Sign in to follow this  

xr600r with toasted cam and swing arm rocker

Hello dudes, i have bought cheap XR which was very noise.

When i stripped down i have found that one lobe on cam and rocker arm on the on cam chain side toasted. The rest of rockers are in good shape, cam bearings, cam chain...

What kind of damage can cause this?

Rocker is pretty damaged.

Also, i have found that auto decomp mechanism is removed but i don't see holes for oil are plugged on cam, what hole needs to be plugged?

I mostly ask about it because i have ordered new cam and rocker so if i need to check more things, i need some advice, thank you in advance.IMG_20181123_1446233.jpegIMG_20181128_1609593.jpegIMG_20181128_1615221.jpeg

either was run with no oil, or oil su[pply is restricted... you need to check if the mesh filter in down tube is clean ,also the mesh filter in the clutch cover... also that the oilfilter cover  was put in the correctposition.

When you reassemble and start the engine , the feeder pipe to the head... undo the banjo bold to ensure there is oil flow to the top camcover... if not ,your oil pump is bad.

Thanks guys for replies (:

Yeah, oil starvation, that is what i thinking, too.

Because if you see the picture, the hole where was the decomp mechanism needs to be plugged so cam didn't have good oil flow?IMG_20181123_1446233.jpeg

YES.
One is supposed to tack weld that shut.
There's nothing there needing oil anymore so there's nothing impeding flow. Hot oil takes path of least resistance and is pouring out that open hole and not delivering enough elsewhere.
If cams fine, weld it shut and get new rockers.
You can measure lobes.

The one I just got going had the same issue.  I had to get a new cam and all the rocker.  I’d go ahead and get the bearings too - they’re cheap. Might as well get new valve seals (they’re cheap to) and lap the valves in.  Valve springs are pretty cheap too.  I went through the oil pump and cleaned out the frame and all oil lines to make sure everything was clear and free flowing.  Clean the screen behind the clutch cover while you’re at it and the screen behind the oil bolt on the frame.

When you have it all installed, verify that you have oil circulation at the little pipe going into the head.   You’ll be surprised how quiet and smooth the new parts are.  Sewing machine is a good analogy 

Edited by greenjeans
  • Like 1