Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter seized up

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I was out riding my 03 exc 450 and the damn thing died on me, and before I was able to get a jump and ride off I attempted to kick it over but the Kickstarter wouldn’t budge even with the decompression lever. After getting back to the garage and changing my oil I found a decent amount of metal shavings on the drain plug and 3 or 4 little chunks of metal. I’m assuming it’s the Kickstart year itself, but any other thoughts? 

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I was out riding my 03 exc 450 and the damn thing died on me, and before I was able to get a jump and ride off I attempted to kick it over but the Kickstarter wouldn’t budge even with the decompression lever. After getting back to the garage and changing my oil I found a decent amount of metal shavings on the drain plug and 3 or 4 little chunks of metal. I’m assuming it’s the Kickstart year itself, but any other thoughts? 
Might have some more issues... like you broke a rod.

Agreed more likely not related to Kickstarter. See if you can turn the crank by hand or not, remove either ignition or clutch cover and try to rotate.

Remove the side cover and have a look.  There's no way to tell what happened unless you open it up and look inside. 🙂  

13 hours ago, hansonj091 said:
14 hours ago, Zach Dollar said:

Read more  

Might have some more issues... like you broke a rod.

I’m hoping that’s not the case I just rebuild this thing from the crank up a few months ago

14 minutes ago, rparrish2 said:

Time to part it out and buy a 2 stroke.👍

There’s not too many plated 2 strokes left in SoCal and even less people willing to sell em

I’m hoping that’s not the case I just rebuild this thing from the crank up a few months ago
Take off the top end, and hope for the best. if you dont mind keep me updated.