Sign in to follow this  

New YZ65 Owner

Hello all,

Just picked up an 18 YZ65 for my 10Y daughter for Christmas, she is coming off a TTR 110. We mainly ride desert with the occasional trip to the track. This is my first 65 and first 2 stroke in quite some time, plus the fact this is a damn expensive bike for a 65 so I dont want to mess it up! Your help is appreciated.

• I dont trust dealerships for the most part, before i purchased the bike I asked to go to the service bay to see the bike run. I kicked it and it started fine, but when i bliped the throttle it bogged and almost stalled. If i gradually turned the throttle it sounded fine. Service guy said the bogging sound was due to the 15:1 mix required by Yamaha for the initial tank. Is this true? Do i really need to run 15:1 for break in?
  • Our gas sucks in Cali, what the best gas to run? The service guy recommended half VP110 and half regular 91.
  • Do i need to rejet for Cali gas? There were some extra jets that came with the bike. Service guy said I should rejet, shouldnt the bike run fine from the factory?
  • Owner Manual says to remove cylinder and check piston after the first tank of gas. Is this really needed?
  • Is there a good shop to take the bike to and dial it in (orange county area)?
  • Owner Manual doesnt show how to check the tranny oil level???

Thanks again for your help.

Yamaha sets the bike rich from the factory and dealers are told to run a rich oil mix before their bikes leave the door. This is to protect them from liability. I bought Chevron high octane gas when I was in SoCal and our bikes ran fine. It wouldn’t hurt to mix pump gas with race fuel but I don’t believe it’s necessary and would just cost more. Read through the manual for jetting adjustments but break it in first and see if the air screw will help before you pull the carb off. 

If it's cold it can bog like that. I always ran the recommended 15:1 on the first tank because why not. You may or may not need to rejet it later. I have never taken off the cylinder to check the piston unless I knew I needed new rings. As far as the gas the manual should say what octane to use. His sugestion is a little much, but a quarter 110 to 87 should be fine.

Dump fuel, and put in your own. I run a gallon of 25:1 on all my fresh rebuilds. 91 fuel, Yamalube 2R, 32:1 after the first gallon. Put some seafoam in the mix 1/2 can in a 2 gallon, or whole in a 5. Go to SoCal fuel on the end of Colins @ Ekoff and get a 5 gallon can of Sunoco 112 premium and you can do a 1 gallon to 4 gallon pump w/seafoam and oil to make it run better. Fuel will last 3 months with seafoam and mix.

Reset maybe.. 

No need for an inspection that soon. Put an hour meter on it and go 30-40 hours before inspecting top end.

Me?

Dump oil, add correct amount as specified. I would change the trans oil after 2-3 hours, and then every 10 or so.

Edited by 2 STROKE YZ DOC
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CDUBU55 said:

Owner Manual doesnt show how to check the tranny oil level???

Most Yamaha 2-strokes have their oil check bolt located too low on the RH cover.

As an example say the specified capacity is 650ml, the oil would come out at a lesser amount than that

meaning going by the check bolt's level alone would in fact be too low.

Best bet is filling to the specified amount, it should be written in the manual

and is usually stamped in the RH side cover near the water pump.

As well, adding an extra 50ml of oil in the gearbox never hurts.

+1 on Doc's recommendations above :ride:

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice fellas. Any feedback on this bike? I was going to get a KX because i read how reliable the engines were, but that it had a hard hit once in the powerband. Since the YZ has a powervalve i figured it would be easier to handle the powerband for my daughter. Its a Yamaha so I would think the motor is just a reliable if not more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDUBU55 said:

Thanks for the advice fellas. Any feedback on this bike? I was going to get a KX because i read how reliable the engines were, but that it had a hard hit once in the powerband. Since the YZ has a powervalve i figured it would be easier to handle the powerband for my daughter. Its a Yamaha so I would think the motor is just a reliable if not more!

Bike is too new and not many have chimed in here with comments. I would say it will be very Yamaha reliable, and you/she will love it. 

Did my Daughter almost the same way . She went from a KLX110 to a KX65 and killed it  at about 10 yrs old ! Take Doc's suggestions on the Procedures . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

Did my Daughter almost the same way . She went from a KLX110 to a KX65 and killed it  at about 10 yrs old ! Take Doc's suggestions on the Procedures . 

How's the clutch pull on those things? My 10 year old daughter had an xr 70 and I tried to bump her up to a crf 80 but she can't pull the clutch. 2 of my other friends crfs are the same way. It has diswayed her from riding all together.

2 hours ago, Clutch44 said:

How's the clutch pull on those things? My 10 year old daughter had an xr 70 and I tried to bump her up to a crf 80 but she can't pull the clutch. 2 of my other friends crfs are the same way. It has diswayed her from riding all together.

Pretty soft from what I remember .

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Daughter is 10Y 4-6' and about 65lbs, she has no problem pulling in the clutch. Best thing would be to take her to the shop and and sit her on the different models and have her play with the clutch. Even though its a cable clutch the reviews describe it as being as easy to pull as the hydro clutch on the KTM.

• Like 1