi. The tube didn't pop and was bulging through the crack. I let the air out back at the truck. 

I took the wheel in to the local shop I used to be a tech at. The parts guy took pics and called warp9 right then. He didn't even ask for a pic. Had warp9 laced the wheel he would have replaced for free.

You guys have me thinking more about safety now. Especially since I typically ride 2-3 hours a week at a seperate mx track.

Replacement at cost is fair imo. I have enough people in my circle that for the price I will just hold onto it.

What rims do you guys recommend that lace to honda one spokes and hub?

First off thanks for helping me realize how easily it could have been much worse!  I kind of blew it off because the last time I rode there my clutch cable broke. I feel like my bike is jinxed at this track. This is the vet track and I was minutes from going to the east (pro) track. I left the wheel dirty so it could be seen just as it happened. I will get up close pics of it when I unlace it.

They add mulch to the track and it was freshly groomed. However, this is a hardpacked track and the lines wear in quick.

I checked spokes and tire pressure before the ride. I run 16-18 psi. The tube didn't pop and was bulging through the crack. I let the air out back at the truck. 

I took the wheel in to the local shop I used to be a tech at. The parts guy took pics and called warp9 right then. He didn't even ask for a pic. Had warp9 laced the wheel he would have replaced for free.

You guys have me thinking more about safety now. Especially since I typically ride 2-3 hours a week at a seperate mx track.

Replacement at cost is fair imo. I have enough people in my circle that for the price I will just hold onto it.

What rims do you guys recommend that lace to honda one spokes and hub?

16-18 psi? That’s high. D.I.D st-x and lt-x are what the honda HRC team runs.

I only run 16-18 with a mx32. Otherwise the sidewall flex chafes the tube and wears a hole in it. Not to mention the higher pressure helps keep the side knobs intact a little longer. I run the 120/80 most of the time.

When I run bridgestones I  run 12-14. 

Finally got around to removing the rim.

We have 6" of snow so it hasn't been priority.

I took pics every angle I could think of. I would have to agree with an above post stating fatigue failure after closer inspection.

Rim has been in use since the bike was new in 2015. Other than a year off for acl surgery theses rims have seen a lot of use.

I guess I haven't thought of a wheel (rim) life expectancy.

Do you motocrossers replace wheels after so many hours?

I laced the new wheel and didn't have to replace any spokes. One had a slight bend in it.

I have been wanting to try tubliss so this wheel will get that along with a 120/90 mx33.

I haven't decided what my next choice of wheels will be for racing but the warp 9s will be my secondary or play set.

20190108_193514.jpg

20190108_193440.jpg

20190108_193426.jpg

20190108_193413.jpg

20190108_193231.jpg

20190108_193207.jpg

20190108_193143.jpg

20190108_193129.jpg

20190108_193038.jpg

In that 2nd to bottom pic it kinda looks like it may have hit something which caused the fracture.

I've seen auto wheels break like that due to poor materials/manufacturing. It even kinda looks cast in those pics, rather than rolled from sheet and pressed/welded.

If you didn't have to take it back I'd be putting a spanner on it and seeing if it breaks when you try bending it.

Hard to tell from pics on the interweb, but that'd be My guess.

What do you mean by a spanner and bend it?

I don't have to give the rim back.

Its going on the wall in my garage.

Exactly what it sounds like, chuck a big adjustable over the side of it and see how much it bends. A spun wheel won't break even if you fold it in half, a cast one won't bend very far before it does.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

Death is correct...that looks cast...which is a scary prospect in a moto wheel IMO... I’ve got 36+ years of riding, family owned a couple dealerships and I’ve never seen a wheel split that badly along the center like that, at most a crack around the spoke nipples...all the other breaks I’ve has or seen were splits &’flattening

• Like 1

spanner = crescent wrench.

By definition a any open ended wrench is a spanner (the open area is the span)

The 1890’s Swedish original patent was called a screw spanner.. only in Canada and America it’s a adjustable spanner or a "crescent wrench”

Even a pipe wrench / “monkey wrench falls until the spanner classification.

Most think of. A spanner as a specialized tool used primarily with a hook on the end like for adjusting rear spring retaining nuts and lock nuts.

• Like 1

I'm going to leave it as is.

Other than hanging it from the ceiling of my garage 🙂

• Like 2