Sign in to follow this  

2009 KTM 450 Exc oil issue

So I just did a long multi day ride in sand and ran it pretty hard and got home and went to change out my oil and low and behold I opened the oil drain and a trickle came out. Defiantly not the 0.65 liter I put in. 

So im thinking maybe pistion and rings? I am going to get a leak tester. Firstly, test it in TDC with the TDC screw in? If it is greater than 10% I’ll do piston and rings. Secondly, Should I be worried about the oil pump gears with low oil volume? 

Im hoping I haven’t ruined my bike. 

Thanks for reading

How much oil is in the transmission side?

It was pretty common for the early XC4 engines to lose a seal and blow all the engine oil into the transmission.

I didn’t measure the oil coming out of the trans side but it was a good amount. If it is the seal would that be a full engine tear down?

I had a 2009 400 XCFW which had high oil consumption. The rings wore quickly using the OEM parts. I put in a Wossner piston kit and the oil consumption was solved. I know of two other bikes of the same vintage that also had the problem. They both installed the Wossner kit and had great results.

Look through this thread and the other linked threads within...  The search box is your friend!