Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust leaking black oil

My 01 cr 125r has been leaking what seems to be black oil between the pipe and silencer, and also spews it out the silencer. I assumed it might just be running really rich but want some outsider input.

My 01 cr 125r has been leaking what seems to be black oil between the pipe and silencer, and also spews it out the silencer. I assumed it might just be running really rich but want some outsider input.

They do that if you're not riding it on the pipe constantly. If you're trail riding or putting around it's totally normal. It's called spooge.

Clean up your bottom end jetting and use a low flashpoint oil and it will be minimized. You may need to repack your silencer if it's soaked in oil. I have fought that on all my trail bikes, the bottom needs to be much leaner than standard if you spend all your time just above idle. But always make sure the main is big enough so you don't hurt it when it's wound up.

• Like 1

It’s far from normal, this will help explain and expand your knowledge of the 2 stroke engine.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/347305-is-your-two-stroke-running-rich-read-here/

I have a cr250 and I can lug or pin it all day with no spooge, same with my sons CR80 RB
Only if you want to constantly change jetting it ride the same terrain every time you ride. My bike is jetted to run a little fat on gnarly st trails with minimal spooge but runs clean on faster terrain. I ride from 0-7000ft and everything from west side mountain st to fast desert on the same jetting. You can run on the ragged edge of lean all the time if you'd rather f with your carb than ride. This guys a noob, he doesn't even know what spooge is, your advice will have him leaning things out into the danger zone.

On 11/28/2018 at 6:35 AM, Henryolson said:

Improper jetting is the most common cause of this but might not be the source in all cases.  An engine that’s not maintained properly can also cause spooge.  For example a head gasket leak can cause this, or a right side leaking crank seal.  Lots of other possibilities.  Just make sure you always check your fluid levels and stay current on all scheduled motor maintenance.

• Like 1